C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 12:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Steering Column Lock FAQs - please read before you post (sticky please)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 08:15 PM
AZ99FRC
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Well, I just looked up this thread and saw my name used in vain in the first few pages when I had posted, on some other thread, about the $500 repair bill I had on my 99 when, after several years with a CLB installed and no trouble, the car got the dreaded Service Column Lock message and would not run without a fuel cutoff. I just reported what I was told by the dealer; that my BCM was screwed up and some circuits were fried. I never said they replaced my BCM. I don't recall getting any followup questions about my post but evidently I did and failed to explain myself adequately. Truth is, I have no idea what happened to the car but I do know I paid that bill.

Reason I was searching for this thread? Yup, it happened again! This time I think is was related to the battery going down. It's two years old and that's all they usually last in this desert. The car is being flatbedded into the dealer tomorrow and I think I'll print out this thread to show the service rep. Maybe he can explain what the hell happened this time to the satisfaction of you all, and me!
Old 10-28-2005, 08:53 AM
Lestat52
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Back up and running thanks to this thread

Thanks to you Cscokd. My car has been sitting in the garage since we have had weeks of constant rain, so on a nice day I decided to take it out. Got in the car and got the PULL KEY and SERVICE COLUMN LOCK messages. None of the tips to unlock it worked. I had the recall done in Nov of 2004, so I thought I was ok. WRONG.... Well thanks to this thread and the forum, I found the Harmess K, put it back to normal and it started right up. I have ordered the CLB kit from COH and will install once I get it. Thanks again!!!!
Old 11-03-2005, 10:54 AM
gcgxplosv1216
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My Column Lock/ wait 10 Seconds Fix

Okay folks just like I suspected more times than none it is the early ignition key assembly, the parts are listed at the Corvette Action Center, your C5 will need a PCM reflash by the stealership once replaced but more than likely this will solve your problem. My Vette is a 1997 C5 A4, I can't speak on the manual cars. After an attempted theft during Hurricane RITA the insurance paid for mine with all the other damage the knee bolster and a few other interior pieces to include the seat control panel cover on the driver's side, painting of the roof panel and weather strip, less the deductable $579.00, lets just say I lucked out.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:56 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Regarding this issue below. How can I keep the Service Error message from coming up? I rather not see it pop up even though it takes a sec to clear it. Call me ****>>>

'''Q What can happen then if my CLB gets out of sync?
A Your DIC will display "Service Steering Column Lock" error message; your steering wheel will not be locked; if you own a 1997-2000 C5 that has not had the recall implemented; you should be able to drive your car normally. You must reset your DIC each time you start your car if you are annoyed with the error message. IF you have a newer C5 (2001-2004) OR you've had the recall implemented, you will NOT be able to drive your car because the fuel will be shut off at speeds above 2 mph."""
Old 11-15-2005, 07:34 PM
Cscokd
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tabbruzz
Regarding this issue below. How can I keep the Service Error message from coming up? I rather not see it pop up even though it takes a sec to clear it. Call me ****>>>

'''Q What can happen then if my CLB gets out of sync?
A Your DIC will display "Service Steering Column Lock" error message; your steering wheel will not be locked; if you own a 1997-2000 C5 that has not had the recall implemented; you should be able to drive your car normally. You must reset your DIC each time you start your car if you are annoyed with the error message. IF you have a newer C5 (2001-2004) OR you've had the recall implemented, you will NOT be able to drive your car because the fuel will be shut off at speeds above 2 mph."""
Please provide more info..A4/MN6? recall done? CLB installed? original owner? etc.
John
Old 11-15-2005, 10:19 PM
AZ99FRC
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ99FRC
Well, I just looked up this thread and saw my name used in vain in the first few pages when I had posted, on some other thread, about the $500 repair bill I had on my 99 when, after several years with a CLB installed and no trouble, the car got the dreaded Service Column Lock message and would not run without a fuel cutoff. I just reported what I was told by the dealer; that my BCM was screwed up and some circuits were fried. I never said they replaced my BCM. I don't recall getting any followup questions about my post but evidently I did and failed to explain myself adequately. Truth is, I have no idea what happened to the car but I do know I paid that bill.

Reason I was searching for this thread? Yup, it happened again! This time I think is was related to the battery going down. It's two years old and that's all they usually last in this desert. The car is being flatbedded into the dealer tomorrow and I think I'll print out this thread to show the service rep. Maybe he can explain what the hell happened this time to the satisfaction of you all, and me!
Update:

It was a bad actuator again. I gave up and had them perform the entire recall incld the PCM reflash. good news is that we are lucky enough to have a great service rep who went the extra mile for us. The Chev zone warranty guy happened to be in town and our rep got him to cover all the repairs including the new acutator. More good news, even though I had the tuner notified that we might need our old tune rebuilt (since he said it would be a cut and paste job; not just a simple reflash), the car runs fine. The idle was too low at first but a relearn and some miles fixed that and now it runs as good as before. I had ordered a new CLB from COH and I intend to put that in when I get some time. Cause I'm back in the 'put the CLB in no matter what crowd'.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:28 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Hi,

It's a 99 A4 with the CLB. I did not have the recall done. I never had any error messages until my battery died. Now upon startup I see the Service Column Lock. I just reset it and it goes away.....I rather not ever see it if possible...Thanks Tony
Old 11-16-2005, 04:12 PM
R3DC5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, new owner here and I don't know if I need to worry about this or not. CarFax shows that the ECL Harness was replaced on our 2000 A4 Coupe in 2001. Current owner has had no issues/problems.

Does this mean my car is good to go, or could it still lock up on me? Do I need to install a CLB or did the recall take care of me?
Old 11-17-2005, 03:12 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Originally Posted by ViperTruck2933
Okay, new owner here and I don't know if I need to worry about this or not. CarFax shows that the ECL Harness was replaced on our 2000 A4 Coupe in 2001. Current owner has had no issues/problems.

Does this mean my car is good to go, or could it still lock up on me? Do I need to install a CLB or did the recall take care of me?
You're good to go as long as your Harness K relay does not fail. If it does, you're column lock will not happen, you'll get the "Service Column Lock" error message and your fuel will be shut off if you attempt to drive it. The CLB tends to be more reliable in my opinion. As a minimum, I would familiarize myself with the location of the column lock motor harness if your Harness K relay ever fails, you can simply unplug it and restore your column lock motor connection back to original and drive your car until you can get repairs.
John
Old 11-17-2005, 12:03 PM
R3DC5
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cscokd
You're good to go as long as your Harness K relay does not fail. If it does, you're column lock will not happen, you'll get the "Service Column Lock" error message and your fuel will be shut off if you attempt to drive it. The CLB tends to be more reliable in my opinion. As a minimum, I would familiarize myself with the location of the column lock motor harness if your Harness K relay ever fails, you can simply unplug it and restore your column lock motor connection back to original and drive your car until you can get repairs.
John
Cool, thanks for the info.

Hoping to take delivery today. Can't wait.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:42 PM
dss
Intermediate

Default Auto Head light problems, after recall

Has anyone experience the auto headlight on and off, not turning on. I have intermittent problems of the headlight not turning on or not turning on until it gets very dark. This all seemed to have started after I took my car in for the steering column recall and they disabled my column lock altogether.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:39 PM
Cscokd
Drifting

Originally Posted by dss
Has anyone experience the auto headlight on and off, not turning on. I have intermittent problems of the headlight not turning on or not turning on until it gets very dark. This all seemed to have started after I took my car in for the steering column recall and they disabled my column lock altogether.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:00 AM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

Default Steering column disassembly writeup?

Clearly, there's still much debate about what the right way to deal with this problem is. It seems that the only guaranteed way to fix the issue is to remove the lock plate and/or the actuator motor.

Is there anyone who has done this, that would be willing to describe the procedure for the benefit of others who wish to do the same?

I've been in and out of the older GM steering columns many times, for tightening wobbly tilt knuckles, and replacing multifunction switches, steering wheels, etc... so I figure it can't be that difficult with the proper tools.

Anyone brave enough to post?

-A.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:07 PM
00'Vette
Racer

If I take my car to the dealer to have them fix the thing, will they do it for free? And will I have to have my computer retuned for the cam I'm running?
Old 11-29-2005, 01:01 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Originally Posted by 00'Vette
If I take my car to the dealer to have them fix the thing, will they do it for free? And will I have to have my computer retuned for the cam I'm running?
Yes - if you take it in for them to do the recall mod they will do it for free (notice I did NOT say they would fix it)
Yes - If you have the dealer do the recall, you will lose your PCM flash program.

Save yourself a big hassle and skip the recall and install the CLB.
John
Old 11-30-2005, 01:10 AM
00'Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Cscokd
Yes - if you take it in for them to do the recall mod they will do it for free (notice I did NOT say they would fix it)
Yes - If you have the dealer do the recall, you will lose your PCM flash program.

Save yourself a big hassle and skip the recall and install the CLB.
John
I will............thanks for the information. Its greatly appreciated.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:09 AM
Corvettetodd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Another Column Lock Question

I have a 99 A4 Coupe which had the 01044 recall done back in Nov. 2001 they also mention a ECL relay harness.
The lock plate must be disabled because I can hear the motor when I turn the key on and off.
Recently I got the dreaded "service column lock" message on the DIC, but the cars still runs,but I can no longer hear the ECL motor working.
I pulled fuse # 25 and re inserted and the message went away and I could hear the ECL motor working again...that is until the next day it reappeared.
My question is will the CLB mentioned in this thread stop this error message from appearing on my DIC? I have been just resetting it at each start up, but I am looking for a more permanant solution.
By the way I am a proud new C5 owner and new to this forum love the comraderie that us Corvette owners share....

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Column Lock FAQs - please read before you post (sticky please)

Old 12-09-2005, 02:24 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Originally Posted by Corvettetodd
I have a 99 A4 Coupe which had the 01044 recall done back in Nov. 2001 they also mention a ECL relay harness.
The lock plate must be disabled because I can hear the motor when I turn the key on and off.
Recently I got the dreaded "service column lock" message on the DIC, but the cars still runs,but I can no longer hear the ECL motor working.
I pulled fuse # 25 and re inserted and the message went away and I could hear the ECL motor working again...that is until the next day it reappeared.
My question is will the CLB mentioned in this thread stop this error message from appearing on my DIC? I have been just resetting it at each start up, but I am looking for a more permanant solution.
By the way I am a proud new C5 owner and new to this forum love the comraderie that us Corvette owners share....
Todd - CLB should provide a permanent fix for you. While you install it, make sure you do not have the harness K in the circuit. If you do, simply remove it, disconnect your column lock motor and plug in your CLB. Then you should be good to go.
John
Old 12-11-2005, 08:42 PM
Black C5 LS1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TkitPlz
Is anyone with an 04 MN6 having these column lock issues? My car was built in about June of 04 and I've checked on a recall for it on this issue and GM tells me there is no recall for my car. So, I'm wondering whether to do the CLB or not. How's the old saying, "don't trouble trouble 'til trouble troubles you." I'm not sure that should hold true here or not. Thoughts? Thanks. Dan
Dan,
This is called a delayed response! My 04 MN6 exhibited its first symptoms of the column lock blues a couple weeks ago, after having the battery run down sitting in my parents' garage due to non-use over about a month. If I were you, I'd definitely have the CLB installed, as it seems more like a matter of time.
After jumping mine, the column was locked with the engine on. I let it run long enough (about 5 minutes) to get the battery back up; then killed the engine, and restarted it. The column unlocked, but the Service Column Lock message now comes on every time I start the car.
I'm going to do the fuse-pull trick over Christmas (since my car is in LA and I'm in VA) and I'll let you know how it goes.
John (Cscokd): any words of advice (or perhaps consolation) you'd like to give us '04 MN6 owners? Should I put in the aftermarket CLB after doing the fuse-pulling trick? One thing I'm definitely going to invest in is a battery tender, because, unfortunately, my car sits for long periods. This is the second time the battery has run down. Miraculously, however, I didn't get the Service Column Lock message the first time.

John D.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:53 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Originally Posted by Black C5 LS1
Dan,
This is called a delayed response! My 04 MN6 exhibited its first symptoms of the column lock blues a couple weeks ago, after having the battery run down sitting in my parents' garage due to non-use over about a month. If I were you, I'd definitely have the CLB installed, as it seems more like a matter of time.
After jumping mine, the column was locked with the engine on. I let it run long enough (about 5 minutes) to get the battery back up; then killed the engine, and restarted it. The column unlocked, but the Service Column Lock message now comes on every time I start the car.
I'm going to do the fuse-pull trick over Christmas (since my car is in LA and I'm in VA) and I'll let you know how it goes.
John (Cscokd): any words of advice (or perhaps consolation) you'd like to give us '04 MN6 owners? Should I put in the aftermarket CLB after doing the fuse-pulling trick? One thing I'm definitely going to invest in is a battery tender, because, unfortunately, my car sits for long periods. This is the second time the battery has run down. Miraculously, however, I didn't get the Service Column Lock message the first time.

John D.
John,
You probably already have a relay mod installed from the factory. We've had to hunt it down and remove it on several occasions. If it was me, I would do the following:
1. After battery is completely charged, reset your BCM. This should get you back to where you started unless something else has failed.
2. Get the battery tender if you leave your car stored for long periods of time.
3. Eventually, find and remove the relay that has been added behind or above your BCM. Install a CLB and disconnect your ECL unit.
4. PM me if you get started and need help and I'll try to talk you through it over the phone.
John (cscokd)

Quick Reply: Steering Column Lock FAQs - please read before you post (sticky please)