C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

passenger side window problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 10:26 PM
go:stingray
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default passenger side window problem

MY window on the passenger side quit working.I pulled the panel off and checked the control module.When I touch the window down switch I can here the relay kick in,but the window will not go down.
I put a meter on the two prongs at the window motor and it read .8
ohms resistance.Not sure if this is good or bad? I tried hooking a 9volt
power supply to the window motor,to see if I could get the window to
move at all,No Luck..Anyone have problems with their powerwindows?
Any good tech. articles on how to work on these windows, and how
to trouble shoot? This problem is with my 99 c5 conv.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:12 AM
DocAcumen
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too would like some input on this! I have not checked anything on my as you seem to have.
But, my Passanger side widow is the same, on a 2000 FRC. It worked one night when I had to roll it down to talk to a LEO, then about two days later I tried it, and NADA! At night with lights on you can see the lights dim, AKA on the arm rest switch, trying it from either side. But, the window does not move.

HELP US PLEASE! As I know the cost at a dealer will be way more than it worth!!

God Speed! Doc....
Old 05-18-2005, 08:34 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

This is a known mechanical problem on the C5. My passenger side window module failed on my 2004 C5 with only a few miles on it. Covered by warranty. If you're out of warranty - the dealership may still cover it because its a known problem affecting all years. Do a search on the forum and you will find many members that experienced the same problem. Good luck!

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 05-18-2005 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Dustie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default window

Here's a thread with some info.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...835&forum_id=1

My assembly from Fred Beans was about $185.

Old 05-18-2005, 01:31 PM
SEAMOORE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've fixed mine (99FRC) 3-4 times by doing this: remove door panel and locate the motor, w/ ignition on, hold down the window down button and beat on the motor w/ hammer, vice grips, etc. My car has worked perfect for the last year w/ this fix. Probably does the same same thing as beating on the door panel above the speaker and slamming the door but just goes directly to the spot needing attention (the stuck motor) Good luck.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:04 PM
rubyvette40
Cruising

Default Pass Window not working

Yep, I have the same problem, can hear the clicking, window won't go down. Took it to the dealer, of course it worked then. Stopped working one more time, works now. Seems to not work after the car gets rained on, maybe moisture is the problem? Guess the only fix is to replace the window motor, eventually. It's a 2001 MN6 Z51 coupe.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:38 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The quickest potential fix is to hold the window switch in the down position and slam the door closed hard a few times. This usually frees up the motor and gets things working again. If that doesn't work you are usually looking at needing a new window regulator.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:44 PM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Manchester - Political correctness is tyranny with manners.
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06ufgrad2002
The quickest potential fix is to hold the window switch in the down position and slam the door closed hard a few times. This usually frees up the motor and gets things working again. If that doesn't work you are usually looking at needing a new window regulator.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:57 PM
curtbriggs
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default window repair

Originally Posted by go:stingray
MY window on the passenger side quit working.I pulled the panel off and checked the control module.When I touch the window down switch I can here the relay kick in,but the window will not go down.
I put a meter on the two prongs at the window motor and it read .8
ohms resistance.Not sure if this is good or bad? I tried hooking a 9volt
power supply to the window motor,to see if I could get the window to
move at all,No Luck..Anyone have problems with their powerwindows?
Any good tech. articles on how to work on these windows, and how
to trouble shoot? This problem is with my 99 c5 conv.
The Search on this forum leaves allot to be desired, I wrote a thread on repairing electric windows and I couldn't find it and I know the title and date.
The regulator is bound in the up position, in my case on my 99, the up stops were not set, allowed the window to go too far up. Remove the regulator, take the motor apart so you can turn it to relieve the bind and adjust the window. The motor has a thermal lock out and gets power but can't move, try and find my thread as my memory XXX.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:43 PM
my6thvette
Burning Brakes

Common problem. Had both of mine do this last year. Seems to happen when windows are not used much. Unstuck mine by driving over a rough road and depressing window switch. The door slamming routine didn't work for me. I try to open and close them occasionally and have had no further problems.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:46 PM
SpeedyZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by curtbriggs
The Search on this forum leaves allot to be desired, I wrote a thread on repairing electric windows and I couldn't find it and I know the title and date.
The regulator is bound in the up position, in my case on my 99, the up stops were not set, allowed the window to go too far up. Remove the regulator, take the motor apart so you can turn it to relieve the bind and adjust the window. The motor has a thermal lock out and gets power but can't move, try and find my thread as my memory XXX.
This is exactly what I have found on my window. The motor and controls work fine but the regulator itself sticks at the top. If I leave my right window at the top over two weeks it will stick. If I lower the right window 1/4" when I park the car then the window wont stick.

I have never gotten it unstuck by slamming the door. I remove the panel, speaker, then remove the nuts holding the motor assembly to the door. Then I reach through the speaker hole and remove the bolts holding the motor itself on the assembly. I pull the motor back about 1/8" and hit the button and twist the motor clockwise and counter-clockwise and shortly the window will start down. Don't pull the motor back too far, the brushes will fall out and it a pain to get them back in without removing the regulator. Then I just put it all back together. I never remove the windows or regulator from the door.

Be very careful working in these doors! That auto-down feature of the power windows makes it easy to get you hand and fingers caught in the door. These window motors can hurt you really bad!

Last edited by SpeedyZ; 05-19-2005 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:58 AM
leaftye
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought the thread below was pretty interesting. Hopefully it's useful here.

Electric windows, how to repair
Old 05-20-2005, 01:59 AM
leaftye
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoa....part of that thread is missing. Hopefully the admins can fix it before you try to get to it. If it only shows one post in the thread, then it's still broken.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:15 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Originally Posted by Z06ufgrad2002
The quickest potential fix is to hold the window switch in the down position and slam the door closed hard a few times. This usually frees up the motor and gets things working again.

Great tip!! My drivers side power window motor of my C5 Vert stopped working today.. Found this thread using the search function!!

Slammed the door and after the first time, the motor started working again!!

Get notified of new replies

To passenger side window problem

Quick Reply: passenger side window problem