C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just put in my order for a BIG Cartek 447CID and EXTRAS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 02:41 PM
jdetar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just put in my order for a BIG Cartek 447CID and EXTRAS!

I first want to say thank you Mike (STEALTH) for your time and help in discussing your buildup and experiences with Cartek. That was awesome of you to take the time to talk to me about everything. Definitely a true Corvette enthusiast and I will be honored to hopefully race along side you some day soon!

And definitely.. thank you very much Dave and Cartek in advance for building me this awesome car. I'm extremely excited and have the utmost confidence in you and Julio and the rest of the team for building yet another (hopefully!) record breaking NA A4 C5!

Now, for everyone wondering here's the specs we've decided upon so far:

Cartek 447 X engine CNC machined, Callies 4.125 stroke crank, Diamond custom light weight pistons, Diamond full floating wrist pins, Darton MDS 4.155 sleeves, Molly ring set, Eagle 3D stroker rods 6.125 long, Clevite main and rod bearings, Rollmaster double roller timing chain, Ported ZO6 oil pump, Custom ground cam, custom Cometic head gaskets.

UPGRADES:

Vararam VR-B2 CAI
GHL Bullets
Stage 5X Heads
Fast 90MM intake ported to Stage 5 heads
NW 90MM throttle body
Flowed and matched set of 30# injectors
Comp Cams Type R Lifters
Kook’s 1 7/8 headers with off road pipes
ASP under drive pulley machined for clearance
Performance Transmissions Trans
Vigilante custom torque converter (probably 3500, not sure yet)
3.73 gears installed with drivers side HD output shaft

Cartek is going to be doing tuning on another car this week to decide what heads/cam will ultimately be the best and then we will go that route. So I'm waiting on them to post the specs on the final heads/cam choice. End result, yet another fully streetable, NA, A4, 9s C5!!

I also just put in my order yesterday to house of wheels for some 17x9.5 and 18x10.5 Chrome Z06 motorsport wheels and 275/40R17 & 305/35R18 Nitto 555RII tires for the street. Now if I actually have enough money leftover when this is done I hope to get a CCW drag package for the strip.

I'll only be getting a Wolfe 6-point roll bar and 5 point harnesses for now as I don't want to do the full cage until I'm CONSISTENTLY into the 9s.

Expect to see more updates as I have them. Target ETC is 4-6 weeks!
Old 03-08-2005, 02:49 PM
BWP 5P
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

Hey....Mines an 03 E/B....maybe we should trade when you get it all done!

Man that sounds like it's gonna be a real BEAST

Good Luck and hope the wait doesn't kill ya
Old 03-08-2005, 02:49 PM
JakeFusion
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that sounds like it's gonna be a monster, and drivable too!

Can you ballpark the price for us?
Old 03-08-2005, 03:50 PM
marco383
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Good choice of a shop to build your monster. You'll have to have your grin surgically removed.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:02 PM
Phil97SVT
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a killer setup. The ONLY thing I would change is go with a set of LS7 heads and a custom sheetmetal intake. Those 2 mods are going to be worth their weight in gold on a big motor.
Phil
Old 03-08-2005, 04:03 PM
jdetar
Burning Brakes

BWP,

Haha.. I said the same thing when my car was delivered with some guy's Lingenfelter Corvette in it. But the driver wouldn't give me that car.

Jake,

Umm.. I'm kind of :o to share the exact cost of everything. But since they do list their engine package prices on their site I'll just say this is somewhere between 20-40K.

Marco,

Yeah. Cartek is a great bunch of guys. I haven't had the luxury of meeting them face to face and seeing the shop yet but I'm real excited to do so soon! Lots of good things were said about them by previous customers so I am definitely excited. Ahhh! It's going to be a dream come true!
Old 03-08-2005, 04:06 PM
jdetar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Phil97SVT
Sounds like a killer setup. The ONLY thing I would change is go with a set of LS7 heads and a custom sheetmetal intake. Those 2 mods are going to be worth their weight in gold on a big motor.
Phil
It's either going to be stage 5 all pro or ls6 heads ported. they're going to find out this week which one gives better results.. but they said they *THINK* it will be the all pro's by what they've seen so far. and as for intake the fast 90mm is producing the best results.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:35 PM
#001 2001 Z06
NCM, WSCC & SCC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Not a bad way to drop thirty large.

FYI, I would buy, stock 2002-2004 Z06 chrome wheels. They are about seven pounds lighter apiece than the others...The RII tires are great, almost perfect, imo.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:52 PM
Phil97SVT
Le Mans Master

I have researched the All-Pros and numerous other cylinder heads available for the LS1. What caught my eye about was the fact a box stock LS7 head they went almost 360cfm out of the box on a 4.125" bore. They also come with a larger 2.200" valve which is definitely needed on a big motor like your building. I would just hate to see your engine combo limited by the intake or cylinder head. Your building a nasty combo make sure you select all the right parts.
Phil
Old 03-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Congratulations! I would like to make one suggestion though. Since you are doing so much I would add the DTE right side shaft, billet pinion support and brace. Just a suggestion.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:07 PM
JerryL
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

jdetar,
I wouldn't worry about head limitations (Phil97SVT), Dave & Julio are experts. I'd be careful about the sheet metal intake if you ever want to run in the American Super Car Challenge (http://www.rollingthunderz.com/racerules.html) as they're prohibited. You're going to need the CCW drag package for sure. I picked up my 382 from Cartek on Saturday; I put about 100 miles on it today running the stock wheels and tires; first and second gears are just about useless for anything other than granny starts. You'll have a bunch more torque too. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:52 PM
SPEED DOG
Racer

Originally Posted by jdetar
I first want to say thank you Mike (STEALTH) for your time and help in discussing your buildup and experiences with Cartek. That was awesome of you to take the time to talk to me about everything. Definitely a true Corvette enthusiast and I will be honored to hopefully race along side you some day soon!

And definitely.. thank you very much Dave and Cartek in advance for building me this awesome car. I'm extremely excited and have the utmost confidence in you and Julio and the rest of the team for building yet another (hopefully!) record breaking NA A4 C5!

Now, for everyone wondering here's the specs we've decided upon so far:

Cartek 447 X engine CNC machined, Callies 4.125 stroke crank, Diamond custom light weight pistons, Diamond full floating wrist pins, Darton MDS 4.155 sleeves, Molly ring set, Eagle 3D stroker rods 6.125 long, Clevite main and rod bearings, Rollmaster double roller timing chain, Ported ZO6 oil pump, Custom ground cam, custom Cometic head gaskets.

UPGRADES:

Vararam VR-B2 CAI
GHL Bullets
Stage 5X Heads
Fast 90MM intake ported to Stage 5 heads
NW 90MM throttle body
Flowed and matched set of 30# injectors
Comp Cams Type R Lifters
Kook’s 1 7/8 headers with off road pipes
ASP under drive pulley machined for clearance
Performance Transmissions Trans
Vigilante custom torque converter (probably 3500, not sure yet)
3.73 gears installed with drivers side HD output shaft

Cartek is going to be doing tuning on another car this week to decide what heads/cam will ultimately be the best and then we will go that route. So I'm waiting on them to post the specs on the final heads/cam choice. End result, yet another fully streetable, NA, A4, 9s C5!!

I also just put in my order yesterday to house of wheels for some 17x9.5 and 18x10.5 Chrome Z06 motorsport wheels and 275/40R17 & 305/35R18 Nitto 555RII tires for the street. Now if I actually have enough money leftover when this is done I hope to get a CCW drag package for the strip.

I'll only be getting a Wolfe 6-point roll bar and 5 point harnesses for now as I don't want to do the full cage until I'm CONSISTENTLY into the 9s.

Expect to see more updates as I have them. Target ETC is 4-6 weeks!

I suspect that's my engine you're talking about. We should be at the "which head to use" stage right about now. I'm waiting with bated breath, as you can imagine.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:07 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Congrats on your purchase - you are going to have one hell of a ride.

Mark
Old 03-09-2005, 01:29 AM
jdetar
Burning Brakes

Speed dog,

I guess so then! Keep us posted with how it goes. I'm curious to see the results. Cartek is always advancing themselves.

Thanks everyone else for the input. I'll talk to Dave about the other drivetrain upgrades. He didn't mention them before so maybe they're not necessary for the kind of power I'm doing. Maybe on NOS but NA doesn't seem to break stuff as much.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:36 AM
blazeone
Safety Car

Sounds like it's going to be a killer keep us tuned in
Old 03-09-2005, 08:07 AM
SPEED DOG
Racer

Originally Posted by jdetar
Speed dog,

I guess so then! Keep us posted with how it goes. I'm curious to see the results. Cartek is always advancing themselves.

Thanks everyone else for the input. I'll talk to Dave about the other drivetrain upgrades. He didn't mention them before so maybe they're not necessary for the kind of power I'm doing. Maybe on NOS but NA doesn't seem to break stuff as much.
Will do; I'm certainly anxious to hear which head they'll go with. Dave and I had a lot of discussion about this; as of last talk the All Pro's were leading the way.

A word about goals: while I'm building a new motor, I'm reusing some parts from my prior setup. My engine will have the setup you outlined, but with Lg LT's and 3" stuff rather than Kooks. I'm also running an MN6 rather than an AT. Finally, I'm NOT a straight line guy, but an old IMSA road racer: I'm looking for a real strong street car that can win the odd stop light grand prix that I come accross, but that is very capable of running the twisties either on a track or a nice mountain road. Drag setups and road setups are slightly different and may influence our cam/head choices, though I'll obviously take any power I can get
Old 03-09-2005, 10:47 AM
monstermouse
Instructor

Looks like a great setup. One question: You will have 30# injectors on a 447 and I have 42# on a 427. Either yours are a little small or mine are a little big. Would be interested in your tuners thoughts on this issue. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Just put in my order for a BIG Cartek 447CID and EXTRAS!

Old 03-09-2005, 11:11 AM
jdetar
Burning Brakes

Speed dog,

Absolutely. Awesome to see you using your car for that. I wish I had tracks around here to do that sort of thing. If so I would be much more inclined to do that as that's more of what the Corvette was made for. Although I do plan on being pretty agressive with the street setup and possibly join in some local roadrace events every now and then. We're going to keep the cam profile reasonable enough where the car won't have to rough of an idle.

monstermouse,

Interesting! I can only assume yours are oversized or there is some other reason that I don't understand for doing that as I couldn't see why Cartek would suggest only 30# for this setup for me? How much power are you producing? I will have one of the guys post to this thread with some answers to cover the points mentioned. I pretty much let Cartek decide for me what was best to use for my goals as they're the experts. But from what I know an improperly tuned car will run lean on smaller injectors.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:54 PM
#001 2001 Z06
NCM, WSCC & SCC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

jdetar,
Cartek & MTI both use #30 SVO's/#36 Dephi's on their big motors. I have a set of both. The Delphi's being on my 430 motor with a Walbro 255 pump.
#001 2001 Z06
Old 03-09-2005, 06:00 PM
SPEED DOG
Racer

Originally Posted by monstermouse
Looks like a great setup. One question: You will have 30# injectors on a 447 and I have 42# on a 427. Either yours are a little small or mine are a little big. Would be interested in your tuners thoughts on this issue. Thanks.
Not sure if this was addressed to me or not. I've got RC performance matched, blueprinted 36# injectors. They are rated 36# at much lower fuel pressures than ours; they are more like 44+ at our rated pressures. None of the tuner's I've worked with thought they were inadequate. As things now stand we're going to go with those in the new setup, though I'd of course change them if Julio et al thought that was necessary.

Quick Reply: Just put in my order for a BIG Cartek 447CID and EXTRAS!