Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

mail order tune headache

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 06:01 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Default mail order tune headache

i will start off by saying I told him NOT to....

my son has a 94 silverado pickup about a year ago we bought a lq4 and started to gather parts to complete a LQ4/4l80e swap in to it and along the way he sent his pcm out to get the vat's deleted and programed for a DBC tb diff ratio tire size, we found out the engine needed to be rebuilt at that time he wanted a LS6 cam so he sent the pcm back to the guy to get it updated for the cam. so we did the swap turn the key engine fired but when ever we tried to rev it, it misfired and sputtered after talking to the tuner we sent him the pcm back and found out it was setup for a DBW tb and he tells me thats what my son told him at witch time i told him that dont sound right cause we never had intentions of using a DBW tb and didnt have any parts to use one, i talked to my son he shows me a text where he told the tuner to set it up for a DBC tb so we get it back again still having a problem with a VSS out put and trans is shifting weird and hits the rev limiter before it shifts under WOT so after installing new sensors in the trans and checking all the wiring we talked to the company we bought the swap harness from and he asked if he can get a copy of the tune file to see if its in the tune. we have the tuner send the file over to the harness guys they look it over and tell its not even close to what it was suppose to be WFT!

truck has a 3.42 gear, 29" tall tire lq4 ls6 cam

pcm is tuned for a 3.73 gear, 28" tall tire and the tune is still a stock lq4 with the timing table changed very little still has the abuse mode enabled, torque management has not been messed with the engine rpm limiter is set to 6000 and the trans is set to shift at 6200 top speed limiter is 106mph

when i talked to the tuner and told him all this he kept telling my son told him to do this and do that, when i ask my son he shows me text massages showing what he told him and when i provide him with the proof that my son DID give him the right information he talls me i'll have to check i'm not home or jumps to another subject so i told him this is not what my son paid for and i'm not happy about it he tells me he'll refund his and gives me an amount that is less then what my son paid so i asked why only that amount he tells me thats what he charges every one, so i asked my son he shows me his paypal account showing he paid him way more! so i asked him if thats what you charge why did you charge my son so much he said he never charged him that much i gave him dates and amounts that my son sent him funds and told him he should be ashamed of himself taking advantage of my 17 year old son over charging him and lying my son gave him bad info at witch time he refunded the tune cost but kept the money for the vat delete witch i told him to keep since thats the only thing he did do right

its not worth the savings to deal with mail order tunes and i told my son this but he was 17 and trying to get his truck done on a budget he paid for 90% out of his pocket (trying to teach the value of a dollar to him and he has to work for what he wants) tune is way off this lq4 feels like a v6, i had a 2004 silverado lq4/4l80e swap witch is a heavier truck and had tons more power! so now need to get it dyno tuned

might be ok for a vat delete but any thing more just get it dyno tuned guys save your self headache and heartache

tuner i'm talking about IS NOT a sponsor on this site
Old 11-18-2016, 07:02 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

That's too bad, there are some real decent email tuners out there for GM trucks.

Last edited by Roddy13; 11-18-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:33 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

i'm not saying there all bad but this guy over charged my kid and didnt even give him what he paid for, would have been ok if at least he had the limiters set right, tb right, turned off the abuse modes and stuff

i wasn't expecting the WOT tune to be 100% but was expecting all the other stuff to be right
Old 11-19-2016, 01:37 PM
danh52
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't have a dog in this fight but a generic tune based on inputs from a parts list will never be a great result. It might be ok for initial start up but it should be checked later using the actual engine.

Can you get excellent results from a remote tuner? I would guess you could (if they are reading recorded data from the actual engine they are tuning to determine necessary changes) but it would take longer and somewhat relies on the owner to follow instructions from the tuner. Possible but it also has the possibility for mistakes that might not happen if the tuner was present during the data gathering.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:43 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

1st of all we need more info on what is the year and model of the ECM you are using----Is it the exact same ECM that came with the donor motor and trans ? Was the ECM the same one that came with your LQ4 engine ?
Before you criticize the tuner more info is needed
Depending on the year of your ECM-- A LQ4 plus a 4l80 trans is a rare combination
There are very few GM models that came with a 6 litre engine and a 4l80e trans
Perhaps ypu have the wrong ECM for the eng/trans combo-----
Also a 6 litre engine tune file will run horrible with any other ECM that is not 6.0 specific and not 6l80e specific-----
All tuners know it's a one click entry to change from a cable throttle to a DBW throttle
So I don not suspect this id]s your problem-----Mot likely your trk is in sme version of the "reduced power mode" due to having the wrong ECM
Old 12-11-2016, 01:40 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Ecu is the 411 that came with the engine and is most used for ls swaps, the harness is the correct one for the combo not a hacked spliced together part

lq4/4l80e is not really rare a LOT of 3/4 ton 6.0's has this combo and a bunch of swap guys run it

truck is running just feels gutless, the trans is not shifting right, it does shift so the ecu is readying it and it is plugged in correctly. the shift rpm is set to 6200 rpms and the limiter is at 6000 rpm! the tune was sent to another party that does not offer tunes to look it over and we was told its pretty much the stock lq4 tune file with just part of the spark map adjusted a little all the other tables are untouched witch i be leave him since when i was going back and forth with the guy who did the mail order tune told me the cam was a small change and truck would be ok ecu could manage the difference but said he done 100's with this combo and wrote a tune

i be leave it is the tune, my lq4 that i had in my 04 truck was a blast right now my 4.8 stock truck feels faster and its about 800 or 900 pounds heavier, guys that are swapping from a sbc to an ls engine might be happy but any guy that know ls engines drives this truck right now will think its a v6, i've played with ls1's ls6's 5.3's and 6.0's from bolt'on tuned to h/c/i bolt'on tuned nitrous i'm not a pro but know enough to know better

most who are doing the swap want more power it dont make sense to do a mail order tune and leave Hp on the table, MAYBE a mail order tune with data logging would be ok any thing else is junk i think
Old 12-14-2016, 10:57 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

What exactly are your trans issues ? To me it sounds like the trk is in some level of power reduction mode--- Most likely caused by an incorrect ECM-----If it seems to take off in 2nd gear from a dead stop It is in limp mode----
The basic 411 swap is generally used on a 4l60 trans only
Old 12-20-2016, 08:42 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

trucks taking off in 1st but shifts are VERY hard regardless of peddle input, its not going in to reduced power or any thing its setting code p0502 going to have it looked at after the holidays

i was over at a friend shop a few days ago and my son met me there on our way home he got next to me we did a 30 to 60mph my stock 4.8 i had him a 1/2 truck till 60mph when i let off that is pretty sad for a mild cam lq4 in a lighter truck that tells me his tune is way off

Get notified of new replies

To mail order tune headache

Quick Reply: mail order tune headache