C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Mayhem Motorsports in Raleigh, NC

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 04:50 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Mayhem Motorsports in Raleigh, NC

I went to Mayhem Motorsports in Raleigh, NC and met Jay to discuss him possibly doing some work on my C5 Corvette. To say I was impressed with him, the crew and the shop is a vast understatement. Great group of guys he has assembled there. Everyone I spoke with there has a great attitude and that means so much on first contact. Jay gave me the whole tour and showed me several examples of cars just like mine with mods just like I have and want to do. I purchased my Vette with many modifications already performed on it and some shops don't like to work behind somebody else. Not a problem for Mayhem Motorsports. Jay was able to schedule an appointment within two weeks to straighten out the few issues that exist and install and tune in a new cam, converter and other things as well. The car is actually there now and it's supposed to be ready by next week. He started off doing a baseline dyno and confirmed the tune was way off. It was richer than 10:1 A/F ratio the entire pull with almost no timing. Explains why the tailpipes stay black no matter how much cleaning is done on them. I can't wait to see the finished result. Feeling like a kid before Christmas right now. I'll post up again after picking the car up but right now I'm absolutely convinced I picked the right place and people to work on the new toy. Thanks in advance for everything Jay.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:06 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Been going to them for over 6 years now....

Great bunch of guys and build some badass cars
Old 03-01-2016, 06:27 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

Quick update. Car is almost done. Jay has been great in keeping me up to date on what he's found, options for me to cure the ills he's found and pricing. He's given me recommendations on everything but let me decide what I could afford to do. At this point I could not have asked for anything more out of anyone. The final touches are going on the car this week to hopefully be ready next week sometime. He's called me a half dozen times with updates to "keep me in the loop" according to him. Honestly, does it get any better than that? I think not. Here's a pic of what he's working on.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:00 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

Picked up the car today. Man, what a difference. No longer rich and blowing black smoke. Car starts and instantly falls into a nice idle even with the 237/251 on a 115.5 LSA cam. The 1997 computer isn't supposed to work so well but they made it work flawlessly. Jay and crew found my radiator and intercooler plugged up badly so they cleaned everything while it was out. Car is running about 30-40 degrees cooler now and it's right on the 160 degree thermostat. They installed the cam, new Yank PY3600 converter, changed the supercharger pulley, fabricated a new inlet hose from the intercooler to the throttle body, installed a meth kit and built me a new dual pump/dual line fuel system that will actually supply enough fuel for the motor. I'm officially out of injector and supercharger now. They worked with my shift points until they were satisfied with what they saw but said they will gladly change things if they're not perfect when we hit the track with the car. The whole experience with Mayhem makes me feel great about being a car enthusiast. They're there to help you realize your goals and truly are into cars as much as anyone. Jay is even going to try a new upgraded impeller in the supercharger in the next few weeks along with some larger fuel injectors to see if we can pull a little more power out of it. My advice, call Jay the next time you want something done on your LS powered vehicle. I'm sure you'll be as happy with the decision to call them as I was. Jay, if you ever see this post, thank you for everything. It's truly a pleasure dealing with a company as fantastic as yours.

Last edited by smokinstorm; 03-05-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:38 AM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Im glad your happy with them. I will never deal with them ever again After seeing the work they did with my car though. Just posting this up for anyone else thinking of going there. I took the car to them when I had more money then time. Bell housing bolts were loose when they "finished" my $3500 trans rebuild and Clutch job. They didn't put in a new rear main seal either with the clutch job. So the new clutch was toast after about 2 months once I realized it was leaking. They have or had a very rude guy working the front desk also. Asked them to save my LS6 flywheel because it looked fine and of coarse it went missing after I made it a point to tell them to save it. $3500 later Ill never let them touch my car ever again. Im not the only local who has had issues with the work they have done or issues with a tune either. Most people have switched to some other shop that I know who don't work on there own cars.

Just had to throw my review in. That's how bad the Customer service and work was for me.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:38 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnny wangwang
Im glad your happy with them. I will never deal with them ever again After seeing the work they did with my car though. Just posting this up for anyone else thinking of going there. I took the car to them when I had more money then time. Bell housing bolts were loose when they "finished" my $3500 trans rebuild and Clutch job. They didn't put in a new rear main seal either with the clutch job. So the new clutch was toast after about 2 months once I realized it was leaking. They have or had a very rude guy working the front desk also. Asked them to save my LS6 flywheel because it looked fine and of coarse it went missing after I made it a point to tell them to save it. $3500 later Ill never let them touch my car ever again. Im not the only local who has had issues with the work they have done or issues with a tune either. Most people have switched to some other shop that I know who don't work on there own cars.

Just had to throw my review in. That's how bad the Customer service and work was for me.
I don't want to try to discredit your opinion of them or experience with them but did you speak with Jay and voice your concerns after the work was completed? I know for sure I got all my old parts back and didn't even specifically ask for them. They made sure they loaded all the old parts for me in the truck we used for towing the trailer. Didn't have to touch anything myself. How long ago was this? If not long, you might want to call Jay now. He really seems like the kind of stand up guy that would not let a customer go unsatisfied. Again, this is my opinion of him. I'm truly sorry you had a bad experience with Jay and crew at Mayhem.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:55 PM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

This was when they were in the Old Building. Im not sure what the guys name was who worked the front Desk. But I literally almost asked the dude if he wanted to step outside. That's how rude he was.

On the parts...When I asked him if he would keep the flywheel for me while I was in the shop looking at the progress of my car he told me "Take it now then". Car wasn't even finished or back together. I had to politely explain to him that I had my girl with me and she was driving her car, and she wasn't having any parts of dirty stuff in her car. When I came back after my test drive when the car was "finished" and asked about my flywheel I got the run around. So I left it alone and made it a point to never go back to them for anything.

When I diagnosed my Rear main seal leak drip and started taking the car apart I noticed a good amount of bolts were either loose or hand tight. Clutch was also dead after a few months on a brand new clutch. Aka $$ and my time fixing something that should've been done right the first time.

I honestly have no interest in talking to Mayhem about my Issues. I just would like people to know about my experience with them.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:13 PM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

There is a FANTASTIC shop here in Richmond, VA if anyone is at wits end.
I travel between Raleigh and Richmond areas regularly, and it's a pretty quick and easy trip. They have full build, dyno, and tuning capabilities; and are the only ones who will ever touch my car.

Get notified of new replies

To Mayhem Motorsports in Raleigh, NC

Quick Reply: Mayhem Motorsports in Raleigh, NC