C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Blinker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 03:10 PM
Fuzzy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Blinker Replacement

How do you get to the bulb in the very front right turn signal to replace?
Old 02-05-2005, 03:12 PM
Nukecop
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

i believe there is a plate located in front of the tire under the car, few screws to undo and reach under/ inside the housing
Old 02-05-2005, 03:46 PM
rbarley
Intermediate

Default Vette8

I just went through this bulb change. Pretty easy. There's a service panel up under the front corner, located in front of the front wheel to access the bulb from the under side. It's a black plastic panel with a few screws. The car is so low I had to jack it up a few inches to get into this area. In fact, the car is so low it's tough to get a floor jack under there, so pull up on top of a couple of boards to raise it up a few inches and then my floor jack fits under there easy. After the service panel is removed, reach into opening for the bulb and turn the retainer ring holding the bulb and remove. The replacement was only $5.00 for two and you can easily get them at Auto Zone or Advanced Auto Parts. Bulb number is 3157/4157NALL. Good luck! By the way, this is the bulb for both signal and DRL, one and the same.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:27 PM
raidersfan
Pro

Location: Spread The Virus!!!!!!! Opie and Anthony XM Satellite Radio

You can also access the bulbs by lifting the car and removing the wheel from what ever side the bulb is out on. Inside the fender well towards the front are 4 or 5 little screws to remove and the fender well can be pulled open enough to get your arm in and do your buisness. It beats laying on the ground.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:24 PM
FRISKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran

Just push the brake duct out of the way and you can reach the bulb thru the brake duct opening in the front fascia.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:33 PM
raidersfan
Pro

Originally Posted by FRISKY
Just push the brake duct out of the way and you can reach the bulb thru the brake duct opening in the front fascia.
You must have some very small hands and arms! There is no way possible I can fit my hand through the brake duct.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:51 AM
Vetteran
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07

Turn signal/lamp replacement
Old 02-06-2005, 03:27 AM
FRISKY
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by raidersfan
You must have some very small hands and arms! There is no way possible I can fit my hand through the brake duct.
Having hands to large to go thru the duct would be a problem.

The duct opening will flex quite a bit if warm. If you are able to go thru the duct (or get someone with smaller hands to do it,) you can change out a bulb in less than a minute without laying on the ground and without using any tools. I have relatively large hands/arms and have replaced many turn signal bulbs thru the duct opening.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:49 PM
silverz06vette
Drifting

The duct opening will flex quite a bit if warm. If you are able to go thru the duct (or get someone with smaller hands to do it,) you can change out a bulb in less than a minute without laying on the ground and without using any tools. I have relatively large hands/arms and have replaced many turn signal bulbs thru the duct opening.

I'm about 6'1" and 235lbs, I can get my hand in there. Maybe I have "girley man hands"
Old 02-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Fuzzy
Advanced

Thanks everyone. I'm gonna try the duct first. I pushed it in a litte, but did not want to go any further w/o getting some feed back.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:03 PM
FRISKY
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

The corrugated duct slip-fits over the lip on the hole in the fascia. You will need to push it about 1" - 2" inward and down to get it out of the way.

The bulb "holder/socket" has a small plastic locking-clip that needs to be pushed to allow it to rotate about 1/4-turn and release it from the turn signal lens housing. Once the socket is free, the wires should be long enough to allow you to change the bulb outside the brake duct hole.

The bulb just pushes straight into the socket.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:31 PM
PaPaChoc
Racer

Same here and I've probably replaced 4 or 5 on the left side! Takes about 2 minutes.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:46 PM
raidersfan
Pro

Hmm, I guess I forgot to mention that I am 6'4 280lbs and have been weight lifting for the past 20 years and a competetive body builder for the past 10.
Maybe thats why Anold said "girlie man, your arms will not fit through the small hole".
Old 02-06-2005, 09:48 PM
Fuzzy
Advanced

Well, my hand would not fit through brake duct. Pulled access panel & once I figured out how to release locking clip, it was a snap. Thanks to all for your help again!
Old 02-12-2005, 05:54 PM
Trackman
Intermediate

Default Release locking clip?

Originally Posted by Fuzzy
Well, my hand would not fit through brake duct. Pulled access panel & once I figured out how to release locking clip, it was a snap. Thanks to all for your help again!

So how does the locking clip release? I can get my hand on the lamp holder from the air duct but have yet to figure our just where the locking clip is or how to release it to get the lamp holder out. Thanks
Old 02-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Trackman
Intermediate

I can get my hand on the lamp holder but can not determine where the release is of how to sqeeze it.....is there a picture of it somewhere on this site?
Old 02-12-2005, 08:12 PM
Old Rotor Head
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by raidersfan

I have my 14 year old do it. Out and in in less than a minute. By the way, I blew 3 in 3 days and found a burn through hole in the top of the plastic housing. Water would drip on the bulb and bang. This may sound hokey but I siliconed a plastic bottle cap in the hole and haven't had a problem in over a year.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:36 PM
sam123
Cruising

How does the locking clip release? Still no joy.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2005, 07:16 AM
kg54trains
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Procedure...Replacement

Originally Posted by Vetteran

Big THANKS for the infor

Get notified of new replies

To Front Blinker Replacement

Quick Reply: Front Blinker Replacement