C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How difficult to change fuel filter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 06:10 PM
mowrey96
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How difficult to change fuel filter?

Can it been done at home? Where is it? Any info would be appreciated...
Old 04-05-2005, 07:27 PM
Macleod
Heel & Toe

it's easy to change only takes about 5 mins once you get the car lifted enough to slide under. located right next to the trany on the driver side. be sure to have a drain pan handy to catch the fuel and rap a shop rag around the connection before pulling it apart to stop fuel from spraying all over.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Leo3
Advanced

Originally Posted by mowrey96
Can it been done at home? Where is it? Any info would be appreciated...
Check out in Tech Tips, the link is below ---Good Luck--

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=123&TopicID=1

By the way if you Vette is is a Mid year 2003 or older the gas filter is in the Gas Tank and you cannot change it, in your glove box has FFS then the filter is in the Gas Tank.

Hope This helps.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:54 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

So then how does the filter get changed on mid year 03 and o4's?
Old 04-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Leo3
Advanced

Default 2003-2004 fuel filter

Originally Posted by Shylor
So then how does the filter get changed on mid year 03 and o4's?
You may not like what I have found out so far!

From the information that I have found out for 2003 Vin #111,000 and after have the FFS system, that put the fuel filter in the gas tank and that it was required by The EPA. The filter is a part of the fuel sending unit and would have to be done by the Dealership for a large amount for both the parts & labor. It is import to note however, if you dont get comtaminate gas, it is suppost to last for ~100.000 miles. People on this forum also surgest that you put in "Techron" every 3,000 miles to help out the fuel injectors & the fuel filter. I have to see if I still have diagrams of were the fuel filter is in the gas tank. So that all I have right now - hopefully I will find all the information that was here on the forum. Good Luck & if you find infromation other that what I just put in this tread "PLEASE" post it.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Wah
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I highly doubt that any fuel injector/system cleaner can clean out whatever is trapped by the fuel filter.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:55 PM
Leo3
Advanced

Default fuel filters on late 2003 & up

Originally Posted by Wah
I highly doubt that any fuel injector/system cleaner can clean out whatever is trapped by the fuel filter.
I have to agree that "Techron" may not clean out whatever is trapped by the fuel filter (if they are in a solid state) but on the other hand, maybe it can?

But I'am not an expert on the subject. I did ask what would help the fuel system. Please read the response that I recived from a forum member who I believe is more knowledgeble than I am, and is credible.I have a 2003 mid year over Vin #111,000 and was worried about the fuel filter being in the Left gas tank.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/priv...pm&pmid=684741

I respect all the the people on the forum who try to help each other out, and know that for what it worth everyone does that.

"OK" from the post "How do you change the fuel filter on 2003 with FFS"
Thank You in advace.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:05 PM
mowrey96
Racer

Originally Posted by Leo3
Check out in Tech Tips, the link is below ---Good Luck--

https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=123&TopicID=1

By the way if you Vette is is a Mid year 2003 or older the gas filter is in the Gas Tank and you cannot change it, in your glove box has FFS then the filter is in the Gas Tank.

Hope This helps.
Do you mean mid 2003 or newer, as in up to 2004? Or do you mean mid 2003 and earlier--back to 97?
Old 04-06-2005, 08:19 PM
JTS97Z28
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cant mean the older ones I was under my 99 the other dsy and the fuel filter was sitting there clear as day next to the tranny on drivers side as mentioned.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:26 PM
Leo3
Advanced

Default mid year 2003 & after fuel filters

Originally Posted by mowrey96
Do you mean mid 2003 or newer, as in up to 2004? Or do you mean mid 2003 and earlier--back to 97?
I have been told that mid year 2003 (Vin #111,000 and after) have the FFS, have the fuel filters in the left gas tank. I do not know if 2004 and after have the same system, in fact one tread said even thought you have the FFS it may not be the same as 2004 & 2005. I would like to know what I have for a system ,if it was changed on the 2004 & after.In the past I have had problems with fuel filters on previous Corvettes. because the EPA got in the act we all must pay. Oh well we will find out soon, maybe someone will have information that will be helpfull. For all the people that do not have higher octane than 91 will find out sooner, I have 93 octane in Mass. an thats all that I will put in.

Chek out this tread

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1027908

Last edited by Leo3; 04-06-2005 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Adding more information
Old 04-06-2005, 10:44 PM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

So, I should plan to remove that sumbeotch at 100,000 and figure out a way to place a different filter somewhere more reachable?

What crap!

Jim K
Old 04-07-2005, 08:05 AM
Leo3
Advanced

Originally Posted by Corpsvette
So, I should plan to remove that sumbeotch at 100,000 and figure out a way to place a different filter somewhere more reachable?

What crap!

Jim K
More Infor:
2003 Corvette-Cadillac XLR new fuel tank system

This report is from the March 2004 GM Techlink publication

Partway through model year 2003, a new fuel tank system was introduced on the Corvette. This system continues with slight differences in the 2004 Corvette and Cadillac XLR.
For 2003 Corvettes only, this system was designated by RPO code FFS. However, this name has been unofficially applied to all vehicles with the new system.

ADVANTAGES AND FEATURES
The new fuel tank system was designed to accommodate future LEV 2 emission requirements. This was accomplished by moving as many components and fuel lines as possible inside the fuel tanks, to minimize hydrocarbon emissions. A flexible metal crossover hose assembly replaces the former rubber one, because the permeable rubber allowed a small amount of hydrocarbon to pass through.
The redesign also includes more isolation and noise control for the electric fuel pump, which now has greater flow capacity to supply higher output engines.
On the XLR only, a speed control module slows the fuel pump when the engine is idling to further control pump noise.

COMPONENT LAYOUT
Two fuel tanks are used, and they’re joined by crossover plumbing. The left side (driver side) tank is considered the primary, and the right side (passenger side) is secondary.
Each tank contains a sensor module, which includes a float and resistor card.
On the left side, the sender module includes a reservoir, containing the turbine fuel pump. There’s also a primary fuel pressure regulator and a venturi pump. The left tank is also supplied by the fuel fill hose, and has a rollover vent valve.
On the right side, the sender module contains a secondary fuel pressure regulator and a siphon jet pump. There is also a fill-limiting valve FLVV.

OPERATION
When the fuel tanks are filled, fuel first fills the left tank. As the fuel rises to the level of the crossover, fuel flows into the right tank. As fuel occupies the interconnected tanks, air is forced to vent from the tanks, through the FLVV in the right tank. When both tanks are full, the FLVV float in the right tank closes, preventing fuel from entering the vent system. This also causes fuel to back up in the fill hose, causing the gas pump nozzle to shut off.
When the engine is running, the turbine fuel pump in the left tank pressurizes the fuel fee pipe. The entire fuel supply system, from the pump to the injectors, is pressurized. The turbine pump creates more pressure and more fuel flow than the engine needs. Excess pressure and excess fuel is allowed to bleed back into the left tank by the primary fuel pressure regulator within the tank.
The pressure regulator is in the fuel tank, not on the fuel rail on the engine. This type of fuel system is called returnless, or demand. This means that excess fuel is diverted before it leaves the tank, instead of passing through the fuel rail before being diverted. The result is that hot fuel is not constantly returning from the engine compartment, so the fuel in the tank stays cooler, improving evaporative emissions.
The majority of the pressurized fuel is directed through the filter and on to the fuel feed pipe to the engine, where it is injected into the cylinders for combustion.
Some of the pressurized fuel is directed through a feed pipe inside the crossover hose, to a siphon jet pump in the right tank. The jet pump relies on the venturi effect to use pressurized fuel to draw additional fuel from the tank. The combined fuel then flows from the right tank to the left tank, through a return pipe inside the crossover hose. The jet pump is able to move enough fuel to ensure that all of the fuel in the right tank is consumed before the level in the left tank begins to drop.
The return tube in the left tank has an anti-siphon hole, so the fuel in the left tank does not siphon back to the right side when the vehicle is shut down.
Some of the pressurized fuel is directed to a venturi pump in the left tank. This pump uses fuel flow to siphon fuel from the main tank into the reservoir, to keep the turbine pump supplied with fuel at all times. As the left tank fuel level drops, the venturi pump scavenges all of the remaining fuel into the reservoir, regardless of the vehicle’s attitude.
When the engine is shut off and the turbine pump stops, a reverse flow check valve maintains pressure in the system to ensure rapid pressure buildup during the next startup cycle.

OPERATION OF FUEL LEVEL GAUGE
When the fuel system is operating as designed, starting with both tanks full, the left tank will remain full until the right tank is depleted. Then the left tank will be emptied.
Each fuel tank has its own sensor. The PCM supplies a reference of 5 volts to the two sensors. Each sensor operates across a range from full (2.5 volts) to empty (0.7 volts). The PCM monitors the fuel level sensor voltages and calculates how much fuel is in the two tanks. The readout of the IP fuel level gauge is a result of this calculation.

The EPA just helping you out for a better enviorment.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:08 AM
MIKE-C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08
Default filter

Make sure you drive the car to almost empty, its behind driver seat by tranny

easy to change
Old 04-07-2005, 09:26 AM
Special K
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Leo3
You may not like what I have found out so far!

From the information that I have found out for 2003 Vin #111,000 and after have the FFS system
Just look at the codes in the glove box. FFS will be listed if it's in the tank. There is also info on how to change it in the forum. Do an advanced search. You do not have to drop the tank completely.

Bob
Old 04-07-2005, 10:46 AM
2003vert
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Korreck
Just look at the codes in the glove box. FFS will be listed if it's in the tank. There is also info on how to change it in the forum. Do an advanced search. You do not have to drop the tank completely.

Bob
The glove box has everything you ever wanted to know , except how to pick up chicks,, guess that is up to the driver.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:52 PM
Leo3
Advanced

Originally Posted by Korreck

Bob
Bob,
Thank You!!!!!!
I did the search and what a lot good information, The advanced search worked very well, most of the time the seach function did not work that well. Great information.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Special K
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 2003vert
The glove box has everything you ever wanted to know , except how to pick up chicks,, guess that is up to the driver.
Thanks for the laugh. You need a chick magnet for that, which you already have. You must not be cruising enough.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To How difficult to change fuel filter?

Quick Reply: How difficult to change fuel filter?