C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interest in a 17" M&H Cheater slick?? (10" footprint)

Old 04-19-2005, 03:26 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Interest in a 17" M&H Cheater slick?? (10" footprint)

Hey Guys...

I'm deep in tire mode right now (investigating options for lighter front runners in another thread).

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...187&forum_id=1

In speaking with John @ M&H Tires (real good guy), he mentioned to me that they will soon be producing new speed rated front runners (not trailer tires, vintage tires, etc) in both 16" and 17" sizes. Thats big for guys that have larger rotor/caliper combinations. According to John, the new front runners are a few months away....he has a waiting list going currently for all who are interested.

I'm getting a little off topic however....in my discussion of front tires I mentioned to John that it's a shame that M&H has not produced a cheater slick (like the ET Street) in a 17" version....currently they only have 16" cheater slicks spec'ed out like so:

(i) 26/11.5-16LT

DOT Certified - Wrinkle Wall

Tube Type

Tread Width: 10.0"
Section Width: 11.8"
Diameter: 26.0"
Circumference: 82.0"
Rim Size: 10.0"
Code: MHD-03
Compound Type: HB-11

Designed For Dry Pavement Racing Only

**(NOTE) TIRES ARE ONLY SOLD AS PAIRS. YOU MUST PUT AT LEAST 2 IN THE QUANTITY BOX.**
Product Name Quantity Price Quantity Type
(i) 26/11.5-16LT $ 156.98 Each

Bottom line is that John assured me if enough interest was generated (30 or so people), the would probably use the tire above to generate the same in a 17" version. I like the M&H for a few reasons....One...their compound is more street user friendly (not as soft as the ET Street), but works as well if not better when properly heated at the track. Two....I've been hearing glowing reports lately from all those that have been using them, and three, I don't know about you guys, but I always wished my 26" ET Streets were a little wider (they only have a 9" footprint)....even on my Z06 17 X 9.5 " rim, they appear to be a little "small" when mounted. The one inch wider M&H would look killer, fit the rim better, and the wider contact patch coupled with the different compound should certainly add up to some better 60 foots.

John @ M&H welcomes your calls and is looking for indications of interest regarding this product. Personally, considering how many 17" ET Streets, and ET Street Radials are probably being sold already, I think its a no brainer, but a little coaxing from all of us here on the forum might be the straw that broke the camels back....

C'mon M&H.....Lets make it happen!!!

John's phone is (661)324-4773

Thanks,
Tony Mamo
Old 04-19-2005, 04:54 PM
Birdie2000
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be all over a 17" cheater slick if they made it 28" tall. They were supposed to be making a 28" drag radial for a 17" rim, but they were on backorder forever and now all references have been removed. I was kind of irritated by that, I ended up having to go to a 28" nitto street tire for a 17" rim, only other company that made one, but has no traction like a drag radial or cheater slick would.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interest in a 17" M&H Cheater slick?? (10" footprint)