C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are those knock sensors for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 11:09 AM
0Vette Stripes
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08
Default What are those knock sensors for?

Hi,
I just pulled my 2 knock sensors and 1 in great condition and another looks like a battery terminal got corrosion.
Should I replace it? Does anyone know how much for 1?
Thanks,
-Mike
Old 02-27-2005, 11:34 AM
debmwb
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you mean O2 sensors? Why did you pull them?
Old 02-27-2005, 02:07 PM
0Vette Stripes
Former Vendor

No, they are not O2 sensors.
They are knock sensors in the valley cover underneath of your intake manifold (check attached picture).
I am converting my LS1 PCV system to LS6 PCV system while upgrade to stage 3 heads.
-Mike

Originally Posted by debmwb
Do you mean O2 sensors? Why did you pull them?
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2005, 02:17 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am not sure how much they cost -- but if you have doubts about one or both of them, I would definitely replace them.

The knock sensors are there to save your motor from destroying itself. This is ULTRA important for modified cars that may be more prone to seeing knock, but it's also very important for even completely bone stock cars.

Over time, you get carbon build-up on your pistons which leads to increased compression ratio... which means that your motor is more prone to knocking. Depending on the severity of the knocking/pre-detonation, you could destroy your motor.

Don't get me wrong -- you could easily skate by over the next few years and never get any knocking and never have a problem with two broken knock sensors, but you never know...
Old 02-28-2005, 11:33 AM
0Vette Stripes
Former Vendor

Thanks diynoob!
-Mike
***BTW, more comments are welcome
Old 02-28-2005, 06:59 PM
debmwb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by diynoob
I am not sure how much they cost -- but if you have doubts about one or both of them, I would definitely replace them.

The knock sensors are there to save your motor from destroying itself. This is ULTRA important for modified cars that may be more prone to seeing knock, but it's also very important for even completely bone stock cars.

Over time, you get carbon build-up on your pistons which leads to increased compression ratio... which means that your motor is more prone to knocking. Depending on the severity of the knocking/pre-detonation, you could destroy your motor.

Don't get me wrong -- you could easily skate by over the next few years and never get any knocking and never have a problem with two broken knock sensors, but you never know...
Yep...I'd replace 'em too. Didn't know where you were coming from on your first post! :o
Old 02-28-2005, 07:21 PM
Dugmole
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Mike.. Check your DIC for any codes. If you are or were having problems with the knock sensors you would have set
P0325, P0327, P0332. If those codes were not set I would just clean up the terminals.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:05 PM
0Vette Stripes
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dugmole
Mike.. Check your DIC for any codes. If you are or were having problems with the knock sensors you would have set
P0325, P0327, P0332. If those codes were not set I would just clean up the terminals.
Thanks Doug and debmwb!

-Mike
***BTW, I cannot check them now since I have pulled all the power cables. I will check them up after putting the headers and heads back.
I am very much sure that I have never seen these codes on mine.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:58 PM
We Make'm Faster
Intermediate

To clarify knock sensor operation, as answered above, they are there to eliminate spark knock. This is done by removing or adding timing as needed. This is even more critical with forced induction and tuning.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:41 AM
Byter
Racer

Originally Posted by We Make'm Faster
To clarify knock sensor operation, as answered above, they are there to eliminate spark knock. This is done by removing or adding timing as needed. This is even more critical with forced induction and tuning.
This is true. They operate at a certain frequency so that they don't kick off at any vibration. They're pretty cheap. I remember getting codes from one of mine and, upon inspection, found the rubber flange around the back sensor had come loose, thus covering the sensor in oil. Since, you're in there, you might as well replace them both.

Also, if you haven't done so, make sure you cover EVERYTHING, when cutting that little oil boss in you lifter valley for your new LS6 vally cover, very, very messy.

Get notified of new replies

To What are those knock sensors for?

Quick Reply: What are those knock sensors for?