C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticky Clutch Issue FIXED. Question for D. Hill too. Must read!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 11:41 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Sticky Clutch Issue FIXED. Question for D. Hill too. Must read!

I have owned two vettes. Currently I own a 2004 Z06, previously owned a 2003 Coupe. Both of these cars are MN6's. I had the same problem with both of these cars. During hard accel/shifting the clutch would stick to the floor and not come back up (usually in 2nd or 3rd). I would have to "pop" the clutch back up with my foot. Every single time this happened I would not be able to go into gear. After time it got worse and worse, occurring more and more. Never fixed the problem in my 03 coupe. Now I decided to fix it. Went to get a new clutch, have NOT installed it yet. Instead I talked with some people on here about my issue. One guy told me the same problem happened to his buddy. They just removed the spring attached to the clutch pedal and never had the problem again.

It worked!!! I was so surprised! This is a return spring so it didn't seem very logical to me but I said what the hell. After removing the spring I took my car for a good HARD run for 15 minutes, launched it 5 times, 1st thru 4th on all runs. The clutch feels brand new! The return rate of the clutch is SO MUCH quicker too. It now feels like a performance clutch should. I never once missed a shift, never once did it stick. Never once did I have an issue going into gear.

So now my question to Dave Hill is this. If someone could please pass this along I would really appreciate it. I would like to know what purpose this spring serves? It caused me so much headaches, it seems useless. The clutch is so much more responsive.

I have a new clutch sitting in my garage that would have been installed in one week, for no reason at all. That would have been money down the drain. I know I seem a little touchy about this but I just can't believe this one little spring was the issue all along.

So if your clutch is sticking to the floor, I would recommend you try this before you spend a grand on a new clutch/install.

Here is a picture of the spring.

I hope I have helped some people out there. I know this is a problem I have seen many talk about. If someone would sticky this I think it might be a good idea. If not no big deal.

Last edited by CDH76; 06-07-2005 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:46 PM
Diamond
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Old 06-07-2005, 11:51 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Very simple; the spring is there to assist the downward motion of the clutch, to offset the "high effort" required by a pressure plate designed to hold 400 ft lbs of torque.

You have to remember that GM sells these cars to everyone (big ones, small ones, short ones, tall ones, weak ones, strong ones).

That spring is there to help you push the pedal down, not up. That's why it helps this issue (which is really caused by a poorly designed slave cylinder, whose internal seals swell w/ excessive heat, BTW).
Old 06-08-2005, 12:01 AM
CDH76
Safety Car

Hey Dan,

I kind of see what you mean. However it just doesn't seem very logical. If they wanted the clutch to be a little more forgiving there is much better ways of doing it. This spring is really IMO a horrible idea.

BTW, love the Chevy explination in your sig,

The spring was not stationary when the pedal moved..which would really disregard the point of any normal spring
Old 06-08-2005, 12:20 AM
calvette 11
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default pedal

How do you remove it?Where on the pedal is it located?
Old 06-08-2005, 06:33 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Old 06-08-2005, 06:35 AM
chiefDave
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Old 06-08-2005, 09:09 AM
skip89
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ttt........................
Old 06-08-2005, 09:19 AM
roSSco
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

OMG I have to do this!!!
Old 06-08-2005, 09:33 AM
123Gone
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those springs will break too. It's possible your spring has broken and you don't even know it.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:42 AM
CDH76
Safety Car

Originally Posted by calvette 11
How do you remove it?Where on the pedal is it located?
It's right under the clutch pedal. Get down there and look, you will not miss it. Grab a flash light.

Just pull each side out of the hole they fit into and the part connecting to the clutch will be easier to remove.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:52 AM
bierbelly
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolShoesWalkin
It's right under the clutch pedal. Get down there and look, you will not miss it. Grab a flash light.

Just pull each side out of the hole they fit into and the part connecting to the clutch will be easier to remove.
THAT ought to keep the wife from driving the car.

But really, how much effort is necessary with a hydraulic clutch anyway? Is it much harder to push down without the spring?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:58 AM
CDH76
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bierbelly
THAT ought to keep the wife from driving the car.

But really, how much effort is necessary with a hydraulic clutch anyway? Is it much harder to push down without the spring?

I weight 160 lbs. Nuff said?
Old 06-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolShoesWalkin
I have owned two vettes. Currently I own a 2004 Z06, previously owned a 2003 Coupe. Both of these cars are MN6's. I had the same problem with both of these cars. During hard accel/shifting the clutch would stick to the floor and not come back up (usually in 2nd or 3rd). I would have to "pop" the clutch back up with my foot. Every single time this happened I would not be able to go into gear. After time it got worse and worse, occurring more and more. Never fixed the problem in my 03 coupe. Now I decided to fix it. Went to get a new clutch, have NOT installed it yet. Instead I talked with some people on here about my issue. One guy told me the same problem happened to his buddy. They just removed the spring attached to the clutch pedal and never had the problem again.

It worked!!! I was so surprised! This is a return spring so it didn't seem very logical to me but I said what the hell. After removing the spring I took my car for a good HARD run for 15 minutes, launched it 5 times, 1st thru 4th on all runs. The clutch feels brand new! The return rate of the clutch is SO MUCH quicker too. It now feels like a performance clutch should. I never once missed a shift, never once did it stick. Never once did I have an issue going into gear.

So now my question to Dave Hill is this. If someone could please pass this along I would really appreciate it. I would like to know what purpose this spring serves? It caused me so much headaches, it seems useless. The clutch is so much more responsive.

I have a new clutch sitting in my garage that would have been installed in one week, for no reason at all. That would have been money down the drain. I know I seem a little touchy about this but I just can't believe this one little spring was the issue all along.

So if your clutch is sticking to the floor, I would recommend you try this before you spend a grand on a new clutch/install.

Here is a picture of the spring.

I hope I have helped some people out there. I know this is a problem I have seen many talk about. If someone would sticky this I think it might be a good idea. If not no big deal.

And you were skeptical. Actually, the spring acts to make the pedal harder to push in until it over centers near the floor, then it makes it easier to hold the pedal on the floor like at a stoplight. That is why it ends up sticking the pedal to the floor. The pedal will now be easier to push, but a little harder to hold on the floor (which we all know we shouldn't do for extended periods anyway). Glad I could help.

Last edited by Rippied Z06; 06-08-2005 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:37 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Removing the spring is real big with the F-Body guys. So are broken springs. It's all over LS1Tech.com. I didn't think it really fixed the problem though but I suppose it can't hurt.

Whats funny is I had a hell of a time getting the spring back in when I made my master cylinder rod adjustable. I wish I would have just left it out.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:10 AM
CYA-Vett
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the fix is in your head. I may seem fixed but I doubt it is. The sticking pedal is pretty random and I was NEVER able to duplicate it when I wanted to. It only happened when I wasn't expecting it. Under waranty they swapped, clutch, slave, master, etc. It was fixed! Or shold I say, I though it was, it still happens but never when I try to make it.
I hope it fixed your problem but I just have trouble seeing how that spring could help even a little bit. Of course, I've been wrong before....

Good Luck
Dave
Old 06-08-2005, 11:14 AM
CDH76
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CYA-Vett
I think the fix is in your head. I may seem fixed but I doubt it is. The sticking pedal is pretty random and I was NEVER able to duplicate it when I wanted to. It only happened when I wasn't expecting it. Under waranty they swapped, clutch, slave, master, etc. It was fixed! Or shold I say, I though it was, it still happens but never when I try to make it.
I hope it fixed your problem but I just have trouble seeing how that spring could help even a little bit. Of course, I've been wrong before....

Good Luck
Dave

It's not in my head.

This issue would happen every single time now, I could duplicate the problem any time I wanted to.

Get notified of new replies

To Sticky Clutch Issue FIXED. Question for D. Hill too. Must read!

Old 06-08-2005, 01:17 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

gonna have to try this for sure!

damn pedal stuck all the time at the drag strip!
Old 06-08-2005, 10:35 PM
roSSco
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
gonna have to try this for sure!

damn pedal stuck all the time at the drag strip!
IT WORKED!!! for me

I can once again bang the gears
Old 06-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by roSSco
IT WORKED!!! for me

I can once again bang the gears

Quick Reply: Sticky Clutch Issue FIXED. Question for D. Hill too. Must read!