C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Reduced Engine Power 30 miles after tune...

Old 04-18-2016, 03:39 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Reduced Engine Power 30 miles after tune...

Question, Just recently had my Z06 retuned. Quick run down, Its a forged LS7 with a LS3 topend with a ported intake and TB and a RPM auto swap. Took it over to a very known local shop here to have it tuned on March 11th, got it back the 16th. They decided to scrap my 100mm MAF because they said i was getting inconsistent fuel trims at idle and low rpm. So they proposed a SD tune on the car. We went ahead with it. Well just this past saturday "the 2nd time I have driven it because of weather" I did 1 WOT pull and the car instantly went into Reduced engine Power mode. Limped it back to the garage, Pulled a bunch of codes. So i decided to clear everything and run it again then check codes because I wasnt sure what was current and old. So it drove fine cruising "kind of" because at 1 point it held 30mph @ 1500rpm for like a mile without me touching the pedal, but as soon as I went WOT through 2 gears it did it again. Pulled the codes and I got a P0103 and a P1516, There was also another code but that came up Reduced engine power code. I would assume this is a tuning problem on the shops end. Contacted the shop and the guy was very rude about it asking what proof do I have that its a tune issue and his tuner has done 15K cars blah blah blah. The car ran fine up until the tune they did, I asked if they would tow it to the shop and he said for me to handle the tow. I got a little hot, he says he has 35 cars in the shop waiting and he is doing me a favor by bringing it back to look at it. This was a shock to me after the money I just spent. we both got heated with each other, I said who will reimburse me for the tow because this is not my fault. He said if it turns out to be a tune issue then they would, But if it comes back something mechanical "All hell is gonna break loose" basically insinuating that its not there tune problem and they want to rub it in my face or some ****. Thats the way I took it. I told him I do all my own wrenching but dont tune and I know the car in and out and its definitely a tuning issue. I also said I would like to be present while they diagnose it, He refused to allow me to be in the shop which scares me. They can do anything to pass the blame that way.

But does this seem to be a tune issue? I would think so.... Im considering eating the money I spent there and going elsewhere because of the way I was spoke to. I wanted to get in my truck and strangle the kid lol....

FYI, I contacted them a day after and thought my idle was high because it was @ 1050-1100 and would roll on @ 10mph in traffic, They said that is normal for my 3200 converter because anything less would cause it to buck and that they set it for 975 and my gauge was probably off. I thought that was weird because I idled at 850 before with no issue...

Last edited by Breze84; 04-18-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:52 PM
enoniam
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts

The P0103 code isn't surprising since they put in an SD tune.

The P1516 code is faulty Throttle Actuator Control Module code. I don't think a tuning problem would trigger that code.

As far as the high idle, if the car ran well with the low idle before I'd ask them to change it back because there wasn't a bucking issue in the first place that they needed to fix.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:08 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Yea I dont know what would cause that, Never had that problem before... cant remember if that code had a H after it or a C.... It may have been a old one... Here is a couple vids...

before reduced power

2 mins later after wot

I have another going through the codes that im uploading...

Last edited by Breze84; 04-18-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:20 PM
Breze84
Drifting

This was after the 1st time it happened, I didnt record the second time. Start vid @ 1:00 if interested to see... Thanks

Old 05-06-2016, 10:41 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

With an SD tune, you will always have a couple codes for the MAF fail, that is normal. The reduced engine power could be something in the tune, but usually its something with either the TB, the gas pedal switch or the wires/plug to the TB. Definitely going to have to do some diagnosing.

You should be able to idle it down to where you had it before. Mine idles well at 850 rpms with a 239/252 cam in a 404" with a fairly tight FTI converter...(tight at idle anyway).

I think I'd be holding that tuner to the fire.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:34 AM
Breze84
Drifting

Originally Posted by ajrothm
With an SD tune, you will always have a couple codes for the MAF fail, that is normal. The reduced engine power could be something in the tune, but usually its something with either the TB, the gas pedal switch or the wires/plug to the TB. Definitely going to have to do some diagnosing.

You should be able to idle it down to where you had it before. Mine idles well at 850 rpms with a 239/252 cam in a 404" with a fairly tight FTI converter...(tight at idle anyway).

I think I'd be holding that tuner to the fire.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-scan-and-tune/3810717-reduced-engine-power-30-miles-after-tune.html
Old 05-09-2016, 03:20 PM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Breze84
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-scan-and-tune/3810717-reduced-engine-power-30-miles-after-tune.html
I'm glad you got this sorted out. I am looking for a good tuner (midwest), and will avoid Speed Inc at all costs.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:38 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95rtturbo
I'm glad you got this sorted out. I am looking for a good tuner (midwest), and will avoid Speed Inc at all costs.

Yes AVOID... When you are ready and are looking The guy who redid mine is awesome and very thorough... Treats you like a good friend would....
The following users liked this post:
95rtturbo (05-09-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Reduced Engine Power 30 miles after tune...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reduced Engine Power 30 miles after tune...