C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

C5 TPS & Base Idle Spark

Old 07-13-2015, 03:20 PM
kp1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default C5 TPS & Base Idle Spark

I have posited this in a tuner software/hardware forum but maybe someone here will be able to clarify this.

The TPS on my Z06 never reads less than 8-9%. In order for the Base Idle Spark Tables to be used, a closed throttle condition is required. That condition is defined as 1.19% or less.

I have logged my spark advance at idle and the actual spark is not related to the Base Idle Table. It is in fact being derived from the High Octane Spark Table.

So the conventional wisdom of creating a backstop for an idle condition that drops through desired idle and stalls or bounces around before settling down by increasing the spark values in the Base Idle Table does nothing.

So it looks like a C5 modified with a cam or heads that does not drop to idle and land softly must be addresses with Desired Airflow, Throttle Cracker, and High Octane Spark, assuming VE and MAF are in the ball park.

I suppose another option might be to change the closed throttle condition from 1.19% to something just above actual TPS idle values to activate Base Spark.

I have looked at the GM Service Manual and it indicates the idle TPS should be from 3% to 10%.

I know there are folks that delve in to this way deeper than I ever have, so can anyone elucidate?
Old 07-13-2015, 03:29 PM
mowton
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kp1
I have posited this in a tuner software/hardware forum but maybe someone here will be able to clarify this.

The TPS on my Z06 never reads less than 8-9%. In order for the Base Idle Spark Tables to be used, a closed throttle condition is required. That condition is defined as 1.19% or less.

I have logged my spark advance at idle and the actual spark is not related to the Base Idle Table. It is in fact being derived from the High Octane Spark Table.

So the conventional wisdom of creating a backstop for an idle condition that drops through desired idle and stalls or bounces around before settling down by increasing the spark values in the Base Idle Table does nothing.

So it looks like a C5 modified with a cam or heads that does not drop to idle and land softly must be addresses with Desired Airflow, Throttle Cracker, and High Octane Spark, assuming VE and MAF are in the ball park.

I suppose another option might be to change the closed throttle condition from 1.19% to something just above actual TPS idle values to activate Base Spark.

I have looked at the GM Service Manual and it indicates the idle TPS should be from 3% to 10%.

I know there are folks that delve in to this way deeper than I ever have, so can anyone elucidate?
So I answered you in the HP Tuners Forum, but for my Corvette Forum buds here is the a copy of the conversion chart....

Ed M
Attached Files
Old 07-13-2015, 09:38 PM
kp1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks Ed.

Conventional wisdom stands and I should be dropping into the Base Spark Table.

Absolute Throttle Position is not equal to Base Spark Closed Throttle Threshold. The Excel doc converts Absolute Throttle Position to a Base Spark Closed Throttle Threshold value.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:14 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Most all Drive by wire T-Bodies do NOT go to "0" at idle when reading the TPS with a scanner----Same goes for WOT--Most only show like 87% at WOT----I don't know if this is a scanner issue or not--But I have never had to raise the minimum TPS setting in a tune even with a racidically modded engine-- A drive bt wire engine also does not have an idle air control valve so the throttle is always somewhat open If you take off the air intake and look at the throttle blade even with the key OFF the blade comes to rest slightly opened---

Get notified of new replies

To C5 TPS & Base Idle Spark

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 TPS & Base Idle Spark