C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog lamps don't work, and it's not the bulbs or fuse...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 04:12 PM
tk97
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog lamps don't work, and it's not the bulbs or fuse...

The interior foglamp switch doesn't light up when I turn it on and the neither foglamps turn on when I lock or unlock the car. At first I thought it was the fuse, but when I checked the fuse in the fusebox under the hood it was still good. What else can it be? I haven't checked the interior fuse box because it doesn't show anything related to the foglamps (as far as I can see). This is really bugging me. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 02-07-2005, 04:46 PM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

The switch itself, might be bad. Pull the switch and check the wires with a volt meter, with the lights on.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:22 PM
tk97
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by screw991le
The switch itself, might be bad. Pull the switch and check the wires with a volt meter, with the lights on.
Good idea, never thought of that. I'll give that a try.

Old 02-08-2005, 09:55 PM
tk97
Burning Brakes

Before I start pulling the switch assembly apart does anyone know if it could possibly be something else (maybe an easier fix)?
Old 02-09-2005, 05:43 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Did you do the obvious idiot check first...the fogs won't come on if the turn signal lever is pushed into the 'brights' position

You can use the link to the fog light schematics in this post to help out your troubleshooting.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=672365

Old 02-09-2005, 09:20 AM
tk97
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by markcz
Did you do the obvious idiot check first...the fogs won't come on if the turn signal lever is pushed into the 'brights' position

You can use the link to the fog light schematics in this post to help out your troubleshooting.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=672365

Yup, did the idiot check . Thanks for the link, though. Hopefully that will help me find the problem.

Old 02-09-2005, 09:45 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

One thing you should be aware of, the fog light on/off switch is just a momentary contact. The contacts are only closed while you are holding down the button.

Let us know what you find.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:51 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Check the foglight relay, located in the fusebox next to the battery. Swap the fog relay with an identical looking neighbor. They pull out, straight up, some are very tight. You caould also have a second person see if it clicks when you push the foglight switch (engine off, key in RUN position)
Old 02-09-2005, 03:10 PM
tk97
Burning Brakes

I checked the relay in the fusebox next to the battery and it seemed to be fine (did not look burned out), but I didn't switch it with another to make totally sure. The mystery continues....
Old 02-10-2005, 02:26 AM
C5 Frederik
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tk97
I checked the relay in the fusebox next to the battery and it seemed to be fine (did not look burned out), but I didn't switch it with another to make totally sure. The mystery continues....

Same here with my rear fog light. Checked everything using the wiring diagram and the service manual. Ended up with the sentence: change BCM.
The BCM grounds the indicator light and it grounds the relay.
So I bought a new BCM and went to the dealer. He connected the TechII and found out, that the fogs were programmed out. Two clicks on his TechII and everything was fine again.
Maybe you give this a try.

Frederik

PS: Have a brandnew BCM for sale
Old 02-10-2005, 02:45 AM
tk97
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C5 Frederik
Same here with my rear fog light. Checked everything using the wiring diagram and the service manual. Ended up with the sentence: change BCM.
The BCM grounds the indicator light and it grounds the relay.
So I bought a new BCM and went to the dealer. He connected the TechII and found out, that the fogs were programmed out. Two clicks on his TechII and everything was fine again.
Maybe you give this a try.

Frederik

PS: Have a brandnew BCM for sale
Thanks for the tip, but I already found the problem. It seems to be a faulty connection with the switch itself, just like markcz suggested. It works now so I don't want to touch it. However, if it does it again I might have to buy a new switch. Thanks to everyone for all the replies.

Old 02-10-2005, 04:29 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by tk97
Thanks for the tip, but I already found the problem. It seems to be a faulty connection with the switch itself, just like markcz suggested. It works now so I don't want to touch it. However, if it does it again I might have to buy a new switch. Thanks to everyone for all the replies.

Hopefully it will be OK, but if you have to replace the switch itself the GM part number is 12135155. It's $31.83 + S/H at GMPD, or $56 + tax at your local dealer.

Old 02-10-2005, 07:49 PM
tk97
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by markcz

Hopefully it will be OK, but if you have to replace the switch itself the GM part number is 12135155. It's $31.83 + S/H at GMPD, or $56 + tax at your local dealer.

Thanks again! I'm going to take it apart this weekend when I have time and if it still doesn't work then I guess I'll be buying new switch.

Get notified of new replies

To Fog lamps don't work, and it's not the bulbs or fuse...

Quick Reply: Fog lamps don't work, and it's not the bulbs or fuse...