C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM and Welding

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 04:33 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Default PCM and Welding

Has anyone experienced a problem with having something welded on your car and it affecting the PCM??

I was reading this on another site about disconnecting the PCM if any welding needs to be done that disconnecting the battery was not sufficient.

Any experiences??
Old 04-02-2005, 05:53 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a large truck ( no computer) and forgot to disconnect the battery and started to smell plastic. It was the wiring harness by the rear tailights. Disconnect it! Not sure if you need to disconnect the computer but you better find out for sure.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:02 AM
Wah
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I know with vehicles w/o computer, the battery needs to be disconnected. This is for electric welder, the acethylene welder should not affect anything electronics.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:21 PM
SpeedyZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just do a LOT of welding and plasma cutting on a Z06 rear with no problems. I didn't unhook anything and it still starts and runs fine. I think the key to welding on a vehicle it to make sure your welder ground is attached to what you are welding on and close to where your welding. Don't clamp your welder ground on the vehicle frame when your welding the exhaust. Don't clamp your welder ground to the engine when welding on the frame. Clamp your ground to what your welding and you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 04-04-2005, 12:29 AM
Scubanme
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpeedyZ
I just do a LOT of welding and plasma cutting on a Z06 rear with no problems. I didn't unhook anything and it still starts and runs fine. I think the key to welding on a vehicle it to make sure your welder ground is attached to what you are welding on and close to where your welding. Don't clamp your welder ground on the vehicle frame when your welding the exhaust. Don't clamp your welder ground to the engine when welding on the frame. Clamp your ground to what your welding and you shouldn't have any problems.

I did some MIG welding myself on my exhaust and it has no issues at all
Old 04-04-2005, 01:42 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
Has anyone experienced a problem with having something welded on your car and it affecting the PCM??

I was reading this on another site about disconnecting the PCM if any welding needs to be done that disconnecting the battery was not sufficient.

Any experiences??
If not grounded properly any of the electronics are at risk of electrical overstress. By pulling the battery ground strap you can keep this from happening. A friend took his Mercedes to a relative's shop for some welding work. When he got it back the radio and another electronic part no longer functioned.
Bill
Old 04-04-2005, 06:26 AM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

You should definitely disconnect the battery ground when welding. You shouldn't have to disconnect the actual pcm, but I would wait 30 minutes or so after the battery disconnect to make sure the backup power to the pcm is shut down.

Get notified of new replies

To PCM and Welding

Quick Reply: PCM and Welding