C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

What are typical MAP values on NA cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 09:36 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Cliff8928
You would only "Apply Code Modification" if you were tuning for boost.
Or possibly trying to resolve this map scaling issue?

Is it possible that's been checked in the past, even by mistake, and then written to the PCM which is causing this issue? I want to say it's never happened on this current PCM, but suspect it could have on the original I had.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:31 PM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

The scaling issue may be only if your tune was previously created for this code modification and you're trying to copy/paste it to a new PCM without the code modification.

If you're not running boost, not applying the code modification usually results in a higher resolution tune. When you run without the modification your using the full 0-5v scale for the 0-14.7psi range, where with the code modification you're using the same voltage range for 0-29.4psi if that makes sense. (14.7 psi is roughly atmospheric pressure = no boost)

Can you take a stock MAP table and see how it responds, or is the engine too modified?
Old 10-25-2016, 02:14 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

The scaling issue may be only if your tune was previously created for this code modification and you're trying to copy/paste it to a new PCM without the code modification.
Technically, that might be what I did unknowingly. I have not torn the car apart to see the number on the PCM that's in there but I know for a fact it's not the one the car began with. Thing is, the car IS running and all systems save for the cruise work. And the car throws no codes. I'm told that's not possible but that's how it is.

The engine is just simple mods. Cam, headers, valves, springs, lifters, etc. Cam is 600/600 234/236 w/9* overlap. Very streetable. Right now I think my VE table is about 40% over stock to get it to run. At 20% over it would not even start. At 30 it did but needed adjusted up. So, it is either breathing a lot more (which I know it is) or there's something wrong. However, I'm only using the first 9 rows up to 45kPa so at this point idk what that means. I've not played with it since last week due to A: I was stumped and B: I now bought another PCM which looks like it might be till Friday before it arrives.

I can try stuff though if there's a chance it'll help. I just would prefer to think the MAP values problem would have a chance of being solved if I were to make more changes.

Up till recently I was still running the same MAF table. As for MAP table, I'm not sure what you mean or that might be a typo and you meant MAF or possibly VE?

I looked at the docs on that "Code Modification" and from what I gather there, if there were multiple options for different BARs they would be listed. Mine has none. The Apply button is there but I'm assuming it does nothing. I am using HPT V3.2.xxx again.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:15 AM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

Yes, the VE. I was typing that last post in a hurry right before I was heading out.

Also, have you tried to verify your MAP readings with a vacuum gauge?

Oh, and just for reference, the code modification would be intended for use with MAP sensor SU1477 or equivalent.

Last edited by Cliff8928; 10-26-2016 at 04:22 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:42 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Yes, the VE. I was typing that last post in a hurry right before I was heading out.

Also, have you tried to verify your MAP readings with a vacuum gauge?

Oh, and just for reference, the code modification would be intended for use with MAP sensor SU1477 or equivalent.
No problem. Yes, the motor would not even start with a stock VE table. I started by adding 20%, that tried to fire but wouldn't run. Added another 10%, that would run but needed tweaking, so added more with a scan using my wide band. It breathes way better than it did with the stock motor in it.

I did put a vacuum gauge on several times. Removed the intake again twice messing around. The sensor isn't lying, just the PCM isn't talking the same language somehow.

Good info to know about the SU1477. I'll stash that tidbit for later.

Just checked my tracking and it says my new PCM is at the post office here in town this morning so I might have it today!
Old 10-26-2016, 07:09 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Well, for the mere cost of $365 for the new pcm, programming and license for HPT, the MAP issue is solved. Any idea that 97/98 PCMs are interchangeable is incorrect. Idk what is different about the 97 in the way it interprets the MAP signal, but at least the one I have does not work.

So I guess I have one of the rarest of the rare PCMs to sell now...

Also put my old tac module back in the car today while I had that 97 pcm in and found that that worked as well. So, I put the original back in and also have a tac module to unload. They're not going anywhere till I am satisfied the car is working. But I'm pretty sure they'll end up on ebay eventually.

PS. HPT screwed me again on the new PCM. I bought a license for it, did the VIN change and then it says I no longer have a license and had to buy another license for 98.00 more. Also had to pay the fee to ACDelco to change the OS so bottom line was, the first license to HPT wasn't needed till after the ACDelco flash. Had I known this beforehand the way to do it was th do the Tech2 first. I figured the Tech2 wasn't necessary so I did it in HPT. So after paying for a license for the new PCM, and owning a license for the cars VIN, it still wasn't licensed. They are a bunch of ******* thieves. Hell of it is on EFILive, 97/98s are free.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:48 AM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

Unless you license the year/model or a larger group, individual licenses are by VIN, so you would need to license the VIN in the existing PCM and the one you want to change to. As you learned, do all the SPS programming first before doing anything with HPTuners.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:41 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Unless you license the year/model or a larger group, individual licenses are by VIN, so you would need to license the VIN in the existing PCM and the one you want to change to. As you learned, do all the SPS programming first before doing anything with HPTuners.
But then what's the point of the VIN Change feature of HPT? I mean, how many people think it's great to have a VIN change feature if you have to pay for a license for it before AND after you do it? And that's in addition to having already paid a license for the VIN on the PCM that's being replaced.
Old 09-17-2022, 04:59 PM
vertigo262
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, after looking at the live log data. It appears the MAP sensor isn't hooked up. As I am not at the physical location to take a look. My guess is this would be the problem

This is the location where it's supposed to be. The back of the whipple intake manifold.

Whipple Documentation

This is the live data logs with the whipple tune when stalling out

Old 09-18-2022, 08:29 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

it took you 6 yrs to figure it out ?
Old 09-18-2022, 09:34 PM
vertigo262
Instructor

Originally Posted by walleyejack
it took you 6 yrs to figure it out ?
huh? maybe a couple of weeks. If I didn't ask for the logs from the shop, I never would have known. Because isn't it the obligation of the shop who build the engine and dropped it ins job to know why their engine won't run correctly? Not mine. Which is a little agrarvating that it's now been at the shop for over 2 years for an engine build and drop in, and to run correctly! In which they never have time to get to. I mean that would normally be like a 1 month job correct? Anyways, we can throw the Corona virus variable into the equation. But 2 years still seems way to long being that the car is always left until last for anything done to it.

Anyways, I'm doing their job for them and learning as I go. And so as they say it's the tune, everyone else said it's something else. And that is what the HP Tuner logs of theirs show. So that on the surface looks like what is making the engine stall out. Or are they stalling out, and not the engine

Because this shouldn't be that difficult to figure out. And it shouldn't take this long.

But then it took Jojo's Auto Body in Reseda 7 months to put on a simple body kit, while having people stalk me with them. And them trying to get me to sign things to try to Charge Usaa insurance twice in my name. Which I now am finding out USAA Insurance is involved in a huge INSURANCE FRAUD ring against me. And trying to cover it up in my name! Doesn't this pattern of people doing things and saying it's KEVIN keep REPEATING itself since I was 5 years old? Jason Perelman and his ROAD RAGE activities is supposedly Kevin Perelman, and 1000 other things like that from everyone I know!. So let's be realistic about what is and has been done to my life since I was 5 years old which is exponentially increasing from Child R**pist sickos trying to silence me. With Pineapple Joe from Hawaii Racing, Brian Weaver, my father, and the rest of them! Who get their jolly's doing sick demented things to children

Last edited by vertigo262; 09-18-2022 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-18-2022, 11:55 PM
vertigo262
Instructor

Said the PID was off during scan
This is from this weekend

Appears to be working now

Attached Files
File Type: zip
kevinpmap9.18.22.zip (373.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by vertigo262; 09-19-2022 at 07:29 AM.

Quick Reply: What are typical MAP values on NA cars?