C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Evans-Tuning Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 12:50 AM
directnosfogger
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Evans-Tuning Review

Hey guys-

I figured I would give you a heads up on my experience with a tuning shop near me in Bangor, Pennsylvania. For those of you who don't know Evans Tuning, they are probably one of the most top notch tuners in the country. Jeff has done tuning for my previous vehicle and also a number of my friend's cars. I've always been impressed by his fabrication and mechanical engineering skills. He was doing import stuff previously but has really taken a liking to the domestic world so I figured I would drop off my vette to have him perform some work for me.

My z06 has a built motor and last season I had a shop in Philadelphia do some custom intercooler fabrication to build me piping off of my p1sc. I won't name any names as it's a pretty known shop in the Philly area, but I had a bunch of issues and they ended up with the vehicle putting down 520 whp on their dynojet. I had asked them to tune it full speed density and they refused so it was tuned by standard hybrid approach.

When I dropped off my vehicle at Jeff's shop, he put on the UPP fuel system and also put on the Cartek Flip Drive. The flip drive was an absolute nightmare for him to get on because all of the belts that Cartek supplied were wrong and the ABS module was in the way complicating the install. I would have never been able to tackle the job on my own. I pulley'd down to a 3.4 from a 3.85 and also replaced my meth pump which previously wasn't working (dual nozzle 10#).

Once all was wrapped up after Jeff kept the car for a few days to fine tune the SD setup, the car put down 690 with the belt slipping up top. The car should be making around 730 on a dynapack. What a night and day difference once there is a good tune on the vehicle. His attention to detail and keeping the car to make sure the tune was spot on is something no other shop would perform.

If anyone has the opportunity to visit Jeff, I would highly recommend him for tuning! No doubt in my mind he is the best tuner in the northeast.

http://www.evans-tuning.com/

Last edited by directnosfogger; 12-23-2016 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:28 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Old post but thanks for the review - I'm researching this fellow now.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:08 PM
directnosfogger
Pro

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
Old post but thanks for the review - I'm researching this fellow now.
Jeff still handles all my tuning. Top notch! He has really been tuning a lot of domestics recently.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:01 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by directnosfogger
Jeff still handles all my tuning. Top notch! He has really been tuning a lot of domestics recently.
I just started talking to him via email! Unfortunately the few NJ area tuners seemed to have lost their desire to please customers.

I was hoping to go to RPM, but they told me they have stopped working on C5's all together.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:21 AM
directnosfogger
Pro

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
I just started talking to him via email! Unfortunately the few NJ area tuners seemed to have lost their desire to please customers.

I was hoping to go to RPM, but they told me they have stopped working on C5's all together.
As in Race Proven Motorsports in Delaware? That would be a damn shame.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:23 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by directnosfogger
As in Race Proven Motorsports in Delaware? That would be a damn shame.
Yup, no more C5's for them, at all

I was surprised.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:39 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

SD tuning with such a radical combination YES is your best bet for optimum an all out HP application
However it is best suited for a "dedicated RACE only car" application
To achieve these HP levels all the time using SD it would require a tune adjustment for every and each track locations and weather changes-- As an SD tune does not compensate for air density changes--Barometer changes---altitude changes or outside air temp changes
For a daily driver occasional track car the stock MAF CL/OL loop tune is still your best bet without having to retune your engine every race---- and risking a lean fuel catastrophe---As most of these type racing events are bracket racing where you dial in your times---There is no trophy for a amazing quick 1/4 mile time--other than your ego
your car your call on which is suited best for your application and your budget--As leaning on a SC car so hard all the time will eventually end up with a blown engine
JMHO
Old 05-28-2017, 08:50 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

" As an SD tune does not compensate for air density changes--Barometer changes---altitude changes or outside air temp changes"

im surprised you say that. sd means speed/density and it does just that, adjust for speed and density (pressure and temp.) why shouldnt it? there are milions of cars out there on these tunes.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:16 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

When running a SD tune you do NOT use 02 input or MAF input and the fueling is completely commanded by your VE table----ONLY So the only way to get best results with a SD tune is to use a wideband 02 to correctly measure your WOT AFR ratios Which must be adjusted when changing altitudes--air density and out side temps in order to correct the AFR for different track conditins
the words speed or density have nothing to do with what is commanding your fuel ratio
It is simply called speed density for non descriptive reasons--speed has nothing to do with it

ALSO to say this car gained 170 RWHP by going to a SD tune from a MAF tune is just ridiculous---
Typically a SD tune on a car that was well tuned in the 1st place may only gain maybe 5% more RWHP-----To say you gained 170 RWHP is a joke---only meaning that your 1st tune had some MAJOR errors
Old 05-30-2017, 05:07 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by tblu92
When running a SD tune you do NOT use 02 input or MAF input and the fueling is completely commanded by your VE table----ONLY So the only way to get best results with a SD tune is to use a wideband 02 to correctly measure your WOT AFR ratios Which must be adjusted when changing altitudes--air density and out side temps in order to correct the AFR for different track conditins
the words speed or density have nothing to do with what is commanding your fuel ratio
It is simply called speed density for non descriptive reasons--speed has nothing to do with it

An SD tune is not able to use 02 sensor input or not adjust to altitude?

You need to specify what kind of SD tune you are talking about if you want to say that, the OP did not clarify.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:07 PM
directnosfogger
Pro

This thread wasn't started to get into how to tune and how Jeff configures the OS. There is tons of great resources on the forum and elsewhere to get into that.

Every vehicle I have owned I have run on SD as well as friend's vehicle (evos, stis, vipers, etc..). I do not believe it is for race car only applications. That's just IMHO, but my real world results are where I draw my conclusions.

I gained 170 wheel for a number of reasons. I'm not going to name any shops but the one I took my vehicle originally put on an air filter starving the supercharger, I pullied down 4mm, and I added meth to the mix. I would have really been interested to see the difference in just the tune alone. His blog has a bunch of interesting cases where swapping from maf to sd yielded some pretty amazing results.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:07 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

thats 13 pages. where are these examples?

btw, sd measures the mass of air from: rpm (speed), pressure and temperature. pressure sensor is absolute. the only thing it doesnt account for is humidity. its fast and failsafe.

maf attempts to measure airmass "directly". if you think about whats happening in the maf, its an adventurous attempt. complicated calibrations are neccessary and it will often not work properly. any little leak will confuse it, it gets dirty etc. when tuning it usually becomes a restriction and replacing it leads to unforseeable problems (as you can read on this site). sorry, fogger, if this was highjacking.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:57 AM
directnosfogger
Pro

Originally Posted by romandian
thats 13 pages. where are these examples?

btw, sd measures the mass of air from: rpm (speed), pressure and temperature. pressure sensor is absolute. the only thing it doesnt account for is humidity. its fast and failsafe.

maf attempts to measure airmass "directly". if you think about whats happening in the maf, its an adventurous attempt. complicated calibrations are neccessary and it will often not work properly. any little leak will confuse it, it gets dirty etc. when tuning it usually becomes a restriction and replacing it leads to unforseeable problems (as you can read on this site). sorry, fogger, if this was highjacking.
He tunes every vehicle from gm on SD unless otherwise noted. You can just look at the gm vehicles he tuned with hptuners and can see the differences.

Fwiw I'm surprised in the pushback and (potentially?) erroneous information stated about SD. Corvettes from the factory use a hybrid approach so converting entirely to SD is pretty painless. From my real world testing the car runs much smoother and also does not seem to have the same sort of hiccups I had when it was MAF until cutover to MAP. Honestly, anyone could tune a MAF and it doesn't surprise me in the better results shifting to purely MAP. I'm not even going to go into the physics behind the two sensors but anyone who says MAF is a better approach to high horsepower complex setups; I may question their tuning.

It takes exponentially more time to tune on SD which is the reason most tuners just tune MAF and call it a day after they tune the SD at WOT. Street tuning SD is extremely time consuming having to hit every kpa under each rpm. Which comes back to my later points in my post that what Jeff charges is much lower than what he could charge understanding he doesn't take shortcuts.

Last edited by directnosfogger; 05-31-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:44 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
An SD tune is not able to use 02 sensor input or not adjust to altitude?

You need to specify what kind of SD tune you are talking about if you want to say that, the OP did not clarify.
He's been wrong about this for years and just flat out won't listen. Even the owners of HPTuners have told him. In his brain speed density and open loop are apparently the same thing.

Speed density refers to the airflow model.

Open loop / closed loop refers to using o2 sensors or not to make constant corrections to fueling while at part throttle.

Two totally 100% different and independent things. You can have any combination of open loop or closed loop and SD or not that you want.

Closed loop SD is very common, it will adjust just fine. I don't know why he doesn't get that and won't listen.

(This isn't directed at you Doug, I just happened to quote your post, I know you know all of this already)

Last edited by schpenxel; 05-31-2017 at 02:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DOUG @ ECS (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 04:03 PM
directnosfogger
Pro

Originally Posted by schpenxel
He's been wrong about this for years and just flat out won't listen. Even the owners of HPTuners have told him. In his brain speed density and open loop are apparently the same thing.

Speed density refers to the airflow model.

Open loop / closed loop refers to using o2 sensors or not to make constant corrections to fueling while at part throttle.

Two totally 100% different and independent things. You can have any combination of open loop or closed loop and SD or not that you want.

Closed loop SD is very common, it will adjust just fine. I don't know why he doesn't get that and won't listen.

(This isn't directed at you Doug, I just happened to quote your post, I know you know all of this already)
That explains it.. this whole time I was questioning whether I needed to quit motoring.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:12 AM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Off topic, but what sort of fenders do you have?

Love em, nice power gains. Tune makes all the difference when it comes to FI.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:07 PM
directnosfogger
Pro

Originally Posted by ArtClassShank
Off topic, but what sort of fenders do you have?

Love em, nice power gains. Tune makes all the difference when it comes to FI.
Appreciate it, they work very well with 345 rear tires. The fenders are corvette creationz carbon fiber.

Get notified of new replies

To Evans-Tuning Review

Quick Reply: Evans-Tuning Review