C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

California emissions

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 10:33 PM
lindalee
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California emissions

I have a 2002 Z06 that I bought from a forum member in 2014. I had is shipped from Atlanta to Oakland and had 50 state shorty headers installed and with a comp cam and built engine it passed smog testing here that year. After several attempts with three shops (one a tuner with a mustang dyno) it will not now pass smog testing--I am told it is because California tightened it's rules since 2014.Any ideas besides selling it to someone in another state?
Old 11-22-2016, 03:59 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by lindalee
I have a 2002 Z06 that I bought from a forum member in 2014. I had is shipped from Atlanta to Oakland and had 50 state shorty headers installed and with a comp cam and built engine it passed smog testing here that year. After several attempts with three shops (one a tuner with a mustang dyno) it will not now pass smog testing--I am told it is because California tightened it's rules since 2014.Any ideas besides selling it to someone in another state?
It must be a smog legal shorty. I believe the only ones are B&B.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:58 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by lindalee
California does thia all the time. I keep my test results from each test. The numbers get tighter every time I go. BTW, do you know what your cam specs are? BB and JBA have CARB approved shorty headers.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:04 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by RedRiderZR1
California does thia all the time. I keep my test results from each test. The numbers get tighter every time I go. BTW, do you know what your cam specs are? BB and JBA have CARB approved shorty headers.
Apparently you haven't been in a while. There is no more rolling dyno test for newer vehicles. It is all computer and inspection now. Takes like 5 minutes at the shop I go to.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:13 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by WildVettes
Apparently you haven't been in a while. There is no more rolling dyno test for newer vehicles. It is all computer and inspection now. Takes like 5 minutes at the shop I go to.
Except for us unlucky SOBs to own a 99 or earlier. Missed that by one year. But for those of us that still have to go on the rollers, they tighten the numbers every time you go. Cali Sucks

But the OPs 2002 should not need to go on the rollers. Need to find a smog shop that has the newest updated equipment. Should only need a visual inspection as well as hooking up and see if there are any codes present.

Last edited by RedRiderZR1; 11-22-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:17 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by RedRiderZR1
Except for us unlucky SOBs to own a 99 or earlier. Missed that by one year. But for those of us that still have to go on the rollers, they tighten the numbers every time you go. Cali Sucks
Yeah and they eliminated the 35 year rolling law cutting it off at 74 to ensure they eliminate the future hot rod market when Southern California was the birth place of the hotrod.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:08 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Depends exactly WHY it failed cif smog--
Was it due to the "readiness monitors "
Was is dues to high hydrocarbons ?
Was it due to high NOX ?
or even shown check engine light ?
I assume your car passed all the "visual tests" meaning it has the cats installed and the AIR system ad the shorties have a CARB sticker as well if you have a CAI it has the sticker as well----
If any of the 1st 3 items is the cause or even a DTC ---all this can easily be achieved with some easy fixes---let me know why it failed--

Get notified of new replies

To California emissions

Quick Reply: California emissions