C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

98 tune with hp Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 09:39 AM
Jeredk21
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 98 tune with hp Tuners

I have the hp Tuners pro with VCM suite, my problem is I have no idea what I am doing. I have read page after page. I feel I have a decent tune as of now and I have my afr's in a safe level. Car has ls6 intake, vara ram cold air and b&b long tubes. I have a aem afr gauge. Looking for another tune that I can compare to mine. I changed fan temps, turned of cags, and made some small fuel adjustments but I think I am getting false knock and timing is being pulled out i would guess as I seem to loose power gains after 4500 rpm. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:34 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Look at your commanded timing or asked for timing in your tune in the high oct table and compare that to your actual timing in your data log
Your data logger will show if timing is being removed via the KR system--BUT if after subtracting the KR from the commanded you still have some timing being mysteriously removed--then look at the following
Look at your IAT temps in your data log--let's say the IAT temp is 125* then look in your tune under the IAT temp deduct table for approx. 125*---( look at the cylinder air equal to WOT which should be about .60 grams) see if your tune is removing timing from there
Do the same for your coolant temp---Look at the actual temp from your data log and look at your ECT deduct table to see if any timing is being removed from high coolant temps
My guess is that unless you massaged your IAT table in your tune your ECM may remove about 5* of timing from high IAT's and maybe another 1-2* from high ECT's
This is a common issue with tuning and most always the IAT temps are FALSE and the ECT deducts are simply too much--All this can be corrected with a proper tune---
If you can figure out what I am talking about and this is your case--email me and I will show you how to correct it--
Old 07-16-2015, 09:23 AM
Jeredk21
Pro

Default 98 tune with hp Tuners

Thanks for the response. I will have to take a look at what you said. Very helpful. Thank you
Old 07-16-2015, 10:47 AM
mowton
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeredk21
I have the hp Tuners pro with VCM suite, my problem is I have no idea what I am doing. I have read page after page. I feel I have a decent tune as of now and I have my afr's in a safe level. Car has ls6 intake, vara ram cold air and b&b long tubes. I have a aem afr gauge. Looking for another tune that I can compare to mine. I changed fan temps, turned of cags, and made some small fuel adjustments but I think I am getting false knock and timing is being pulled out i would guess as I seem to loose power gains after 4500 rpm. Any help would be appreciated.
Another area to look is your AFR. Have you logged your long term and short term fuel trims (LTFT/STFT)? If you have been letting your WB tell you AFR's are good, you might be being mislead. The Trims will always be trying to maintain stoich so you either need to set tune into open loop (and clear trims) or tune with the trims. If the trims are say +10% (WB will read 14.68 saying all is good) the pcm will actuall add 10% more fueling when you go wide open throttle (Open loop power enrichment). This can result in a rich (safe) mixture but cost you some power.

Ed M
Old 07-16-2015, 02:54 PM
Jeredk21
Pro

Attaching a log, not 100% sure if I know what I am doing. I am still very new to HP Tuners.
Attached Files
File Type: csv
1st.csv (658.1 KB, 152 views)
File Type: hpl
1st.hpl (202.4 KB, 143 views)
Old 07-17-2015, 10:43 AM
mowton
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeredk21
Attaching a log, not 100% sure if I know what I am doing. I am still very new to HP Tuners.
Had to change the extension on the log file you posted. was coming up .htm so I changed to .hpl and it opened in VCM Scanner :-).

Tune looks a bit rich (-6 to -15 negative short term trims) from about 3600 rpm and down. Upwards still a but rich and can't tell when you go wide open because that transitions to open loop (trims opearate in closed loop only to maintain stoich AFR) where the trims go to zero. Need a wideband to tune those area's.....didnt see it added to your Table display. Let me know if you need a hand doing that or maybe some training on the softwware in general.

Timing seems a bit high as well and there are a few cases of knock (1 in attached).

I would add the MAF Hz PID to you .cfg as well as Dynamic Airflow and of course a wideband.

Ed M
Attached Images  

Last edited by mowton; 07-17-2015 at 10:45 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 98 tune with hp Tuners

Quick Reply: 98 tune with hp Tuners