C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Pay for a tune or do it yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 11:49 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Most appreciated!

Originally Posted by aerovette99
Once again, another happy Chuck Cow customer.
His expertise is on a different level. He'll of a great guy also. Honest and SUPER knowledgeable
Most appreciated!

Chuck CoW
Old 02-19-2017, 12:04 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

It sounds like you guys are talking about software or Flash ROMs. Is that it? Is this how Vettes are performance tuned? It also sounds like this is something that individuals can do them selves with the purchase of a device to Flash the chip, or maybe you simply buy a replacement chip. Yes/No? Where can I get more information about this. I want to get more HP out of my stock C5.

Was planning to take the car to a local shop for a performance tune. But, if it is a simple process, I would be more than happy to do it my self.

What does it cost for a Dyno Tune anyway?
Old 02-20-2017, 11:56 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default You really make NO SENSE.....

Originally Posted by Podium
The truth? I think its BS that a sponsor would basically tell a member its to hard for you to learn, better pay someone to do it.

Im sure Chuck is good tuner. I never questioned that. Tuning isnt some lost art that only a few know. Its people like chuck that scare others away from trying it as it is already intimidating to some. I could put a tune in a car that would actually take away horsepower but it would feel faster to you and you would never know but you would still be a cheerleader.

Why are you so butthurt? Is it because you spent a good amount of money with him and now you have to justify it by making sure everyone knows how amazing he is and nobody could ever be as good? I bet you personally called him to tell him someone is being mean online.
Joe is a smart man.... Having used a tuner that "knows what he's doing" (on the 3rd try) was smart.

I had the same issues before I went to COW. It would stalled whenever I had the ac on at idle. I went to 2 different tuners and it was still unsolved until I went to Chuck. He fixed the issue and made it fun and safe to drive again.
So, when you think about all the money Joe WASTED with the 2 previous tuners, and the frustration and

risking potential damage to the car..... not withstanding the lack of enjoyment of the car....

IT IS VERY EASY TO SEE WHY CHUCK COW is suggesting that people hire a PRO with a good

reputation to tune their cars..... Using the word "intimidating" is a bit strong, but if that be the case.....

A fella like Joe might be "intimidated" and save himself over ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS

in wasted tunes with the first 2 EXPERTS.

The fact is that 80% plus of the tunes out there.... are not very good and don't really know what they are doing.

They know enough to be DANGEROUS..... And that's why I tell people NOT TO WASTE THEIR TIME.

Chuck CoW
Old 02-26-2017, 09:55 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

I know lots of guys with performance cars, but none of them know anything about programming engine performance. I don't have mentors who can help if I need it. But why do I need mentor? What if I don't know anything about engine tuning? How much do I need to know about engine performance in order to use these tuners?
Old 02-27-2017, 10:40 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default You don't need any special skills.....

Originally Posted by gpruitt54
I know lots of guys with performance cars, but none of them know anything about programming engine performance. I don't have mentors who can help if I need it. But why do I need mentor? What if I don't know anything about engine tuning? How much do I need to know about engine performance in order to use these tuners?

You don't need any special skills..... I've tuned cars all over the country and even other countries with customers

that barely speak english..... So, that means you can do it no problem.

Call me any time and I'll explain how easy it is to use my stuff.

914-332-0049
Chuck CoW

Quick Reply: Pay for a tune or do it yourself?