C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Should I buy a tuner/ which one for my needs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 05:02 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Should I buy a tuner/ which one for my needs?

So I have a 97' Z51 6speed. Live in California so smog is an issue.
With that said, I will need to remove my exhaust every two years to pass the visual portion of the smog test and retune to pass the sniffer portion.

My mods will be the following as far as the engine goes.
Advanced Induction CNC ported 243 heads.
AI spec'd 224/224 115lsa cam (90% on the specs) been a year since I bought it. Yet to install heads/cam
LG 1 7/8" Super Pro headers w/cats
LS6 Intake w/ modified Vararam air intake
25% under-drive pulley

The headers eliminate the air injection system but I plan to leave it on the car. Will either unplug or pull fuse.
When smog time comes, will pull headers and put stock exhaust back on for test.

So what I will need is a hand held tuner that will save my heads/cam/headers tune for when I have all the goodies installed. Then also have a smog tune for when I have to swap over to the stock exhaust for the testing. The heads and cam will still be on but I will be running the stock exhaust and air intake setup to pass the visual. At the time I chose the cam, AI and the tuner I planned to use both said that cam is mild enough to pass the sniffer with the proper tune.

What I don't want is to have to have pay a tuner to do it for me every two years. I'm hoping to just pay him for my performance dyno/street tune when I install it all. Then pay him to tune it again with the smog setup on. Have a hand held tuner that will store both those tunes so I can do it on my own in the future.

So what should I go with as far as a tuner and any other advice?
Please don't tell me to sell the heads and cam and go with a supercharger. Already went this route and am ok to swap exhaust every two years. It's a weekend of work with beer and music. I can live with it. Just don't want to pay a tuner every couple years.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:27 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

None of the handehelds will do what you want---Maybe except for Diablo---Check with them 1st --tell them you want to save the STOCK tune and save another tune for the mods that are not smog legal---And you want to be able to load them whenever you like--
If Diablo says they can't ----then you are left with either HP Tuners or EFILVE at a much higher cost around $800 to do what you like--- Research them both and decide-
I did the same thing years ago and chose EFILIVE mainly for their support and their tables are better described and easier to figure out if you plan on ever making any changes yourself
PS: I think Diablo is about 1/2 the cost of HP and EFILIVE
Old 12-13-2015, 12:08 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Diablo Trinity will do it.
If and only if the two custom tunes were done with Diablo's CMR tuning software.
Piece of cake then.

Diablo won't read a tune done by others tuning software.

I tune hemi Mopars with both HP Tuners and Diablo CMR.

Ron
Old 12-13-2015, 02:10 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn. That sure changes things!!! Guess I will contact the tuner and see what he says.
Damn **** Cali!!
Old 12-14-2015, 01:52 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

The solution for you would be to buy a spare PCM. Have it cloned to your car. Then have it tuned for your emissions test.
PCM is easy swap in the C5.

Biggest problem there is your 97 uses a hard to find PCM.

Ron
Old 12-14-2015, 12:14 PM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

1997 is not supported.. too old.. diablo tool will not work on it..

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3, short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, catch-can, ported/polished TB, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Get notified of new replies

To Should I buy a tuner/ which one for my needs?

Quick Reply: Should I buy a tuner/ which one for my needs?