C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Bad Tune, Vacuum Leak, O2 Sensors? Log Inside.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 11:19 AM
NotLawReview
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bad Tune, Vacuum Leak, O2 Sensors? Log Inside.

I've been battling some interesting issues ever since I got this car (replacing another '04z that was lost to the Memorial Day floods in Houston last year).

The mods the car has are as follows:
Heads/Cam package (NO IDEA on the specs)
FAST 90/90 manifold/TB
Callaway Honker intake
LG Long Tubes
Random Tech High Flow Cats and X Pipe
Callaway Double D Exhaust
Callaway Sway Bars

Ever since I got the car I have noticed that my fuel mileage has been way down as compared to my old car, (19-20mpg @80% highway driving) and I've always noticed a hydrocarbon smell that I chalked up to the cam/HF cats. However, of late the car has started to have some issues that have made me think that something isn't right, so I purchased a ScanTool OBDLink MX scanner to log what the car's computer was picking up. Here are the results:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...UxES3d4dV9oNDA

The symptoms that I was experiencing that prompted me to get this were:
Random rough idle that would bounce down to 500 or so RPMs and then up to 1200 RPMs, and would occasionally die. The idle would remain rough until I made it to the stop sign down the street where I would also make sure to get to about 2500-3k RPMs, and then everything would be fine. Also, sometimes paired with this would be an issue that was like the throttle was cutting out on me, as if the car was cutting spark or something. Very strange.

When this would happen, the error codes that I would get were:

P0522
P1546
U1016
U1096
U1255
U1040
U1000
(also have no comms to the RFA, and I have tested the wiring back there and it's good, so I think that receiver might be bad. The remote locks have never worked since I got the car, and I've tried all the usual suspects to fix them)

I have replaced the following:
-New AIR tube gaskets
-2 New ignition switches
-New valvesprings
-New spark plugs/wires with plug wire insulation boots installed.

I have inspected the wiring to the O2 sensors and everything appears fine, no melting from the headers.

I have inspected/cleaned the engine grounds from the battery to the chassis, block to chassis on both sides of engine, and checked/cleaned the connections at the starter.

I have checked the connection at the PCM and cleaned it up.

Fuses have been checked in both fuse boxes.

PCV line has been checked for leaks, as have the hoses connecting the MAF to the TB.

Now, to the logs. Obviously the LTFTs are WAY high on both banks, so the engine thinks there's a lean condition. I don't currently think there's a vacuum leak, but I could be wrong. The next thing I'd do would be to replace the intake manifold gaskets, which I'm not super pumped about doing, if I don't have to.

Next, do the O2 sensors look like they're operating normally? It's my understanding that they should fluctuate in a wave-like pattern, which I don't see here as the numbers are pretty steady most of the time, and with spotty extreme changes. I'm hoping this is the issue as it would be the easiest thing for me to change out, but also don't want to just replace parts *****-nilly if not necessary.

Lastly, could this just be a bad tune?

I'm only now trying to gain an education on these reading with what I've found from the internet, so any help that anyone can provide would be great!

Thanks!
Pat
Old 05-03-2016, 04:10 PM
enoniam
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts

The P0522 code is for low oil pressure. May want to check oil level and monitor what the pressure is doing.

O2 sensor readings should be bouncing between around 0.15 and 0.75 or so. You won't seem too many readings around the middle they are generally either high or low.

Last edited by enoniam; 05-03-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:33 PM
NotLawReview
Racer

Originally Posted by enoniam
The P0522 code is for low oil pressure. May want to check oil level and monitor what the pressure is doing.

O2 sensor readings should be bouncing between around 0.15 and 0.75 or so. You won't seem too many readings around the middle they are generally either high or low.
Yeah, that code was showing up when the idle would drop really low before dying; I've (as well as my mechanic) tested the pressure and everything is fine. The voltage going to the oil pressure sensor was dropping due to the car trying to die/dying.

The more I've read about the O2 values, the more it appears that they aren't oscillating like they should. I'm going to swap them out and hope that corrects the fuel trims.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:36 PM
enoniam
Pro

Yeah, you've got some mid-range readings that repeat 3 or 4 times which doesn't seem copacetic.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:43 PM
NotLawReview
Racer

Yeah, you've got some mid-range readings that repeat 3 or 4 times which doesn't seem copacetic.
Appreciate the help, really hope new sensors take care of the problem.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:24 AM
MRc5z
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by NotLawReview
Appreciate the help, really hope new sensors take care of the problem.
Did the new o2 sensors take care of the issue??
Old 05-10-2016, 11:22 AM
NotLawReview
Racer

Originally Posted by MRc5z
Did the new o2 sensors take care of the issue??
The adapter (to convert a rear sensor plug to a front sensor plug) will be delivered today and the new o2 sensors will be installed tonight.

However, over the last few days it has really been bugging me that both the LTFTs were high and the o2s were reading rich, as they should be the opposite of each other, so I decided to look closer at the MAF readings. I changed my logger to g/s instead of CFM as in the original logs and noticed that I was getting 20+g/s at idle!

Bought a new MAF sensor and installed it last night, idle was IMMEDIATELY rock solid, and here's what I have logged:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...XVpRXV5MElIYjQ

As you can see, the LTFTs are now NEGATIVE and everything appears to have been learned as it should.

However, my fuel economy hasn't quite improved like I expected it to, and I think that's a result of the o2s reading lazy and rich. Once I swap them tonight I hope to see a significant change.

Also, once concern that I have is that the car is not pulling up high like it did with the really rich LTFTs and the bad MAF, and that surprised me as I was expecting a big change in the seat of the pants feel as I would think that the car would be making more horsepower with the A/F being closer to where it should be. The car gets to 5k RPM and just feels like it stops pulling and the power curve goes flat. I will note that it looks like the MAF is still providing a slightly higher reading than I would expect it to (10 g/s at idle), so I'm not quite sure what the cause of that is.

Hopefully the o2s make a big change in things and the trims get back to where they should ideally be, and my power/MPG will return.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:47 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

How do you know the WOT AFR is where it should be? Do you have a wideband that isn't included in this log?
Old 05-10-2016, 11:59 AM
NotLawReview
Racer

Originally Posted by schpenxel
How do you know the WOT AFR is where it should be? Do you have a wideband that isn't included in this log?
Sorry, that's all based on my assumption that the adjustments that the PCM are making are correct and are targeting 14.7. I do not have a wideband, just the bluetooth OBDII scanner and the Torque software on my phone. I have no idea if this is actually the case as I have no idea as to whether the car is on its tune that was at one point present, or if it's based on the car's default tune due to someone reflashing the ECU at some point.

I have quickly learned that this car has never run properly in the time that I've owned it (10 mos or so) so I really have no idea what it's supposed to feel like, but I do have a previous '04 c5z to compare it to (which was MUCH torquier on the low end but didn't scream up top like this one, at least before the MAF change).

I just noticed that the car isn't pulling up high as well as it did before changing the MAF, when the LTFTs were indicating a very lean condition.

Last edited by NotLawReview; 05-10-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:02 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

You really need a wideband, otherwise it's about 95% guessing as soon as you start putting in aftermarket parts/tunes.

Factory O2 sensors do nothing at WOT, so there aren't any fueling corrections @ WOT

Once WOT the computer is just going to use the airflow # it's calculating from the MAF reading, divide by the commanded AFR, and use that to figure out how much fuel to inject. The MAF airflow # could be totally wrong though and the AFR could be 15:1 @ WOT and the computer would still never know and never do anything about it. Without a wideband you'll never really know

You can look at narrowband O2 voltages to get a really really rough idea of what's going on (basically just whether it's richer or leaner than 14.7:1), but that's pretty much it

Last edited by schpenxel; 05-10-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:18 PM
NotLawReview
Racer

You really need a wideband, otherwise it's about 95% guessing as soon as you start putting in aftermarket parts/tunes.

Factory O2 sensors do nothing at WOT, so there aren't any fueling corrections @ WOT

Once WOT the computer is just going to use the airflow # it's calculating from the MAF reading, divide by the commanded AFR, and use that to figure out how much fuel to inject. The MAF airflow # could be totally wrong though and the AFR could be 15:1 @ WOT and the computer would still never know and never do anything about it. Without a wideband you'll never really know

You can look at narrowband O2 voltages to get a really really rough idea of what's going on (basically just whether it's richer or leaner than 14.7:1), but that's pretty much it
I gotcha.

So would this be the reason why my car feels "flat" in the upper RPM range now that I've replaced the MAF? The bad MAF was recording really high values, which could be closer to the actual airflow of what the FAST intake could handle, so the extra air/fuel allowed the engine to scream up top, and now that there is a MAF that is working in place it could be based on the default tune, and thus not providing enough fuel for the airflow that may actually be there?

It just seems weird to me that I'd change the MAF, have the trims level out, and now the car effectively stops pulling at 4500-5k and is just making more noise up to redline.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:19 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

It could be too rich or too lean up top which could cause the behavior you're seeing--no way to know without a wideband though
Old 05-10-2016, 03:37 PM
NotLawReview
Racer

It could be too rich or too lean up top which could cause the behavior you're seeing--no way to know without a wideband though
So, for this reason it seems like I'd be best served not pushing the car until I got it properly tuned?

I'm going to swap out the o2s and check out the plugs to see if they need to be changed as well (changed them in December), so things should be as close to ideal as possible for the tuner when I get it in.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:38 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Yeah I wouldn't go too hard on it until it's looked over. It may be perfectly fine but tuner can say for sure.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:26 PM
enoniam
Pro

Network ***** here at work won't let me open your latest data log but I will say that I would expect around 10 g/s of airflow at idle for a non-radically cammed LS engine.

Last edited by enoniam; 05-12-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:37 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Network ***** here at work won't let me open your latest data log but I will say that I would expect around 10 g/s of airflow at idle for a non-radically cammed LS engine.
Agree
Old 05-16-2016, 09:58 AM
NotLawReview
Racer

That's right at what I'm getting with the new MAF installed; the old one was pulling twice that so it was definitely bad...

I finally got the correct O2 sensors as I found out the hard way that the '04s had different plugs than all of the other model years in that the connectors are female instead of male.

Once the new 02s go in, the car is scheduled to get tuned this friday/saturday, so hopefully after that happens all will be running properly again!

Thanks everyone for their help, I'll let everyone know what I learn once I get it back from the tuner Sat afternoon.

-Pat

Get notified of new replies

To Bad Tune, Vacuum Leak, O2 Sensors? Log Inside.

Quick Reply: Bad Tune, Vacuum Leak, O2 Sensors? Log Inside.