C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

1997: What are my Tuner options????

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 12:59 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 1997: What are my Tuner options????

So, first off...... let me preface what I'm doing and where I'm at.
I have a 97' 5 speed Z51. Just over 80K on the dial and I have owned it since 27K miles.
3 years ago I started buying parts to bump up the power and have been sitting on them ever since. California smog laws suck! I should have just bought a street legal supercharger! lol
Either way, here is what I plan to swap on this spring. I smog the car in March so will have 2 years to not worry about smoging again. At that point?!?!?!?!

In short, I'm doing a heads/cam swap on it along with LG Super Pro headers and a bunch of other goodies. Heads are 243s that were cnc'd by Advanced Induction. Cam is one of theirs spec'd to be able to be tuned to pass Cali smog. But I would need to swap the stock exhaust back on every 2 years for testing.

And their lies my question. Is there a tuner I can buy that will allow me to tune my car with the headers and well as tune it with the factory exhaust? I don't want to pay a tuner to switch it back and forth$$$$

HP Tuners? Is there a product that works with the early C5's(1997)???
Old 12-26-2016, 03:51 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default First off.....

Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN
I have a 97' 5 speed Z51. Just over 80K on the dial and I have owned it since 27K miles.
3 years ago I started buying parts to bump up the power and have been sitting on them ever since. California smog laws suck! I should have just bought a street legal supercharger! lol
Either way, here is what I plan to swap on this spring. I smog the car in March so will have 2 years to not worry about smoging again. At that point?!?!?!?!

In short, I'm doing a heads/cam swap on it along with LG Super Pro headers and a bunch of other goodies. Heads are 243s that were cnc'd by Advanced Induction. Cam is one of theirs spec'd to be able to be tuned to pass Cali smog. But I would need to swap the stock exhaust back on every 2 years for testing.

And their lies my question. Is there a tuner I can buy that will allow me to tune my car with the headers and well as tune it with the factory exhaust? I don't want to pay a tuner to switch it back and forth$$$$

First off..... CALIFORNIA is the state with the biggest SMOG headaches.....

ALSO, CALIFORNIA is the state with one of the largest populations of MODIFIED CARS and it's

also the state that MANY of the car modification companies are based in.

Hence, MANY MANY people in California mod their cars and DO NOT switch parts on and off their cars

cause that's kinda crazy. Double tuning is even more crazy. I would imagine that you should be fine.

In any case, if you want a great tune for your car...with a Wideband.... Then call ME.

If you want to do 2 tunes for the same car...... Just because.... I do it for FREE. Not a bad deal.

Here's how it works and this is pretty much the only way to do it right....

My AutoCal with serial digital wideband is the only way to fly!

CLICK HERE FOR INFO ON OUR AUTOCAL WITH SERIAL WIDEBAND

It does not get better than this..... And FREE tunes don't help either....

Chuck CoW
The following users liked this post:
IRON MAIDEN (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 04:19 PM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Another option in California is to run LS7 manifolds. Great upgrade, close to headers performance, and you don't have to change out your exhaust every 2 years. Looks like stock manifolds. Very common upgrade here in this crap state. As mentioned above, changing out exhaust every 2 years would suck. Just an option.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:16 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've seen threads about the LS7 exhaust. Looks like a nightmare to get to fit. Plus I would have to modify them some for the air injection system I'm sure. While it would be worth the initial headache making them work, still not sure if it is my only option. I already have the headers and really want to run them the 1st 2 years. Maybe come smog time, I make the move to the LS7 setup.
2000 and up don't require the visual so I would be good to go, but my 97' will always get an inspection. Sucks.
Chuck, finding that smog tech to turn his head to the visual portion has not come easy. I'm hoping that I find someone by the time I smog again. The car should pass the sniffer but the inspection is where I will fail.
Also, can the air injection be tuned out on 97's? The headers I got without the provisions for it. Not sure if it will be throwing codes or always have a CEL on my dash.
I will follow the link you posted and read up. Sounds like you will be my best option.
I'm sure I will need an initial "fire up" tune once I complete the work.
Only thing I don't have yet is the push rods. Need to use a push rod checker to figure out what rods to buy. Hopefully it's pretty simple.

Once the motor is done, will move on to the torque tube and new Monster clutch I already have. I picked up a torque tube from a 2004 Z06(12mm) to replace my 10mm version. Plan to do the clutch and remote bleeder at the same time. Clutch install by far has me the most nervous. Will also install the DTE trans/diff brace and Pfadt trans mount I have sitting here. Wanted to install a 3.90 diff at the same time but out of the budget right now. So will leave that for later.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:17 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default You have many options.

I've seen threads about the LS7 exhaust. Looks like a nightmare to get to fit. Plus I would have to modify them some for the air injection system I'm sure. While it would be worth the initial headache making them work, still not sure if it is my only option. I already have the headers and really want to run them the 1st 2 years. Maybe come smog time, I make the move to the LS7 setup.
2000 and up don't require the visual so I would be good to go, but my 97' will always get an inspection. Sucks.
Chuck, finding that smog tech to turn his head to the visual portion has not come easy. I'm hoping that I find someone by the time I smog again. The car should pass the sniffer but the inspection is where I will fail.
Also, can the air injection be tuned out on 97's? The headers I got without the provisions for it. Not sure if it will be throwing codes or always have a CEL on my dash.
I will follow the link you posted and read up. Sounds like you will be my best option.
I'm sure I will need an initial "fire up" tune once I complete the work.
Only thing I don't have yet is the push rods. Need to use a push rod checker to figure out what rods to buy. Hopefully it's pretty simple.

Once the motor is done, will move on to the torque tube and new Monster clutch I already have. I picked up a torque tube from a 2004 Z06(12mm) to replace my 10mm version. Plan to do the clutch and remote bleeder at the same time. Clutch install by far has me the most nervous. Will also install the DTE trans/diff brace and Pfadt trans mount I have sitting here. Wanted to install a 3.90 diff at the same time but out of the budget right now. So will leave that for later.

You have many options. Give me a ring.

Chuck CoW

Get notified of new replies

To 1997: What are my Tuner options????

Quick Reply: 1997: What are my Tuner options????