C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Dyno tuner in Orange County, CA

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Y2k Vette Pilot
Racer

Location: Coastal Sektor, Southern Province, Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need Dyno tuner in Orange County, CA

Can anyone recommend a Dyno Tuner in Southern CA..specifically in the Southbay or Orange County areas?
Old 04-17-2005, 01:15 PM
new vetter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call A&A and ask for Charlie.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:16 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

call A&A corvette, the only place in southern california, but definitely a excellent tuner
Old 04-17-2005, 02:15 PM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by new vetter
Call A&A and ask for Charlie.
I thought Charlie was at LAPD!!
Old 04-17-2005, 02:43 PM
new vetter
Pro

Originally Posted by wallstAL
I thought Charlie was at LAPD!!

Not no more....
Old 04-17-2005, 02:54 PM
donnyonee
Pro

whos doing lapds tune now?
why and when did he change?

Last edited by donnyonee; 04-25-2005 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:54 PM
timf1954
Instructor

I'm in Mission Viejo and I'm traveling up to A&A (Oxnard) tomorrow for some light mods and a dyno tune. It's a long haul, hopefully it will be well worth it. One guy posted last week he travelled all the way from Arizona to A&A.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:24 AM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

I feel that between Charlie and I, we pretty much have the tuning covered in the So Cal area.
We are both capable tuners and on some of the tough ones we really have to bounce ideas off one another. It's kind of like tag team tuning! We really do try to get the most out of every car. Driveabilty is just as important to us as big dyno numbers.
Case in point. Both of us worked on a Magnuson car with alky injection on Saturday. The customer had done the install himself. We both spent about 5 hours on the car before deciding it had a bad controller. We ran outside vacuum lines to the box ( just in case the lines under the dash were restricted) and a gauge to see just what the box was reading. Turns out that the controller was turning the alcohol on before it actually saw boost. We took the whole unit out for the customer so he could send it back for warranty repair. When he gets it back in, we'll tune it again at no charge.
Besides the actual PCM tuning, we spend the necessary time to make sure everything is mechanically sound.

A&A CORVETTE
477 LAMBERT ST
OXNARD CA 93036
WWW.AACorvette.com

A&A CORVETTE SUPERCHARGER SYSTEMS
HOME OF THE WORLDS FIRST
CENTRIFUGALLY SUPERCHARGED C7

SUPERIOR ENGINEERING- SUPERIOR POWER
SUPERIOR PRICING- SUPERIOR CUSTOMER SUPPORT

Andy@AACorvette.com 805- 278 4107
Old 04-18-2005, 01:30 AM
Roofless
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I'm the guy from AZ whose car Andy and Charlie tuned. All I can say is that was the best 1200 miles (round trip) that I ever drove. My car is so strong tht it is almost scary now, but the best part of the trip as far as I'm concerned is the way I was treated by both Andy and Charlie. They just can't be beat their concern for your car is unbelieveable.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:46 AM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by donnyonee
whos doing lapds tune now?
why and when did he change?

Originally Posted by new vetter
Not no more....

You blink and everthing changes.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:14 AM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

Then don't blink.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:45 AM
Y2k Vette Pilot
Racer

Location: Coastal Sektor, Southern Province, Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Andy@AandACorvette
I feel that between Charlie and I, we pretty much have the tuning covered in the So Cal area.
We are both capable tuners and on some of the tough ones we really have to bounce ideas off one another. It's kind of like tag team tuning! We really do try to get the most out of every car. Driveabilty is just as important to us as big dyno numbers.
Case in point. Both of us worked on a Magnuson car with alky injection on Saturday. The customer had done the install himself. We both spent about 5 hours on the car before deciding it had a bad controller. We ran outside vacuum lines to the box ( just in case the lines under the dash were restricted) and a gauge to see just what the box was reading. Turns out that the controller was turning the alcohol on before it actually saw boost. We took the whole unit out for the customer so he could send it back for warranty repair. When he gets it back in, we'll tune it again at no charge.
Besides the actual PCM tuning, we spend the necessary time to make sure everything is mechanically sound.
AARRGGHHH!!! I wish you guys would open a satellite operation closer to me! Looks like I'll have to make an appointment and play hooky from the office!
Old 04-18-2005, 11:50 AM
Paras
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2k Vette Pilot
AARRGGHHH!!! I wish you guys would open a satellite operation closer to me! Looks like I'll have to make an appointment and play hooky from the office!
Yeah, I'm sure I could've saved some grief on my suspension installation if you guys were further south!
Old 04-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Paradox
Cruising

Beware Guys
Dyno tuning for peak numbers is BS. The common practice is to tweak your tune at WOT in 4th gear. This is just a snapshot of what your car is doing. It's done to convince you that mods are worth more hp than is really the case. Very often, as was in my case, I lost torque and HP everywhere else. I suggest anyone thinking about tuning borrow or buy a good scanning software and become educated in how all the parameters work together.
I thought my car was running better because I had a dyno printout saying so. Scanning software showed a whole other story.
The car had way too much timing creating over 450 knocks in one pass. 850 misfires, way to rich down low, lean on top and not the least was the TM was turned OFF My mileage went from 31 to about 22mpg. Idle often hunted. I was plagued with the low effeciency codes. You can't hear the knocks and misfires like in the old days.
My car is all better now thanks to Team ZR1

Last edited by Paradox; 04-18-2005 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:53 PM
new vetter
Pro

Originally Posted by Paradox
Beware Guys
Dyno tuning for peak numbers is BS. The common practice is to tweak your tune at WOT in 4th gear. This is just a snapshot of what your car is doing. It's done to convince you that mods are worth more hp than is really the case. Very often, as was in my case, I lost torque and HP everywhere else. I suggest anyone thinking about tuning borrow or buy a good scanning software and become educated in how all the parameters work together.
I thought my car was running better because I had a dyno printout saying so. Scanning software showed a whole other story.
The car had way too much timing creating over 450 knocks in one pass. 850 misfires, way to rich down low, lean on top and not the least was the TM was turned OFF My mileage went from 31 to about 22mpg. Idle often hunted. I was plagued with the low effeciency codes. You can't hear the knocks and misfires like in the old days.
Charlie did my original tune. My story and others is why Charlie isn't at LAPD anymore. He was terminated.

You seem to have the inside track when it comes to Charlie and LAPD's history. Please share........
Old 04-18-2005, 06:08 PM
Harley99
Racer

The car Andy is referring to is mine, and all I have to say is they have spent more time on my car then I would have ever expect any other shop to do. Both Andy and Charlie are top notch in my book and I don’t care what anyone else says. I will take my car back to them because of the service and knowledge that they have.

And what ever reason Charlie left LAPD for is between Charlie and LAPD in my book… by posting **** about him is just childish. Charlie has tuned my car 3 different times and always has done a good job.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:12 PM
VLVETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Paradox
Beware Guys
Charlie did my original tune. My story and others is why Charlie isn't at LAPD anymore. He was terminated.
Charlie did my tune after I did the 2.73 to 3.42 rearend swap and put a Vararam on. My car has thrown no codes at all. Infact my MPGs has increased 2 mpg since the tune. Also my car was tuned at WOT and at partial throttle in "3rd" gear that is the 1:1 in the auto and. And the gear it is suppose to be dynoed in. My dyno print out doesn't just show the numbers at WOT but from 0 to WOT. I had a before scan and after done and you could see an improvement in more than just power. The car is very drivable around town and shifts very smoothly. When I punch it it gets up and scoots shifts on the mark firm but not harsh. I asked Charlie if he had turned off the torque management and he told me no. But he did adjust diffrent parmeters in the tranny.
Oh and by the way I had this done at LAPD when Charlie was doing tunes there. That's where you have your work done isn't it?
So far as being "terminated"That's your story and who are the others? It's my understanding Charlie is a free agent who tunes cars at more than one place. He doesn't really work for anybody but himself. I could be wrong and it's none of my business but why fire one of the best known tuners in Southern Cal?

Last edited by VLVETTE; 04-18-2005 at 11:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Dyno tuner in Orange County, CA

Old 04-18-2005, 10:28 PM
KapUSMC
Burning Brakes

I usually try and stay out of the tuner bashing posts... But this one hit close to home. I have several stories dealing with A&A Corvette, and the common theme in all of them is OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER SERVICE. The customer service at A&A rivals that of any of any store, shop, or buisness I have been to. Thats pretty amazing when considering they are one of the few in the area that does what they do. When I did my H/C Andy and Charlie both worked on the tune, and I couldn't be happier with the driveability despite being a 228/232 113 lsa cam in an almost daily driver. Andy and Melissa have gone out on SMCR's with the corvette forum community, they went to Famaso for a private track rental with us, etc... They don't just stand behind their work, they truly are a part of the Vette community. As long as I live in SoCal, Andy will have my buisness.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:31 PM
KapUSMC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VLVETTE
It's my understanding Charlie is a free agent who tunes cars at more than one place. He doesn't really work for anybody but himself.
I think when Charlie worked on my tune at A&A it was around Sept, so Im pretty sure this isn't a recent change.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:40 PM
VLVETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KapUSMC
I think when Charlie worked on my tune at A&A it was around Sept, so Im pretty sure this isn't a recent change.
My work was done @ LAPD in 1-2005 and he told me at that time he did tunes at A&A also. I should say that LAPD did me a great job and at a very good price.

Last edited by VLVETTE; 04-18-2005 at 10:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Dyno tuner in Orange County, CA