C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

NY emissions test

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 08:58 PM
TA Racer
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default NY emissions test

I plan on installing a TSP cam in my 99 corvette along with headers. I have learned that NY State has made the emission test more difficult to pass. Do any of you have experience with the new test? Are you able to pass it with similar mods?
Old 03-29-2016, 02:46 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I am in Calif but I believe we have similar smog laws
Long tube headers here are ALL illegal---they are " visually" non compliant
Shorty headers are legal only IF they are certified by CARB again visually they must have a CARB label welded to the headers

As far as cams go---The largest cam that we can get to pass in Calif is something in the mid 220's of duration at .050 Lift doesn't matter--Finally the LSA should be no lower than a 114---Tuning would be a must just to get the engine to start and run and idle correctly
Old 04-05-2016, 09:45 AM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

How has the test been made more difficult to pass? Right now if the check engine light is on the car will fail, if it's off the car will pass.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:52 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast one
How has the test been made more difficult to pass? Right now if the check engine light is on the car will fail, if it's off the car will pass.

I'm told they will be checking the check sum numbers, same way GM detects a tune, so if anything is changed in the PCM, even a fan setting, the numbers will not add up the same and you will fail.

If this is the case, performance mods as we know it will be crushed and an entire industry will go under.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:54 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Fast one
You are correct---Theoretically IF you have no check engine light and ALL your readiness tests say "ready" then they have to pass you regardless if you have a cam or not or other certain mods---A CAI and LT headers and going catless won't pass because those are VISUAL tests
Where it gets tricky with mods like heads/cams etc--Is often these mods will create FALSE codes that will trigger a check engine light--But of course with tuning you can permanently delete all those false codes
Old 04-18-2016, 06:05 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
I'm told they will be checking the check sum numbers, same way GM detects a tune, so if anything is changed in the PCM, even a fan setting, the numbers will not add up the same and you will fail.

If this is the case, performance mods as we know it will be crushed and an entire industry will go under.
My mechanic says New York City and Nassau County have enhanced emissions tests vs lower emissions tests for the rest of the state.

Would this stricter test apply to the whole state or just NYC and Nassau County?

Get notified of new replies

To NY emissions test

Quick Reply: NY emissions test