C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stealth location for radar detector

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 03:36 AM
tem00
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stealth location for radar detector

I am looking for sugestions on a stealth location to put a V1 radar detector.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:06 AM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is about as "stealthy" as I've seen .... and the V1 still be able to do its job.

Old 02-27-2005, 07:55 AM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

that's where I have my passport 8500 mounted, only mine is on the other side of the mirror.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:59 AM
tem00
Advanced

Do you have any pictures or describe where it is, i cant view the pictues.

thanks
Old 02-27-2005, 11:04 AM
tem00
Advanced

thanks for the input.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:50 PM
DirteeDave
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

IMO, those mounting locations are too high. They are aimed thru the tint at the top of the windshield which cuts down proficiency. Also, I'm not sure how well they "see" out the rear when mounted that high. I have mine mounted so it is aimed just below the tint strip on the driver side of the rear view mirror.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:53 PM
BEEN THERE
Racer

another option
http://www.passportsr1.com/srx.htm
Old 02-27-2005, 02:56 PM
dragon84
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$1500.00 for a radar detector????
Old 02-27-2005, 03:04 PM
RDVT4ME
Burning Brakes

I used the Great Lakes Trophy Co mirror mount with the V1 hardwired. Mounts directly under the mirror. Most people never know it's there.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:14 PM
jhiiidoc
Racer

Default Hi mount the radar/laser detector

Originally Posted by DirteeDave
IMO, those mounting locations are too high. They are aimed thru the tint at the top of the windshield which cuts down proficiency. Also, I'm not sure how well they "see" out the rear when mounted that high. I have mine mounted so it is aimed just below the tint strip on the driver side of the rear view mirror.
I disagree.

The higher the radar detector is mounted, the further "over the horizon" it can see, and the more likely it is to pick up a signal over a hill sooner.

As far as the tint strip, the intensity of a LASER punches through the tint. I've had no problem picking up the car in front of me getting lased.

You are correct about the rear detection. It dramatically blocks rear view of a laser and will cut down on radar reception coming from the rear. However, I'd say that 90% of radar traps are set to catch you approaching, not driving away.

I've had mine mounted next to the rear view mirror on my C4 for 3 years, and now in the same position on my C5. Works like a charm, and keeps me from getting nailed by the troopers on I-95.

The best setup for stealth would be one of the remote-style detectors with the receivers mounted where you need them.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:24 PM
DirteeDave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jhiiidoc
I disagree.

The higher the radar detector is mounted, the further "over the horizon" it can see, and the more likely it is to pick up a signal over a hill sooner.

As far as the tint strip, the intensity of a LASER punches through the tint. I've had no problem picking up the car in front of me getting lased.
That may be true about the LASER but what about the K bands? I tend to believe the manufacturer's recommendation not to shoot thru the tint strip.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:30 PM
spdnman
Pro

Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE
This is about as "stealthy" as I've seen .... and the V1 still be able to do its job.

I have my V1 near the passenger visor and mounted the remote speaker mount and controls in a custom piece of leather covered plexiglass in the ashtray. Hidden well and works like a charm!!!

Last edited by spdnman; 02-28-2005 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:21 PM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by RPOZ4Z
that's where I have my passport 8500 mounted, only mine is on the other side of the mirror.

Mine is mounted to the left of the mirror...as high up into the tint as possible. When I leave the car, I put the visor down, and it can't be seen looking in from the side window. Not easily seen from the windshield either.
Oh, and mine is a V-1 also.

Funny note...I was on the highway today, and with it mounted high up into the tint, I picked up radar from behind me with no problem. Actually, I had a problem...one car behind me kept setting off my rearward detector. I know that Lexus has cruise controls that include a forward looking radar which will automatically slow the car if it approaches an upcoming vehicle. I suspect I was picking up that type of radar. Obviously...I was going too slow in the Vette, and I had to correct that problem immediately!!

Last edited by gpotski; 02-27-2005 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:50 AM
jbullitt
Intermediate

Default Where are you getting power ??

Where are you getting into the power with the unit mounted by the rear view mirror ??
Old 02-28-2005, 12:26 PM
WolfeBros
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'10-'11

Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE

Mine is mounted in about the same location. Maybe a tad lower so as to see out the back window. I remote mounted the display in the ash tray area. With the tinted windows you really can't see the detector unless you really look hard for it. It works well there and the remote mounting keeps those red LEDS from showing at night.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:57 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DirteeDave
I have mine mounted in the exact same spot, also a bit lower, and I have ZERO problems with it! If the efficiency is cut down, then I can't see it, because it spots radar long before I can see the LEO's. When the lights go off, and the sounds jump at you, all it takes is a glance at the detector and it tells you which direction it is coming from. I, personally, wouldn't change a thing (except that I'm sending mine in for the POP2 upgrade. Which at $55 plus shipping is a Steal!). Good Luck to you!
Old 02-28-2005, 03:54 PM
DirteeDave
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jbullitt
Where are you getting into the power with the unit mounted by the rear view mirror ??
Mine is connected via the rear view mirror power harness.

Get notified of new replies

To Stealth location for radar detector

Old 02-28-2005, 04:07 PM
2kbluestreak
Burning Brakes

Mine is mounted on the far left upper corner of the windshield. From the outside, it is fairly well concealed by the A pillar and the tinting.
Probably not a good location for RD's with angled faces.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:05 PM
xtream1
Drifting

Location: Stealth So Cal GOCC ...comming to invade your neighborhood soon

Originally Posted by RDVT4ME
I used the Great Lakes Trophy Co mirror mount with the V1 hardwired. Mounts directly under the mirror. Most people never know it's there.

Mine's also mounted there. It looks like a factory item and works perfectly there.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:19 PM
C5Jim
Racer

I have mine located to the left of the mirror up high in the area of the tint. I've had no problems detecting radar.

I ran a direct cord down the right side pillar and picked up power via the glove box light.

Quick Reply: Stealth location for radar detector