C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Need advice on tune and/or where please

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 08:32 PM
RoninC5
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Need advice on tune and/or where please

Hi All-

Ok, so I picked up a 99 coupe 39K miles, (auto) great shape etc. etc. Ran great and pulled well-nothing wrong with the motor. However at WOT (or close) the rev limiter kicked in. It would not shift. Seller took to Dealer. Dealer checks a bunch of stuff and nothing amiss. Then he re flashes and viola! the problem disappeared. (Last owner had it 10 years and never touched it)

Have not done a ton of miles yet but feels like she lost some punch too.

Question:

1. With a K&N CAI and Borla exhaust (already installed when purchased) do I NEED a tune? i.e. to achieve max hp, eliminate a possible fuel rich scenario, health of vehicle etc.??
2. Anyone know someone who is good with this stuff (diagnostics/adjustments) in N. Colorado?

Thanks.. I have read a bunch on here but there are varying opinions so I thought I would ask my own question...All/any advice welcome!
Old 01-28-2016, 05:26 PM
RoninC5
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Kill Thread

I'm getting great responses on the local forum.. thanks though
Old 02-07-2016, 12:18 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Sounds like someone at some point altered the shift points at WOT or you have rear tires that are not the same height as stock--this would make it not shift at WOT and hit the safety rev limiter----
A CAI and catback exh are not major mods but they do take some learning of the ECM to correct the fuel trims---Normally it only takes about 50-75 miles of normal driving for the fuel to learn out---Typically those mods will make the eng produce more airflow---So at P/T the engine will be lean but at WOT it will be rich and lazy---
If you have already driven it over 75 miles and it still seems lazy then YES I would deff. get a tune---
The following users liked this post:
RoninC5 (02-07-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on tune and/or where please

Quick Reply: Need advice on tune and/or where please