C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Tuning/Idle Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 08:58 AM
mikeb64
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Tuning/Idle Issues

Recently had my Z06 in for worked 243 heads, Fast 102 Intake and TB and Tune. Car has BTR cam, underdrive pulley, 42# injectors. Car made solid numbers for HP (465) and TQ (455) on a Dynoject but I have 3 concerns:
1. After you drive the car at normal speeds, it idles at 2000 RPM's for awhile (45 seconds or longer) before it will try to find an idle speed of 950 or 1000 RPM. On occasions, it will idle up and down from 1500 to 1900 RPM for no reason. Is the 102 intake allowing more air into engine and now needs more fuel?
2. Car seems sluggish or soft below 3200 RPM and before the recent the last set of mods, before the mods the car was much more throttle responsive.
3. AFR was 13.44, which seems lean from what I have read, where should the AFR be on the H/C/I car?

Any ideas or suggestions on where to start?

Thanks
Old 11-10-2015, 07:59 AM
mowton
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeb64
Recently had my Z06 in for worked 243 heads, Fast 102 Intake and TB and Tune. Car has BTR cam, underdrive pulley, 42# injectors. Car made solid numbers for HP (465) and TQ (455) on a Dynoject but I have 3 concerns:
1. After you drive the car at normal speeds, it idles at 2000 RPM's for awhile (45 seconds or longer) before it will try to find an idle speed of 950 or 1000 RPM. On occasions, it will idle up and down from 1500 to 1900 RPM for no reason. Is the 102 intake allowing more air into engine and now needs more fuel?
2. Car seems sluggish or soft below 3200 RPM and before the recent the last set of mods, before the mods the car was much more throttle responsive.
3. AFR was 13.44, which seems lean from what I have read, where should the AFR be on the H/C/I car?

Any ideas or suggestions on where to start?

Thanks
Having trouble ramping down to idle is a good indication you may have too much air, either by the tune or a vacumn leak. Per you question, I am assuming the cam and other mods had already been installed and tune and were ok.

The new intake and TB definitely need tuning especially if the TB is larger. There is an ETC scalar which is used to convert mm2 to TP% opening. Stock is .0255 and a 90mm is .0192. For a 102 it is around .0120 iirc. When this is changed, the minimum idle aie (Idle desired air) and several other idle control tables will need to be canged as well as the throttle Cracker and Follower. Also make sure the intake was installed with the correct valley plate button bolts. If not, then when being torqued down, it will crack and generate a vacumn leak. That being said the FAST 102 having a 3 piece design, does have a tendency to leak at times so check it out with a smoker. You can google smoking an engine and find a driveway trick with a soda bottle and a cigarette.

The lack of low end response could be associated with a vacuum leak as well or the tuner didn't tweak the VE which is the alternate air table to the MAF used to "fill in" when non-steady stae conditions occur like acceleration.

Lastly, 13.44 AFR at WOT is definitely too lean. Should be in the 12.5 to 12.8 area for my liking.

Ed M

Last edited by mowton; 11-10-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:01 AM
mikeb64
Instructor

Originally Posted by mowton
Having trouble ramping down to idle is a good indication you may have too much air, either by the tune or a vacumn leak. Per you question, I am assuming the cam and other mods had already been installed and tune and were ok.

The new intake and TB definitely need tuning especially if the TB is larger. There is an ETC scalar which is used to convert mm2 to TP% opening. Stock is .0255 and a 90mm is .0192. For a 102 it is around .0120 iirc. When this is changed, the minimum idle aie (Idle desired air) and several other idle control tables will need to be canged as well as the throttle Cracker and Follower. Also make sure the intake was installed with the correct valley plate button bolts. If not, then when being torqued down, it will crack and generate a vacumn leak. That being said the FAST 102 having a 3 piece design, does have a tendency to leak at times so check it out with a smoker. You can google smoking an engine and find a driveway trick with a soda bottle and a cigarette.

The lack of low end response could be associated with a vacuum leak as well or the tuner didn't tweak the VE which is the alternate air table to the MAF used to "fill in" when non-steady stae conditions occur like acceleration.

Lastly, 13.44 AFR at WOT is definitely too lean. Should be in the 12.5 to 12.8 area for my liking.

Ed M
Thanks Mowton for the comments. The car had cam, under drive pulley, LT's and injectors already installed and ran well. Car then had cam surge, much more throttle responsive before heads and Fast install. Car now (with 243 heads and Fast 102 & TB) is having idle issues and seems soft at lower RPM's, sorry i wasn't clear.
The car pulls hard on big end, but i agree is seems like a vacuum leak or as you say it has so much more air flow with intake and heads it is trying to find a good idle speed. It will finally come down and idle at 1000 RPM after a 45-60 period of idling at 2000 so not sure if vacuum leak or other is causing this as it finds idle later, much later.
I think it is a combo of Fast & TB and tune needs tweaking ( I hope). I am not a tuner and have to rely on the experts to tune. I will take your comments and see if I can find a crack or leak around intake.
Thanks again
Old 11-13-2015, 10:34 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

So many mods all at once makes it difficult to narrow down exactly where the issue lies--
1st of all you must be sure your tuner inputted the correct IFR table for your 42 lb injectors---and remember that most injectors are rated at 3 bar where a C5 is rated at 4 bar-this can make a huge mismatch
2nd all your other mods can create tuning issues just one at a time -but all at once it makes it difficult to diagnose
If all tolled you have ended up with a high idle or a high idle surge regardless which mod caused it you seem to have too much idle air in gear which causes an idle hanging-- To correct this you need to remove a % of desired idle in gear--I would start with 10-15%
THEN with a cam you should have raised the "base idle timing" at leas by 3-4* this will prevent idle hunting or surge---
And finally the 13.44 AFR---Is that AFR during P/T or at WOT ?
At P/T throttle this would be a RICH condition as the AFR should be 14.68
But if the 13.44 is at WOT then the AFR is extremely LEAN where a safe WOT AFR should be between 12.50 and 12.90---
Chances are your VE table is way off if tour tuner did not do any VE tuning--If you checked the WOT fuel with a wideband and it is in fact a real 13.44 Then most likely your injectors flow rate needs an adjustment as well as your VE table---
As a start to make the WOT fuel richer ---I would add 20% to your VE table from 2000 RPM on up---then again check the AFR if still lean I would LOWER the IFR only at WOT by 10% and check it again-A lower IFR rate makes the fueling richer--
Old 11-14-2015, 05:16 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

I agree with Ed.
Too bad you didn't use the GM 90 TB. It's plenty large enough at that power level. And easier to tune.
Is this a speed density tune? Or is there a MAF?

Either way, there are a few " *****" a tuner can use to set WOT AFR.....but if the AFR doesn't follow the value commanded by the power enrichment table, the other ***** aren't adjusted properly.

At any rate, 13.4 is lean. Something is off in the calibration.

FWIW, it's not uncommon to see leaner numbers on the road than were seen on the dyno.

Ron
Old 11-15-2015, 11:00 AM
mikeb64
Instructor

Originally Posted by tblu92
So many mods all at once makes it difficult to narrow down exactly where the issue lies--
1st of all you must be sure your tuner inputted the correct IFR table for your 42 lb injectors---and remember that most injectors are rated at 3 bar where a C5 is rated at 4 bar-this can make a huge mismatch
2nd all your other mods can create tuning issues just one at a time -but all at once it makes it difficult to diagnose
If all tolled you have ended up with a high idle or a high idle surge regardless which mod caused it you seem to have too much idle air in gear which causes an idle hanging-- To correct this you need to remove a % of desired idle in gear--I would start with 10-15%
THEN with a cam you should have raised the "base idle timing" at leas by 3-4* this will prevent idle hunting or surge---
And finally the 13.44 AFR---Is that AFR during P/T or at WOT ?
At P/T throttle this would be a RICH condition as the AFR should be 14.68
But if the 13.44 is at WOT then the AFR is extremely LEAN where a safe WOT AFR should be between 12.50 and 12.90---
Chances are your VE table is way off if tour tuner did not do any VE tuning--If you checked the WOT fuel with a wideband and it is in fact a real 13.44 Then most likely your injectors flow rate needs an adjustment as well as your VE table---
As a start to make the WOT fuel richer ---I would add 20% to your VE table from 2000 RPM on up---then again check the AFR if still lean I would LOWER the IFR only at WOT by 10% and check it again-A lower IFR rate makes the fueling richer--
Thanks tblu92 for your comments. To clarify the last mods added were the "massaged" 243 heads from LME and Fast 102 and TB. The car had cam, under drive pulley, LT's, 42# injectors already on car before heads and fast 102. Car was really throttle responsive and made good power based on cam, under drive pulley, stock intake and TB, LT's.

Car was tuned with MAF not speed density.

It was recommended by tuner to use Fast 102 and TB after heads were installed.
I will be using another tuner here in Houston this week to see if they can tune the car and it get it straightened out and run properly. I hope the new tuner can tune with the Fast 102 &TB installed as it is an expensive bolt on.
Once car warms up the idling or lack there of becomes worse or higher, up to 2000 RPM. Once it is warmed up i hear a whine from engine when driving low speeds or idling. I don't hear the whine when it is cold but after car warms up it is noticeable. It almost feels like there is a vacuum leak but haven't been able to track it down yet. car seems to run pretty well in upper RPM's but haven't pushed it as I don't trust tune or AFR readings.

Thanks again for your comments, I will pass them along to tuner to see if this helps.

Mike
Old 11-17-2015, 10:36 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

you might be running out of fuel on the top end. what pump do you have?

Get notified of new replies

To Tuning/Idle Issues

Quick Reply: Tuning/Idle Issues