C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motorboat sound.... need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 12:25 PM
rowdyt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default motorboat sound.... need advice

I have read as many threads as I can find on this forum about x-pipes. I am considering an x-pipe to get rid of the motorboat sound at idle. However if yall could help me clear things up i would appreciate it.

I have read on a few posts on similar threads that they have noticed that the magnaflow x-pipe deepened the tone of the exhaust. Can any other magnaflow x-pipe guys vouch for this? .... Do all x-pipes make the tone deeper or is that a characteristic of magnaflow only. I love the 60"s muscle car DEEP rumble, so this is a plus!

which, if any, x-pipe would do both things (take away motorboat idle and deepen tone of the exhaust), magnaflow, corsa, bassani?

If anyone has any sound clips that i can used to compare before x-pipe/after x-pipe that would be awesome... the catback system can be any brand... I will be running loudmouths, but this doesnt matter I want this thread to be concentrated on x-pipe not catback.

any info/links/vids/sound files will be very helpful to me!!!!!
Old 02-10-2005, 12:48 PM
2003vert
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

everyone will have a different opinion but I believe that all x-pipes will do the same thing and sound about the same. they will take away motorboat idle and deepen tone of the exhaust.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:55 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

What exhaust do you have?

I have Stingers and can tell you even without the X pipe the sound my car makes would never be confused with a motor boat.

There are a few exhaust systems out there that could very much be confused with a pontoon boat trolling.

But Yes the X should even the tone, any X.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:12 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003vert
everyone will have a different opinion but I believe that all x-pipes will do the same thing and sound about the same. they will take away motorboat idle and deepen tone of the exhaust.

And before he answers I'm guessing Corsas. The Corsas are very motorboaty (not trashing anything, just my opinion).
Old 02-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Nothing sounds more aggressive than a 40 foot off shore racing boat with twin Chevy 502's pumping out 1500 horse power... That sound is awesome... call it a motor boat sound??? Damn right.
I love my Coda Indies.... more than Pizza..
Old 02-10-2005, 06:02 PM
rowdyt
Instructor

well i am putting slp loudmouths on. I like loud and I like deep sounding, the only thing is just the idle that I do not like. I dont mind popping on decel. I would just like the sound quality to improve when car is idling. Keep the comments comming tho I would love to hear some cases of people who bought an x-pipe after installing their exhaust and posting the their observations.

btw- evil twin I have almost all you pics saved on my computer your car is awesome (partly the inspiration to why I wanted a torch red vette .. too bad I cant afford your wheels tho).... feel like im talkin to a celebrity haha....

anyway I appreciate the responses and keep them coming!
Old 02-10-2005, 06:04 PM
usd2sing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi, well i'm really new to the vette scene..5wks now...i couldnt handle the non-existent sound of stock...here is a link that helped me to choose what type of exhaust to bolt on...everybody has thier opinions..but for me..i went with the maggy...nice note...not too loud...
check out this link:

http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=1.36.6602

just point your mouse to the exhaust name and it will play...
good luck...
Old 02-10-2005, 06:11 PM
rowdyt
Instructor

and yellow01 I did just hear corsa's this past weekend and it is partly why I am investigating an x-pipe because the guy mensioned it would make it sound better with an x-pipe so I started researching some. I have stock now... I had b&b twin bullets on my past vette (just didnt like the muffled woo sound) but i liked the loudness. Anyway, I just thought that was ironic that yellow01 mensioned that exhaust system.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:08 PM
rowdyt
Instructor

ttt
Old 02-12-2005, 10:28 AM
tjkzo6
Racer

Default motorboat sound.... need advice

I'm with an earlier post - Borla Quad tip Stinger.
I started out with just the Borla exhaust which sounds outstanding,
added the LPE long tube headers and a Corsa X-pipe. A great
combination, idle sounds mean yet not obnoxious, WOT takes me back to my big block days of the early '70s.

No motor boat sounds for this guy!

Good luck!
TJ
Old 02-12-2005, 10:45 AM
Irish Whiskey
Melting Slicks

I have the corsa system with x-pipe. However, I am installing in a few weeks the Kooks headers with high flow cats. There is an x-pipe with this set up so the corsa x-pipe will be available. We can talk.
You mean they make vettes in another color besides red??
Old 02-12-2005, 10:49 AM
Y2KVert
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor 06

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Nothing sounds more aggressive than a 40 foot off shore racing boat with twin Chevy 502's pumping out 1500 horse power... That sound is awesome... call it a motor boat sound??? Damn right.
I love my Coda Indies.... more than Pizza..
I beleave there is a slight difference from what you are reffering to and what this guy is asking for. If your car sounds like an off shore power boat making 1500 hp and you like it more power to you. As for some the "motor boat" sound is rather annoying and out of place (it's a high performance sports car no a pontoon boat). An X pipe will help deepen the tone and balance the the pressure in the pipes thus lessening the "motor boat" sound at idle.
I personally have Borla Stingers with no cats and TPIS headers. This set up equals LOUD. Idle sounds great too, no "motor boat" here.

ET enjoy your pizza.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:16 AM
VETFVER
Burning Brakes

Before I would spend the money on an X-pipe, I would open the holes between the H-pipe. Unless you have a 1997 or 1998, the hole is the size of a quarter. Opening up the size of that hole should cost you $30 at any muffler shop. I would try that first. I have heard that makes as much a difference as the X-pipe when it comes to sound.

Dan
Old 02-12-2005, 11:25 AM
BlueDragon
Drifting

I am running the LG LTs with the complete 3" system including the 3" random tech cats through a Corsa Indy system. Believe me there is no motorboat sound here! I think the 3" pipes deepen the tone and the 3" cats really open it up. WOT is GREAT and Idle sounds quiet but mean!

I had the B&B shortys through stock cats with a Bassini X pipe through the Corsa Indys and at idle she had the burble that you call motor boat.
WOT was really good, but a little on the high pitch side and idle was quiet, but sounded like a outboard boat idle.

Larger diameter pipes with the larger cats fixed that! It almost sounds like the older vettes with the large side pipes!
Old 02-12-2005, 02:12 PM
RJP51
Racer

Default Exhaust sounds

Check these sounds out. I have a subwoofer on my computer and they sound awesome. However remember that these are recordings and there are several factors that may affect the actual sound (ie distance from vehicle while recording, garaged ,etc). Hope this helps. I am putting on a Corsa X pipe and Corsa touring. I have been told that they are the quietest while driving but sound great at WOT.
Enjoy,
Rob
robflies@comcast.net
http://www.thx2.net/exhaust.htm
www.westcoastcorvette.com
Old 02-12-2005, 04:02 PM
HRDTOPC54FUN
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 143 Likes on 87 Posts

IMO, I think any of the X pipes will reduce the motorboat sound. The larger 3 inch pipes also seem to help a little as well. Keep in mind though that these are small block motors and will always have a higher pitched exhaust note than a big block. I have LG Pro LTs with Randon Tech 3" cats and X pipe into Corsa Indys. My car idles at 1100 rpm and the idle is awsome and really screams at WOT. The important thing for me though, is that at highway cruising speed in sixth gear 70-75 mph the interior is quiet (more tire noise than exhaust).
Old 02-13-2005, 04:56 AM
rowdyt
Instructor

... so for a 3" x-pipe I can not use factory cats correct... if I have a completely stock setup (excluding the loudmought catbacks on the way) then my only option is the magnaflow, corsa, or bassani?

Sorry, Im an idiot... and broke so I cant upgrade headers, cats for a little while... especially after having my car broken into last week. I like the sound of BlueDragon saying that 3" pipes deepen the tone and get rid of that motorboat/ burble sound at idle, but not if it means I need to buy highflow cats etc.

by the way thank yall very much for all of the information
Old 02-13-2005, 08:17 AM
BT-01-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

With just my Corsa's, I had that motorboat sound. When I up graded to TPIS & Random Tech complete midsection I still had it at idle but WOT was nasty. Once I did the H/C, the lope did away with it completey and talk about WOT Sounds like a freaking stock car but at hwy cruise it purrrs like a kitten, no drone

Get notified of new replies

To motorboat sound.... need advice

Quick Reply: motorboat sound.... need advice