C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

P1336 code

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 10:55 AM
slow-v6
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default P1336 code

here is my dilemma.. On my 98 coupe, I am getting a p1336 crank sensor variation error.. I have replaced the sensor, and my tune tried to relearn the sensor via hp tuners.. Would not work.. We even tried to do the Lear with the accessory belt off, and still nothing.. I went to a Chevy dealership yesterday, and they tried to do the relearn with gm tech 2, but there was no option to relearn the sensor in their handhelds.. They even told me that the 1336 error doesn't even come up in their troubleshooting books.. I am stumped. Gonna take the car to another dealership tomorrow, to see if they can relearn the sensor.. Anyone have issues like this before, and if so, what was your solution?
Old 08-02-2015, 11:11 PM
Russ K
Burning Brakes

On your car, the P1336 code is set to no error reported. Sounds like someone tuned the car and enabled that code.

Russ Kemp
Old 08-03-2015, 04:38 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

My 98 also had p1336 set to not reported
I know I did a crank sensor re-learn on my 98 when I installed a new cam just to be sure and it does work with EFILIVE and I would assume it would with HP
Remember that in order to do a re-learn there are several parameters that must be reached before the procedure can work----
Here are EFILIVE instructions :

Please take the following precautions:
 Apply the vehicle's parking brake.
 Close hood.
 Turn off all accessories (including A/C).
 Place transmission in park (auto) or neutral (manual).
 Keep foot on brake during the learn procedure.
 Only one successful learn procedure per ignition cycle is learnt.
 Once the learn procedure is started, you have 10 seconds in which to complete the test.
The four monitors will display the following values from the vehicle:
 ECT - Engine coolant temperature must be between 150°F and 220°F (65°C and 105°C).
 RPM - Engine speed should be below 2400rpm prior to starting the learn procedure.
 TPS - Throttle position sensor.
 VSS - Vehicle speed sensor.
None of the following diagnostic trouble codes must be set - or the CKP learn procedure will not run:
 P0335 Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor A Circuit
 P0336 Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor A Performance
 P0341 Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Performance Bank 1 Sensor A
 P0342 Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor A
 P0343 Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit High Bank 1 Sensor A
 P0117 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit Low
 P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit High
 P1539 Air Conditioning (A/C) Clutch Feedback Circuit High Voltage
 P1546 Air Conditioning (A/C) Clutch Feedback Circuit Open
 P0705 Transmission Range (TR) Switch Circuit
 P0706 Transmission Range (TR) Switch Performance
 P1810 Transmission Fluid Pressure (TFP) Position Switch Circuit
 P1825 Internal Mode Switch-Invalid Range

Relearn Procedure:
Start the engine and allow it to idle until it has reached operating temperature: 150°F or 65°C. Once all four monitors have turned green the [CKP Learn] button will be enabled. During the learn procedure the four monitors will not be updated.
 Click on the [CKP Learn (F3)] button - or press the F3 hotkey.
 If you have configured a delayed start, wait for the delay to elapse. When the delay has elapsed the alarm sound will be played and EFILive will initiate the learn procedure.
 Using the vehicle's accelerator pedal, raise the engine speed to 5,000rpm. The PCM will cut fuel to the fuel injectors once the engine reaches the required speed, which may be prior to 5,000rpm.
 When the fuel injectors are cut, the engine will stumble momentarily, release the throttle immediately. The PCM will only cut the injectors for about 1/2 second.
 Allow the engine speed to drop back to idle.
 Turn the ignition OFF for at least 15 seconds to allow the PCM to "save" the learned info

Last edited by tblu92; 08-03-2015 at 04:51 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:34 AM
slow-v6
Burning Brakes

Cool thanks guys.. At another dealer just to see if they can relearn the sensor.. So Russ, on a 98 the code is non reportable? Does that mean there is no code, and everything is normal, or does that mean there is a issue, just gm didn't set it to trip for some reason??
Old 08-03-2015, 06:14 PM
Russ K
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slow-v6
Cool thanks guys.. At another dealer just to see if they can relearn the sensor.. So Russ, on a 98 the code is non reportable? Does that mean there is no code, and everything is normal, or does that mean there is a issue, just gm didn't set it to trip for some reason??
Yes, on the 1998's code P1336 is set to no error reported. No need for a crank relearn, just set the code to no error reported and uncheck the SES box. Then everything will be normal.

Russ Kemp
Old 11-14-2016, 06:45 PM
flattopfred
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ K
Yes, on the 1998's code P1336 is set to no error reported. No need for a crank relearn, just set the code to no error reported and uncheck the SES box. Then everything will be normal.

Russ Kemp
hi there i have sort of the same issue with my ls1 engine that i have in my 1954 ford f100 im getting a p1336 code (crank relearn) this code jest came out of no where one day my truck was running fine the next day it was missfiring so i thought it might have been the sensor so i replaced that tryed to clear the code but i had no luck i then tryed to do the relearn with my snapon solus edge scan tool and the test did not complete i then had a gm tech use a tech 2 scan tool to try and relearn but it was unsuccessful i then checked continuity from the wires on the crank sensor plug to the pcm connectors and it all checked out good i then spoke to the gm tech and he seams to think my pcm is gone so i am stumped is there anyway to confirm if the pcm is gone ????? or know what i can try out next ?
Old 03-16-2023, 02:17 PM
LebowskiC5
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but my 2000 C5 posted P1336 today. No recent changes, the car does have a texas speed cam.

Should I buy a hptuner or equivalent and go through the relearn process, or does this not apply to my year model?

Also, is it safe to drive home (3 miles) until I can get the stuff needed to relearn (if needed).

The following users liked this post:
C5 Diag (03-17-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 03:07 PM
LebowskiC5
Heel & Toe

UPDATE: Cranked the car again and the check engine light is off, and code is gone
The following users liked this post:
C5 Diag (03-17-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 10:20 PM
LebowskiC5
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by LebowskiC5
UPDATE: Cranked the car again and the check engine light is off, and code is gone
The code is back now. I don’t have a tuner so maybe I should go to a shop to see if they can do the relearn procedure?

Last edited by LebowskiC5; 04-09-2023 at 10:28 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To P1336 code

Quick Reply: P1336 code