C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Car dies randomly.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 08:48 PM
edilberovic
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car dies randomly.

Hey i am new to this forum.
Last week i picked up a 97 vette.

In the past week the car has died on me 3 times. Once in my drive way early in the morning i went to start it turns over and just bogs down and dies i waited a few seconds did it again and it turned on just fine.

Another time was at work did the same thing but this time it took a few tries to get it going and a lot of pumping of the gas and just putting it in drive quickly and taking off.

Today I was at the drive though and im at the window and the car just died. had to do the same as before give it gas real quick put it in drive and go.

The car is a beast other wise. I would really appreciate any help I could get to troubleshoot this problem
Old 07-27-2015, 02:17 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Dying can be a result of many things---sounds like your car is basically stock otherwise
so that narrows down what it can be
I would do the following or have it done by a shop but these are easy procedures
1. Make sure your air filter is clean
2. make sure there are no intake air leaks anywhere in your intake tract-- cracked hoses- loose clamps--
3. take out your MAF and clean it with Brakeclean ( if you have an oiled air filter quite often they are over oiled and this will foul your MAF
4. While the intake tract is off clean your throttle body with Brakeclean---Open the blade and spray it in generously especially around the port inside on the left side---Wipe it down with a clean rag-- and do it again---Be careful not to bend the blade
These things quite often fix 95% of a dying problem
If it still dies--- report back and I'll tell you what to look for next---
Old 07-29-2015, 02:05 PM
edilberovic
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tblu92
Dying can be a result of many things---sounds like your car is basically stock otherwise
so that narrows down what it can be
I would do the following or have it done by a shop but these are easy procedures
1. Make sure your air filter is clean
2. make sure there are no intake air leaks anywhere in your intake tract-- cracked hoses- loose clamps--
3. take out your MAF and clean it with Brakeclean ( if you have an oiled air filter quite often they are over oiled and this will foul your MAF
4. While the intake tract is off clean your throttle body with Brakeclean---Open the blade and spray it in generously especially around the port inside on the left side---Wipe it down with a clean rag-- and do it again---Be careful not to bend the blade
These things quite often fix 95% of a dying problem
If it still dies--- report back and I'll tell you what to look for next---
So it happened again with a buddy with me who is a tech. He unplugged the MAF and it ran fine. This weekend I will take the MAF out and clean it and see of that helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Car dies randomly.

Quick Reply: Car dies randomly.