C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new optima red top dead after sitting a couple months?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 08:40 AM
ital976
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new optima red top dead after sitting a couple months?

I just bought a new optima red top for my 2000 coupe like a month before I put it into storage. I was going to put a battery tender on it but all the gm batteries I had previously, all you had to do was put a small matinence charge in the spring but it still would have juice. I went out to get inside last night and the optima is completely dead. Is this normal for a vette to have that much draw or do I have a bad optima? Thanks for your advice. I couldn't sleep all night thinking about my baby being in trouble with her battery.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:22 AM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

The battery could be defective, the charger might not have been suppling charge or there was more load on the battery than the charger was providing. From prior postings new batteries were given to owners so take it back to the store and demand a new one. Check the current draw after you install a new battery, it should be about 20ma after two minutes with the hood light off. If the rest current is ok then check the charger's output.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:35 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

The C5 does require juice when it is sitting in storage. I try to fire mine up every 2 weeks or so even when I have a brand new battery.

VR
Old 03-31-2005, 06:57 PM
RoHo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even with an Optima you will need a battery tender if you don't drive it often, Covettes have quit a few electrical devices on them. Beside they say with a battery tender it will extend the life of the battery by years so its a win / win situation.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:19 PM
Dustie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Battery tender....

Old 03-31-2005, 08:18 PM
rodknock
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a battery tender on my Redtop,car sat for about 2 months when I went to start it dead! When I brought it back to Interstate dealer they refused to exchange it even though it was only 5 months old, eventually after going back and fourth with battery dealer I got a new one. I sold it and put a Delco back in.

Get notified of new replies

To new optima red top dead after sitting a couple months?

Quick Reply: new optima red top dead after sitting a couple months?