C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Need help resolving fuel problem!

Old 05-26-2015, 04:08 AM
MilaTheVette
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help resolving fuel problem!

2001 C5 LS1: So I just filled up for the first time in this car and noticed the fuel went down quick. At a 1/4 tank the car started to sputter and died as I accelerated. So I filled it up and the car took about 13 gallons and the gauge went to full. I've read a few threads and I'm not too sure were to start. Some say its an issue with the Fuel transfer from the right tank to left tank. What are some ways I can diagnose this problem? I put a can of that Techron fuel treatment in and the car fired up and ran okay, it's full now and I'm going to drive on it to see if it helps but what are some things I can do to fix it? Thanks.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:17 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

You are on the right track----Could be s sticky or lazy fuel transfer pump-I would fill again when empty and see how many miles you drove and how many gallons it takes to fill up---I think tit holds about 18 gallons when empty---
On next fill up put in a can of "SEAFOAM" fuel treatment---It is the best---Try again--If the same thing happens it's a major job to get the tanks out and install a new pump--
Don't know if there is a fuse or relay for the transfer pump but check that out too
Old 06-02-2015, 01:28 PM
MilaTheVette
Navigator

Originally Posted by tblu92
You are on the right track----Could be s sticky or lazy fuel transfer pump-I would fill again when empty and see how many miles you drove and how many gallons it takes to fill up---I think tit holds about 18 gallons when empty---
On next fill up put in a can of "SEAFOAM" fuel treatment---It is the best---Try again--If the same thing happens it's a major job to get the tanks out and install a new pump--
Don't know if there is a fuse or relay for the transfer pump but check that out too
Thanks I'll have to try that out, I actually just had to fill up again yesterday and it only took 11 gallons to fill up, so I would assume the issue still exists, next ill try the seafoam.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:10 PM
bostonenforcer
1st Gear

Default Fuel sending unit

Originally Posted by MilaTheVette
2001 C5 LS1: So I just filled up for the first time in this car and noticed the fuel went down quick. At a 1/4 tank the car started to sputter and died as I accelerated. So I filled it up and the car took about 13 gallons and the gauge went to full. I've read a few threads and I'm not too sure were to start. Some say its an issue with the Fuel transfer from the right tank to left tank. What are some ways I can diagnose this problem? I put a can of that Techron fuel treatment in and the car fired up and ran okay, it's full now and I'm going to drive on it to see if it helps but what are some things I can do to fix it? Thanks.
I had the same problem with my 1999 C5 coupe. The fuel gauge would fluxuate from half full to empty even after the vehicle was filled with fuel. I read several threads about adding Techron to the fuel and that it would restore the fuel sending unit to proper operating status.While I was skeptical , I tried it and it actually worked. I am currently only using 93 octane
shell V-power fuel along with citgo techron and the fuel gauge is working great and the performance of the vehicle,has also increased. I would like to thank the corvette forum for their words of wisedom. I'm a believer. Boston Strong !!!

Get notified of new replies

To Need help resolving fuel problem!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help resolving fuel problem!