C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interface for sub question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 10:04 PM
babala65
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interface for sub question?

The guy at Best buy said that this will work for adding A sub to the factory Bose system, It allows you to hook up RCA plugs?

IEC AULOC adjustable line output converter 2-60 watts. Its made by IE INSTALL EDGE?
Can someone let me know if this is what I need before I open it up. Thanks
Old 03-11-2005, 12:15 AM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

The PAC adapter is the only thing I know that work, but that might also. Post this in the audio section, you'll get a faster response. Good luck
Old 03-11-2005, 12:25 AM
STA-BLK
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any adjustable line output adaptor will work.You have a secondary plug on the back of the radio which sends line level to the subs in the doors.This is where you will hook on to for signal.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:44 AM
10-42 Cop
Instructor

Location: Greenville, South Carolina Drive It Like You Stole It !!!
St. Jude Donor '05

I just went through this - DO NOT - I Repeat DO NOT let Best Buy, Tweeter, or Circuit City touch your car !!!!!!!!!!! They don't know what the hell they are doing.....Find a local shop that does High End cars for the local dealers. You don't need any special BS like that - Just an Amp and The sub and they will tap off the wire in the non amped speakers in the back....I just had mine done and it will drop the back glass out of the car....PM me if you have any questions....John

Last edited by 10-42 Cop; 03-11-2005 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:37 PM
2KVetteMan
Melting Slicks

I agree hi end shops are the best way to go. I bet if you just get a quote from a stereo shop that specializes in after market stuff they will tell you a different story.

Best Buy, Circuit City will screw your car up. I heard many story's.

Cheers!!
Old 03-11-2005, 10:27 PM
morepower
Instructor

I used the Soundgate LOCB.2 signal converter. Look it up on the web. Hooked it up by splicing into wires attached to the sound processor under the dash. Forget exactly how. Didn't realize there was a plug on the back of the radio. Oh well.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:41 AM
babala65
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the replys. I plan on doing the install myself no one and I mean no one has ever worked on my car besides the bypass recall I had done at the dealer.
I was not aware of the "audio section" where is it at? As far as the plug behind the radio are you saying I don't need the interface?
John, I was thinking the same thing as far as tapping one of the rear speakers for A signal, and save me the hassle of running the wire behind the radio is this how your set up is?

Thanks Dan

Last edited by babala65; 03-12-2005 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:58 AM
babala65
Burning Brakes

I just found this(Thanks "Robs C5"), I trying to find out if this is the same type of interface that I have? Mine was only $22.99?

Logjam Electronics sells it for $89.95. (www.logjamelectronics.com) (765.644.1251).

Here is what the LOCB.2 does:
"The Soundgate LOCB.2 Bose Line Output Converter is the audiophile's choice for adding amplifiers to factory Bose systems, Ford Premium Sound Systems, Lexus and Toyota differential systems - almost any factory amplified system. This 2-channel line output converter is designed to connect to the pre-amp level leads of the factory system before the amplifier. The LOCB.2 is a fully active device and can accept input signals from 350mV to almost 6Volts and give you 2.5 Volts RMS output. No transformers, potentiometers, or power resistors. Flat from 17 Hz to 23 KHz. High voltage output, high input impedance."

On the Bose system on my 2004 Coupe, the factory radio outputs to the Bose Signal Processor which then outputs to the amplified sub speakers in the doors. I located the Bose Signal Processor under the dash just over the gas pedal. I connected the LOCB.2 inputs to the Bose Signal Processor outputs for the Sub Left & Right channels. I then connected the LOCB.2 outputs to my new Bazooka tube amplifier inputs.

I have the shop manual for my 04 vette and was able to locate the proper wires from the Bose Signal Processor. Not sure if the wires are the same for other model years. I can tell you the color of the wires but I would highly recommend you see if the Chevy dealer will look it up for you car instead.

The LOCB.2 also requires 12vdc +/-. I tapped into the power wires for the Bose Signal Processor also.

This mod takes a little bit of study and work. You have to remove the interior center console and lower front panels of the driver side dash. Search the forum for shifter installation instructions. Everything comes appart nicely and goes back together nicely. The shop manual really helps.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:12 AM
babala65
Burning Brakes

This is what I have (minus the rustang) I think this should work for me with tapping the rear speakers.

The Adapter
I picked up this adapter from Best Buy for like $25. It's an "Install Edge IEC AULOC." I asked the guy in the audio department for a RCA conversion box for a Mach 460 system and this is what he gave me. Works like a charm. Also, pick up some good quality RCA cables while you are there. 6 feet is enough.

Where to mount the adapter
This is the fun part. It is pretty hard to take pictures in the trunk, but I did the best I could. I mounted the RCA box with 3M double sided foam tape. That stuff is better than duct tape, in my opinion. The first picture shows the trunk looking in from the back of the car. The red circle shows where you need to be working. The best way to get access to that area is the fold down the seats and slide in from the interior of the car. The next picture shows the RCA adapter and the Mach 460 Wiring harness that it plugs in to. If you can't quite figure it out, get in your trunk and take a look, and the location of everything will make sense.

Wiring it all up
Wiring the RCA adapter is pretty simple. The gray plug you see in the picture above is the connection for the two bigger speakers in the Mach 460 unit in the back of your car. We simply tap into that signal and use the RCA adapter to send it to your amp. If you are lying on your back looking up at the plug, plug the two grey leads into the two holes that are closest to you. I simple striped the ends of the leads and doubled them over, then slid them into the back of the plug. They make contact with the wires inside, and if you do it right, they wont come out. Repeat for the set of two white wires for the plugs above that. Just make sure that you wire the negative and positive wires for each set the same. Oh yeah, those brown wires are ground wires, and apparently they don't need to be attached to anything (according to the instructions that came with the adapter).

All done!
From here you just need to plug the RCA cable into the RCA box, then in to your amp. Wire up the amp, re-attach your negative cable on your battery, and fire it up! If you need any help, I'm rSm00th on MW and rSm00th on AIM. Hit me up if you need anything else. Good luck!
Old 03-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Cool

Get notified of new replies

To Interface for sub question?

Quick Reply: Interface for sub question?