C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Tune for trans shifting question....

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 12:10 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Default Tune for trans shifting question....

This is going to be a weird one, but please bear with me;

Can you install a tune, that will make the trans behave like it has a manual valve body?

Can you install ^that^ tune, and include a feature where the converter will stay locked until, say, 90% throttle?

IOW, lets say I have a long hill I can climb in my stick shift C4 in high (6th) gear. But let say that my wifes auto C5 won't do it in OD, b/c long before you get to even 1/2 throttle, the thing unlocks the converter, then down shifts. Now in 3rd gear, her car has too much power/tq for the hill...you're accelerating, so you let off the throttle, eventually, it upshifts, and again doesn't have enough b/c you can't exploit all the engine's tq in OD.

Can you "tune" to have control over when the trans shifts, and when the converter unlocks? Thanks.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:37 AM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not fully grasping exactly what you are asking, but yes, you can control pretty much everything the trans does, including when (per TPS%) it shifts into each gear, and where the TQ locks up. You can set the speed per TPS % it locks up at in 4th. (mine is set to NOT LOCK in 2nd or 3rd).
Keep in mind, however, that setting it very high will effect you gas mileage and trans fluid, since the converter will still be slipping at "highway speeds)
Old 07-24-2016, 03:20 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Yes, I'd be doing the opposite; I'd want the converter to STAY LOCKED when it won't from the factory. And I'd want it to STAY in a higher gear where it won't from the factory.

I want it to exploit all the engine's tq, before it unlocks and down shifts....not unlock and down shift, long before you have been able to get tq from the engine. You can always use the shift lever to down shift....doesn't work the other way around.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:31 PM
midnight01
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Yes, I'd be doing the opposite; I'd want the converter to STAY LOCKED when it won't from the factory. And I'd want it to STAY in a higher gear where it won't from the factory.

I want it to exploit all the engine's tq, before it unlocks and down shifts....not unlock and down shift, long before you have been able to get tq from the engine. You can always use the shift lever to down shift....doesn't work the other way around.
I hear what you are saying so the fast answer is yes, the long answer is its going to take some work to get it to do what you want.

You will need a scanner program to take logs of your transmission as when it shifts normally, part throttle, and wot.
you will also need to know your max torque at (X) RPM's and the torque curve which will be given to you via a few dyno pulls.
from that data you can tune your trans to shift at the desired torque or RPM. Good luck as it will take quite a few logs as far as cold shifting and normal op temp, as well as the variables I posted up top of this.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:23 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Yes, pretty easily done.
You planning on having a shop do it?
Old 07-25-2016, 04:21 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

I would likely do it myself or with a friend who has had experience tuning w/EFI Live.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:01 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

1st of all --the TCC upshifts and downshifts are commanded by only 2 parameters
1 is the throttle position and the other is MPH
So YES you can alter when the converter locks or unlocks based on TPS or MPH
It is however trial and error unless you have a data logger where you can see the TPS position where the changes happen exactly---
The simple way to remember how changes affect the TCC lock/unlock at part throttle is to remember that------
In the P/T TCC tables In the lock-up tables the TCC will lock up at the MPH you input at that MPH or anything HIGHER
In the P/T TCC tables in the UNLOCK tables the TCC will un lock at the MPH you input or anything LOWER
At WOT the TCC will unlock always regardless as long as the TPS exceeds approx 85%

Get notified of new replies

To Tune for trans shifting question....

Quick Reply: Tune for trans shifting question....