C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum flywheel: advantages & disadvantages?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 07:20 PM
AmericanPie
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Aluminum flywheel: advantages & disadvantages?

I see where some tuners offer a choice of a steel or aluminum flywheel with their engine packages. I know an aluminum one allows the engine to spin up faster with better overall response and will help give a few extra HP, but it also requires learning a slightly different technique when starting from a standstill. Are there any other, more serious DISadvantages to running one on the street?
Old 03-24-2005, 07:27 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

You will feel a little more vibration from the engine as it runs...

VR
Old 03-25-2005, 06:25 AM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll get noticbly better throttle response. You'll probably also have a sound comming from you motor that sounds like a cement truck, no kidding.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:10 AM
PHPD7102
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

I have one and I deff notice my motor rev's up faster. I dont notice any more vibration than with a steel wheel and noise is comparable as well.

I was told by a couple of old timer 1/4 mile guys that steel is better for launching stick cars because when you drop the clutch the heavier wheel has more inertia........not sure if it really makes a difference just repeating them.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:01 AM
PaPaChoc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PHPD7102
I have one and I deff notice my motor rev's up faster. I dont notice any more vibration than with a steel wheel and noise is comparable as well.

I was told by a couple of old timer 1/4 mile guys that steel is better for launching stick cars because when you drop the clutch the heavier wheel has more inertia........not sure if it really makes a difference just repeating them.
I’ve been out of racing for years but when I was running a 331 SB I had a 40 lb wheel.. That was the trick set-up for launching at 6500 to 7000RPM. It helped to keep the car from bogging.
My $.02
Old 03-25-2005, 10:00 AM
Jeff Jeff
Burning Brakes

Advantages: Engine revs quicker, making it easier to match revs when downshifting. I have not noticed any differences in launching or driving techniques. If you run slicks and launch at RPM's you may notice it more.

Disadvantages: Shifting at high rpms the engine has a tendency to over-rev easier. The stock balance on LS1's from the factory is not the greatest, so you may experience more vibration.

If you do replace the flywheel, make sure to have it balanced to the old flywheel/clutch assembly. Some engines are externally balanced with weights on the flywheel.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:16 AM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DRKNGHT
You'll get noticbly better throttle response. You'll probably also have a sound comming from you motor that sounds like a cement truck, no kidding.
I have the Fidanza unit and I don't hear any excess noise. Perhaps you are referring to the c4's with the OEM dual mass flywheel, and when you change it then you get the sound?

As for drag racing, I saw no benefit. I'm posting the same numbers ET and MPH as before, although I havent compared the 330' times. It does take a different technique to launch.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:28 AM
wango tango
Pro

It is definitely noisier inside the car. You can hear it most when its in neutral and the car is idling with the clutch out. Press the clutch in, and it goes away.

It is definitely trickier to drive, at times I wish I still had the heavier one.

Good for engine braking too, this hasn't been mentioned I don't think. Road Racers like a lot. Drag don't.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:13 AM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I like my fidanza almumn flywheel. it works great for autocrossing/roadracing. But I don't know if it would help for drag racing.

The good: Rev quicker. Faster mid range.

The Bad: (for me) teh clutch chatters when cold.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:38 PM
Coc5
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Spec stage 4 aluminum flywheel setup here. The ONLY issue I have is the engine does take a little more throttle from a start to move the car smoothly so it doesn't hesitate.. As for noise and other. Nothing.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:09 PM
C54DAZ
Instructor

spec II w/ Fidanza Aluminum flywheel and I Love it.. Revs quicker seems more responsive. No noise either. I would do it if your doing a new clutch. Make sure you have them balanced together.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:05 AM
rodknock
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have Luk Pro Gold with aluminum flywheel and I don't notice any noise,just it seems to rev up a bit faster.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:17 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Spec II with Fidanza, has survived heads/cam for 10,000 miles, lots of 1/4 mile trips. Works great, no noise, chatter gone after about 6-700 miles. Relearn your low throttle leaves by adding 200 rpm, and it's smooth sailing. AND NO MORE LAZY CLUTCH PEDAL.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:21 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great mod it took me ten seconds to adjust.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Rob'sC5
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '05

I have alittle chatter but nothing annoying. The revs do come up alot faster. Made a few 1/4 and 1/8 passes and seems to work pretty well for me

Get notified of new replies

To Aluminum flywheel: advantages & disadvantages?

Quick Reply: Aluminum flywheel: advantages & disadvantages?