C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service ABS, Service Traction Control, Service Active Handling Messages

Old 02-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Grable
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service ABS, Service Traction Control, Service Active Handling Messages

Need some help!

My 2000 Vette has constant display of Service ABS, Service Active Handling, and Service Traction Control. All the messages started at once. The only experience with Services messages some time prior was "Active Handling Warming Up" message displayed occasionally.

I am attempting to understand whether one connection or problem would cause all three Service Messages to appear. And, what is the most logical approach to sequentially check for the problem.

Can anyone tell me the least complex issue that could cause the problem to the most complex (Example: fuse to pickup sensors?) and the location of same so I might begin the cumbersome task of finding a solution?

Your experience and help would be appreciated.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:23 AM
FRISKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran

What codes are you getting?
Old 02-14-2005, 10:28 AM
yellowvette837
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03 thru'19
Tampa Events Princess
2015 C6 of Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by FRISKY
What codes are you getting?
I would guess no codes...
I get these message frenquently (they come and go) and never any codes
Old 02-14-2005, 10:47 AM
simpleman68
Le Mans Master

It would help if you listed a few basic details about your car.
Year
Mods
Tune

I've seen those messages from bad pcm's, bcm's and goofy tune issues that throw off communications from modules that mess up torque management.

More details will hlep people help you more accurately.
Scott
Old 02-14-2005, 02:04 PM
ronwc
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

I had something similar with mine some months ago. It was just a bad ground. Check and clean the two grounds behind the headlights on the chassis -
Old 02-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Grable
3rd Gear

I have not attempted to display the codes that are causing these Service Message on the console.

I have a C5 2000 Convertible with approximately 45,000 miles on it. No special mods installed. Just a stock C5.

Would looking at the specific codes logged define the problem more specifically. If so, how does one go about displaying the codes from the console buttons.

I will extract the codes and post them on this thread for futher help once I get the instructions to proceed.

Thanks,
Old 02-14-2005, 10:36 PM
ANTIVINUM
Racer

I get the same error. I think the code is a 1226. I was told there is a sensor in my right front wheel hub that is going on the fritz. Some thing about how the T/C monitors the difference in wheel speeds.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:07 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

ABS, T/C and AH all use the wheel speed sensors, the EBTCM, the steering position sensor and probably a few other items I have forgotten. Codes only point you in the direction to look and in a lot of cases only indicate a symptom. Once you have the codes you have to apply the diagnostic procedures indicated in the service manual for each code. Poor grounds, loose wheel speed sensors can cause these problems. As with most electonics poor connections cause most of the problems.

Bill
Old 02-15-2005, 07:58 AM
Mighty-Mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like Bill said the best we can do is point you in the right direction.

But if you have all lights on then it will be, in order of likely-hood:

1. Wheel speed sensor or connector
- debris on the sensor head
- a short or corroded connector
- physically damaged

2. Tone wheel - if the air gap gets to big it will throw a code
- wear has increased the amount it can move around

3. The main ABS pump
- dirty fluid
- just plain broke

4. The valve block -BPMV
- dirty fluid
- sticking valve
- damaged seal
- shorted solenoid

5. ECU - EBTCM

Possible ,but unlikely:

- steering wheel angle sensor - the ABS would still function
- secondary TC/AH priming pump (which is in the ABS pump body) - the ABS would still function
- throttle body sensor - the ABS would still function
- brake pressure sensor - the ABS would still function
- sensor cluster, yaw sensor and lateral accelerometer - ABS and TC would still function

How it works:

For ABS only (4-channel):
- wheel speed sensor
- tone wheel (a toothed wheels that the sensor uses to determine wheel speed)
- 4 valve ABS block
- non-priming pump (means it will not produce enough pressure on it own, only works when the pedal is depressed)
- ECU

Added for TC (minimum):
- 8 valve block
- secondary priming pump
- throttle position sensor
- brake pressure sensor
- relative velocity sensor

Added for AH:
- 12 valve block
- upgraded priming pump (needs to be very responsive)
- steering wheel angle sensor
- yaw sensor
- lateral accelerometer

- some cars use a longitudinal accelerometer
- some cars use a load (or ride height) sensor
The following 2 users liked this post by Mighty-Mouse:
BQuicksilver (07-11-2018), ShagVette (03-12-2019)
Old 02-15-2005, 08:26 PM
Grable
3rd Gear

Mighty-Mouse

Great reply. Gives me some insight as to where to begin. The C5 is out of warranty so don't want to be at the mercy of the dealership.

Will attempt to locate the problem and resolve. At last resort, I always have the GM service as final backup.

If and when I find the failure, I will report back.

Thanks,
Old 02-15-2005, 09:48 PM
ecook
Racer

I get the service active handeling message sometimes. If it goes away when you turn off the ignition and restart the car should I still be concerned???
Old 02-16-2005, 01:56 AM
C3vette75
Intermediate

I had the same message on my 2001 two years ago. I took it to the dealer and had them do the following. So far no problems.

Re: TSB #01-05-25-004 (WP) 7:06 PM 6/28/2002

Only lists the TSB for 01 and 02 model years.
But here you go anyway:
Yellow: Traction Control/Handling Lamp On, Drivers Info Center Displays Service Active Hndlg (Handling) (Repair/Reprogram ABS Module) #01-05-25-004
Yellow: Traction Control/Handling Lamp On and Driver's Info Center Displays Service Active Hndlg (Handling) (Repair/Reprogram ABS Module)
2001 Chevrolet Corvette
Condition
Some customers may comment that the "Yellow" message, "Service Traction Active Handling", is illuminated on the Driver's Information Center.
The technician may find chassis DTC C1288 -- Vehicle Stability Enhancement System (VSES) Steering Wheel Sensor Phase A and B. When this code is set, the VSES is turned off; ABS and TCS remain operational.
Correction
Verify the Techline equipment has been updated with TIS software 20.5 or newer. If it has not been updated, do so now. This software was broadcast to dealerships on January 1, 2001. CD #1 for 2001 was mailed in early January, 2001.
Install the scan tool to the vehicle.
Enter the chassis applications.
Select F1: ABS/TCS/VSES.
Select F4: ID Information.
Select F1: Controller Information 2.
If the DE Calibration P/N is 12212175 (this calibration went into production 11/30/00 after VIN 15114788), refer to the Service Information for diagnosis.
If the DE Calibration P/N is 12204887, it will be necessary to update the ABS module.
Important
The update cannot be performed until fuse #25 (Body Control Module-Ignition 1, Instrument Panel Control) 10 amp is removed from the Instrument Panel fuse block which is located on the passenger's side of the vehicle (under the Instrument Panel and under the toe board).
Without removal of the fuse (prior to requesting information), unsuccessful reprogramming may occur.

Power down the scan tool.
Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
Remove fuse #25, (Body Control Module-Ignition 1, Instrument Panel Control) 10 amp.
Using the scan tool, perform the usual SPS reprogramming of the ABS module.
Power down the scan tool.
Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
Replace fuse #25, (Body Control Module-Ignition 1, Instrument Panel Control) 10 amp.
Verify the ABS DE Calibration P/N. If it is not P/N 12212175, redo the SPS programing procedure listed above.
Clear the codes from all the modules.
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use.
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

N8520*
ABS Module - Reprogram
0.6 hr

*This is a unique labor operation to be used only with this bulletin. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.
ms.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:59 AM
Mighty-Mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You really do need to pull the codes to figure out the exact area.

If it's the pump of valve block there really isn't any way to test it in your garage. You'll need a hand-held (ABS scan-tool) to activate and test those items.

For the wheel speed sensors, check at each corner that they are not lose, that the wire is in good shape and the connector is not damaged, lose or the pins corroded. It's easier if you remove the wheel. If all looks good then you can test the current.

To measure a wheel speed sensor’s output voltage and circuit continuity at the same time, plug a breakout box into the ABS module’s wiring harness and attach the test leads from a DVOM to the appropriate sensor circuit pins on the breakout box. (The DVOM test leads can also be connected directly to the wheel speed sensor, but testing the sensor this way won’t show if the signal is getting through to the ABS control module or not.) Spin the wheel by hand and note the sensor’s voltage reading.

A good wheel speed sensor will generally produce an alternating current (AC) voltage reading of 50 to 700 MV when the wheel is spun at a speed of about one revolution per second.

If the voltage reading is low or nonexistent, check the sensor’s resistance (with the key off). This can be done through the breakout box with the DVOM. Checking resistance through the breakout box will tell you if the sensor’s wiring harness is OK. If you don’t get the specified value (990 to 1,210 ohms for the front sensors and 900 to 1,100 ohms for the rear sensors on a Corvette, for example), disconnect the sensor from its wiring harness and check the sensor’s resistance by attaching the DVOM test probes to the sensor leads.

A resistance reading that’s not within range tells you the problem is in the wiring, not the sensor. If the sensor has too much internal resistance (opens) or too little resistance (shorts), the sensor is defective and needs to be replaced.

Grounds or shorts in the wheel speed sensor cables can be found by checking continuity between the wiring connectors. If a defect is found in the wires that run between the sensor and the chassis, replacing the wires with new ones is a better repair choice than trying to fix or splice them. These wires undergo a great deal of flexing every time the suspension encounters a bump, so new wires will hold up better than ones that have been soldered, spliced or taped.
The wiring harness is connected to the EBTCM

For the tone wheel, take off the wheel and the brake rotor.
Check to see it's not lose or if teeth are missing.

Typical, but not Corvette:

If you really want to DYI And you're related to Bill Gates:
http://www.advancedsyst.com/ASC1561.html
Old 02-16-2005, 07:36 AM
noelc5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ronwc
I had something similar with mine some months ago. It was just a bad ground. Check and clean the two grounds behind the headlights on the chassis -

I had this same problem. It was a ground for my RDCM. Check your grounds.

There are two grounds up front behind the headlight assemblies and there's supposedly 2 in the rear. I was only able to find one, which was on the outside of the rear frame behind storage compartment. If that's not clear lemme know.

To clean mine I backed the nut off and hit the nut and frame with 800 grit and tightened the little fella back down. Best of luck!
Old 02-16-2005, 08:50 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Watch this wire to the EBCM to be sure it doesn't touch the belts. Mine did.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:48 AM
WickedC00L
Heel & Toe

Default Reply to Sensor Problem

Grable, I had the same exact problem the other morning, that's how I found your posting here. I have a 2002 Corvette I just bought last week. And I was able to fix the problem relatively easily. Unhook the battery terminal for about 30 min. That will reset the computer. If the lights don't come back on, you'll know that a sensor just threw a misc. code. It might have been dirty, or the wind blew across it funny or something. (You know how these sensors go) If the warning lights do come back on, then you should obviously investigate further. In my case, it fixed the problem right up.

Crap like that used to happen to my 2002 Camaro every once in a while. The check engine light, or some other light would come on. After I took it to the dealership the first couple of times, and nothing was wrong, they suggested that I first try reseting the computer by unplugging the battery. If it is indeed an actual problem, the lights will come back on. Then you worry. I'm interested to know if this fixes the problem. - Ryan
Old 12-02-2016, 08:26 PM
KyleDreher01
8th Gear

So I changed out my multi function switch and now my Service Traction System light is on? Any ideas?

Get notified of new replies

To Service ABS, Service Traction Control, Service Active Handling Messages

Old 12-02-2016, 09:14 PM
KyleDreher01
8th Gear

Thanks, i will get the codes tomorrow!....is it possible i bumped or knocked the steering wheel position sensor connection loose causing this problem?
Old 12-03-2016, 12:11 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I agree with most all posts concerning your messages
To help you understand what is causing the messages---1st realize that both the "traction control system" and the "ABS braking system" uses data from your wheel speed sensors
The TC system uses the speed sensors to prevent the rear wheels from spinning on a hard launch
The ABS system uses the wheel speed sensors to control the wheels from skidding on a hard stop
So if you are getting active handling or TCS or ABS warnings all at once it points directly to your wheel speed sensors---This is very common--sometimes even driving on a rough road or over railroad tracks will momentarily cause a wheel speed sensor fault
Most often the fix is to check each sensor pigtail at every wheel---They often get fouled with rain or dirt---Make sure each sensor pigtail is clean--Clean them with Brake Cleaner---plug them back in----Also make sure all the wires to the sensors are "GOOD" and not frayed or broken---Check the reluctor star wheel on the brake rotors---They look like a set of gears that connect to nothing however they report the wheel speeds--
Sometimes you will get a rock pebble stuck in the teeth or some other debris---this wil again cause the sensors to not read corectly
Old 12-03-2016, 09:15 AM
KyleDreher01
8th Gear

I will clean all those and get the codes. I just didnt think it would be the tire sensors because I changed the Multifunction switch then put everything back together and the Service Traction System Light came on before I even drove it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service ABS, Service Traction Control, Service Active Handling Messages