C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

boost timing hp tuners?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 01:47 PM
turbocvette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default boost timing hp tuners?

I am running a 2 bar sd and this is my first turbo tuning experience so sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject. And yes I have been searching but cant really get a good answer.
The main question I have is how do i know when (what table) to pull timing with boost? I have a lot of timing pulled in the cylinder air mass vs rpm i just don't know how to reference boost to the cylinder air mass. Right now i have seen boost on my logs at 2500 rpm so in the 2300 and up i have timing pulled out.
Or should i just keep adding timing now that my afr is set until i see kr and then subtract a percentage in that cell? That's what i got out of it so far to do but i just figured might be a better way or something i am missing.
Any help or info is always greatly appreciated!!
Old 06-27-2015, 01:08 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Data logging is the only way to see what your "actual timing "is on a run
You can set up your PID's by using KPA as a row and RPM as a column and KR as the data--- Any timing after 100 KPA is boosted
You need to see if there is any KR when boosted---If so back it off some in the high oc table---Most likely above .68 grams per cylinder---
Most street boosted LS engines don't need a lot of timing so don't be alarmed if the actual timing is only 11-15 *---

If you are seeing timing being pulled out (actual timing does not match commanded timing) then you are losing timing somewhere----BUT it is not from the boost
Typically it is from high IAT temps----high ECT temps--OR knock retard
Data logging KR will tell you if it's KR that is removing timing
To see if high IAT or ECT temps are the cause of timing being removed--takes some time to see what those temps are in your data log and them looking in your tune and reviewing those tables to see IF timing removal is coming from IAT or ECT temps---
Old 07-11-2015, 10:23 AM
mowton
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by turbocvette
I am running a 2 bar sd and this is my first turbo tuning experience so sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject. And yes I have been searching but cant really get a good answer.
The main question I have is how do i know when (what table) to pull timing with boost? I have a lot of timing pulled in the cylinder air mass vs rpm i just don't know how to reference boost to the cylinder air mass. Right now i have seen boost on my logs at 2500 rpm so in the 2300 and up i have timing pulled out.
Or should i just keep adding timing now that my afr is set until i see kr and then subtract a percentage in that cell? That's what i got out of it so far to do but i just figured might be a better way or something i am missing.
Any help or info is always greatly appreciated!!
So how did this work out for you? Inquiring minds want to know.

Ed M

Get notified of new replies

To boost timing hp tuners?

Quick Reply: boost timing hp tuners?