C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Advice for noob on possible C5 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 06:33 AM
Tacteam1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for noob on possible C5 purchase

I'm new to Vettes but not cars. 93 FD RX-7 TT and a stable of Mustangs/Cobras are in my history. I've been researching a while and have read the info on some potential problems on the 97-00 models. However, I test drove an 02 Base with 95k miles the other day and noticed the warning system showing to check abs and to check traction control system. I've talked the guy down to $11,800. Is this worth it? What am I getting into with this? I'm a car guy and know maintaining cars is part of the hobby and a must, but don't really know what I'm getting myself into with a C5. I'm a quick learner and figure if I can learn the rotary motor of the RX-7 and the modular motor of a Cobra, surely I can learn my way around the
LS platform. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-17-2015, 12:41 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

See:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...control+system
Old 12-17-2015, 12:42 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Here's something else you'll want to do:

Old 12-18-2015, 10:37 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Both the ABS and the traction control use data from the wheel speed sensors at each wheel--The ABS to stop skidding on a hard stop and the TC to stop spinning on a hard launch
If you are getting a message for both then most likely all you have is a fouled -dirty or broken wheel speed sensor "pigtail" This is very common--also sometimes simply driving on a rough road or over railroad tracks will trigger these messages----You can simply clear all the codes 1st to see if the re-appear if they do then look at the pigtails
Old 12-19-2015, 03:40 AM
Tacteam1
Advanced

Thank you both very much for the info!
Old 01-07-2016, 08:17 PM
C5_Finatic2000
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Tacteam1
Thank you both very much for the info!
I bought mine for 10,820 but if you ask me I was totally ripped off. Bought it from a car lot but it was the salesman's car. He told me it had warranty so I thought about it for a week and went back and bought the car. I'm 20 years old was 19 when I bought it first car ever bought with a bank note and was so excited about it I couldn't wait to drive it and call it my own. Read the first 3 pages of the contract and just started signing. Didn't even read the last page. Turned out it didn't have warranty and the passenger window wouldn't roll down. They replaced that for free. Then one of the fans didn't even have any blades on it they replaced that for free too. A week later tranny went out and I wasn't even hard on it at all. Maybe got on it couple times but that's it. They wouldn't even touch thay car after that. So I had to get it fixed cost me 1400$. 2 days after that rear end started roaring and just got worse and worse. Finally got enough money to get it fixed which cost 1700$. Then the ignition went out. That was another 400 dollars. Then the outer ring on the harmonic balancer slipped off. Another 400 dollars. So I'm already over 4k into this car and I haven't even had it 2 years. Was gonna sell it and find another one in better shape but I realized I done put that much money into it and I knew I wouldn't get no where near what I wanted so I kept it. Just goes to show you to DEFINITELY look over EVERYTHING!!!! Not to mention the salesman who sold me a car, hit a deer or dog and completely ripped the bolts that hold the skid bar out of the frame. Still haven't got that fixed yet. So just remember to double maybe triple check everything before buying one of these cars. They are definitely not something you wanna go out and tear up.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice for noob on possible C5 purchase

Quick Reply: Advice for noob on possible C5 purchase