C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

How Good is a "Street" Tune>

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 11:19 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

No adjustment needed for E10. The O2s read in Lamda and can add the necessary fuel. In fact, if you up size injectors appropriately, you can run E85 without a tune, but you won't get all of the advantages without the tune.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:01 PM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

Dropping mine off at ECS tomorrow. I was debating street tune - I had planned to drop it off about 2 weeks ago but they told me I couldn't as it was a wet day. I asked 'So what difference does that make?' He said -
'Well - we'll put a wideband O2 sensor on it, take it out, and floor it - and that doesn't fly in the wet.' I'm thinking I'll pay the extra for the dyno as I'd like to have the numbers as a baseline for anything else I do down the road.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:26 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

A strictly dyno tune will shoot for the best HP and TQ numbers at WOT only---Maybe OK to show off to your buddies and maybe for a manual trans track car
But for a D/D and occasional track day car ESPECIALLY with an auto trans a "street driven tune" is far superior as they address all the shift points --shift firmness--and TCC lock-up during P/T and WOT driving--as well as all the P/T and WOT engine tuning
As far as the engine goes today's narrowband 02's are far better than in the past and a tuner can get the WOT fuel very close without using a wideband--You can go one step better and get a street tune and have the tuner temporarily install a wideband in the tailpipe to get the fueling even more accurate--often for a little more $$
Yes a street tune is quite cheaper and on 95% of all cars it is very good and sufficient
A dyno tune can be pricey and usually won't address any trans or P/T engine tuning
As mentioned some dyno tuners now also include a street tune a as well This would be the optimum tune and most expensive
Old 07-31-2015, 08:29 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by jjc508520
Dropping mine off at ECS tomorrow. I was debating street tune - I had planned to drop it off about 2 weeks ago but they told me I couldn't as it was a wet day. I asked 'So what difference does that make?' He said -
'Well - we'll put a wideband O2 sensor on it, take it out, and floor it - and that doesn't fly in the wet.' I'm thinking I'll pay the extra for the dyno as I'd like to have the numbers as a baseline for anything else I do down the road.

Either tune incorporates a street tune here, the dyno just provides numbers and is the icing on the cake I guess.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:30 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Either tune incorporates a street tune here, the dyno just provides numbers and is the icing on the cake I guess.
Well, that and it's a more lawful method of loading the engine in 4th gear.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:04 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
dont you guys ever get caught?
Old 08-01-2015, 02:27 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

I can agree to all points previously made. The shop did a dyno tune after my cam install and the car was rough on the bottom end of the rpm range. After having a higher stall converter added, the shop, different one, did a street tune. Can is at the higher end of the medium scale so it will never drive like factory but they got it about 95% of the way there. Guy admitted that he threw it on the dyno anyway bc he it was easier than trying to go WOT on the street.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:10 PM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by chiefbob
The club I belong to is having a guy from FL (Horsepower Sales) come up our way and offered to do street tuning (no dyno, obviously) for the members at a reduced cost.

The owner states: "The difference is very noticeable. The car runs cooler, has much better throttle response, and the difference in the way the transmission shifts is like night and day. The car is so much more fun to drive and the money spent was well worth it."

"You might not be picking up a ton of horsepower on a stock car, but it does make a big difference in the low and mid range as you optimize the fueling and spark in those areas. Better drivability, smoother running, better MPG, more power, snappier throttle, increased SOTP feel, etc, etc...there are no downsides...except of course you will probably be bit by the mod bug once you feel it."

I have a 2004 automatic, 350 engine. No mods on it. So is it worth getting it street tuned for the stated benefits in quotes above?

Does it need to be tuned again after a certain amount of driving, or is it "one and done"?
I had a dyno tune done yesterday. Got the guys name off the forum. Stock 01 6m with a cold air kit and a 160 stat. Net 8.5hp and 5lbs tq gain shown on the dyno sheet. Plus he turned turned my fans on earlier now it runs cooler, killed the skip shift and turned the light into a shift light at 6,000 rpm, adjusted the rev limiter and speed limiter. The car feels much snappier and sounds meaner (sound is likely in my head). I hit second gear hard today in a straight line and it stepped out...it's chirped before but never did that. Worth every penny of $350. Do it!
Old 08-23-2015, 07:37 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

in my opinion street tuning is the way to go if the tuner knows what they are doing... mine has been tuned this way for the past 2-3 years and runs great... in my case it's also a more personal experience, not just drop it off and pick it up when it's done... I drive the car with the tuner in the passenger seat logging and making adjustments on the fly... if there's something I don't like I tell him and he fixes it right then and there... and then for wot tuning you do have to make a few redline pulls in high gear, in my case we start in 4th and run it to redline, so around 150mph... I put it on a dyno once afterwards just for curiosity and the graph was great, smooth curve all the way across the board... I was more concerned with it running properly as opposed to my peak #'s so that's why I had it street tuned to begin with
Old 08-24-2015, 09:41 AM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
in my opinion street tuning is the way to go if the tuner knows what they are doing... mine has been tuned this way for the past 2-3 years and runs great... in my case it's also a more personal experience, not just drop it off and pick it up when it's done... I drive the car with the tuner in the passenger seat logging and making adjustments on the fly... if there's something I don't like I tell him and he fixes it right then and there... and then for wot tuning you do have to make a few redline pulls in high gear, in my case we start in 4th and run it to redline, so around 150mph... I put it on a dyno once afterwards just for curiosity and the graph was great, smooth curve all the way across the board... I was more concerned with it running properly as opposed to my peak #'s so that's why I had it street tuned to begin with
Any competent shop will incorporate both steps. Personally I'm not a big fan of blasting a customers car to 150 while I'm looking at a the laptop...to much liability.

A good 80-90% can be done in a stable condition and the rest we also go out and "drive" the car. It also depends on the car....a bolt on car with known parts is much easier to dial in. A twin turbo 440 cubic inch ZO6 is a whole other ball game.

The only time we may take a customer out for calibration is if we are doing transmission calibrating as its much more subjective. The engine can only be done right and it is what it is..

HT
Old 08-24-2015, 11:16 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by romandian
dont you guys ever get caught?
We are near a military base and we have an "agreement" with the local LEO's. I do not drive fast on regular roads, my license is my living let alone the safety and liability factor.

Quick Reply: How Good is a "Street" Tune>