C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ron Davis radiator vs. Dewitts

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 01:55 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ron Davis radiator vs. Dewitts

Does anyone have any information to suggest that the Ron Davis radiator would cool a motor better than the Dewitt's radiator?
Old 06-08-2005, 02:06 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All I can say is the Ron Davis radiators have cooled the badest machines we can build. Hot days at the track, no problem. Traffic, AC on, no problems. I guess this didn't really answer your question.

Randy
Old 06-08-2005, 02:32 PM
houston-z06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribing, looking at Ron Davis and LG radiators right now to replace stock unit.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
All I can say is the Ron Davis radiators have cooled the badest machines we can build. Hot days at the track, no problem. Traffic, AC on, no problems. I guess this didn't really answer your question.

Randy
Although that doesn't directly answer my question, it's good information. Thanks

Old 06-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I installed the DeWitts Radiator w/ 160 T-stat and noticed a significant reduction in water and oil temperatures. I'm very pleased with the quality and that it's a "direct fit" for stock. Plus the price is better and they support this forum!

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 06-08-2005 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:01 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

I have a Dewitt's now, and I like it, but it's just not keeping the motor as cool as it used to now that I have twin turbos on the car. It seems there are a few guys running around with the Ron Davis and modified setups like mine that keep their coolant temps pegged to the thermostat, but I'm not sure if they are the exception or the rule.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:13 PM
C5X2C
Racer

A bit off topic. I am very satisfied with my Griffin!
Old 06-08-2005, 06:26 PM
probaja
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Ron Davis - All the top Nascar and off road racing teams use them.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:13 PM
ONealLaw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I just pulled the trigger on one of those Davis radiators with the engine oil cooler built in... I sure hope it works because Man was it expensive, however if it does its job and protect my motor .. it will be worth it.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:30 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by diynoob
Does anyone have any information to suggest that the Ron Davis radiator would cool a motor better than the Dewitt's radiator?

I can answer that question! Neither is better...they're the same. You see, they both use two rows of one inch wide tubes, the same height fin, and furnace brazed cores without epoxy.

Ron Davis radiators tend to cater more to the hard core racers that run track and high speeds. They standardize on fin spacing of 18-20 fins per inch (fpi) when the industry standard is somewhere between 11-14 fpi. While 20 fpi works great at 100mph, it doesn't work real well at cruising speeds because of the density of the core.

The Ron Davis radiator cost a lot more than ours, they have fabricated tanks (box) and we use custom made press-formed tanks. We also offer a superior 7 plate engine oil cooler, built off-set, so it doesn't block the coolant flow. Ron Davis doesn't pay the light bill on the Forum either, we do.

So if you want to spend a little more money and exceed all federal speed laws, the RD radiator is the way to go!
Old 06-09-2005, 12:10 AM
ONealLaw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Great info.. Wish I had that info earlier. I am going to check with my installer and see if my order can be canceled. It appears your product will be more in line with my use rather than a Davis radiator plus I always whenever possible make my purchases from a supporting vendor.-O'Neal
Old 06-09-2005, 06:51 AM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

Your radiators are now available with an oil cooler? I missed that on your web site. What is the upcharge over the standard radiator?

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
I can answer that question! Neither is better...they're the same. You see, they both use two rows of one inch wide tubes, the same height fin, and furnace brazed cores without epoxy.

Ron Davis radiators tend to cater more to the hard core racers that run track and high speeds. They standardize on fin spacing of 18-20 fins per inch (fpi) when the industry standard is somewhere between 11-14 fpi. While 20 fpi works great at 100mph, it doesn't work real well at cruising speeds because of the density of the core.

The Ron Davis radiator cost a lot more than ours, they have fabricated tanks (box) and we use custom made press-formed tanks. We also offer a superior 7 plate engine oil cooler, built off-set, so it doesn't block the coolant flow. Ron Davis doesn't pay the light bill on the Forum either, we do.

So if you want to spend a little more money and exceed all federal speed laws, the RD radiator is the way to go!
Old 06-09-2005, 09:41 AM
R6_C5_CLS55
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VortechC5
Your radiators are now available with an oil cooler? I missed that on your web site. What is the upcharge over the standard radiator?

I am in the market as well and would like the same information. Radiator + oil cooler.

I was sold on the RD unit. Let us know.

Thanks,

Sean
Old 06-09-2005, 09:43 AM
houston-z06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VortechC5
Hopefully we will get an answer back soon...I am ready to buy now, agree O'Neal re: supporting forum vendors ..

OT: O'Neal is your car at MTI now? I am having them install a CLB for me Saturday and KooKs 1 7/8 LT and 3 x 3 hi flow cat x pipe next Friday. Jeff also told me about the Ron Davis, I am reviewing all vendor options now such as the DeWitt radiator. Thanks Jason.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:49 AM
0Bobby @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This radiator/oil cooler has worked well with many cars that run over 170mph for long periods of time.

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/shop/pr...010401520b68d7
Old 06-09-2005, 11:17 AM
DT
Le Mans Master

Howdy Folks!

I know everytime I've asked a question, Tom is quick to respond - it sounds like there's a good 4 or 5 folks interested in the radiator and/or integrated oil cooler.

Maybe a small price break if he get a few orders at once? ("mini GP )
Old 06-09-2005, 11:25 AM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Tom,

Does your oil cooler still have a 6AN size connection? Have you experienced any pressure drops from use of this cooler?

I've talked to a few turbo savvy shops that do a fair amount of oil cooler setups -- Xtreme Motorsports and Lingenfelter. Lingenfelter recently moved to an oil cooler setup that uses 10AN connections because they were experiencing some pressure drops with 8AN connections. I recently bought a 10AN adapter block from Xtreme Motorsports at the advice of one of the techs who also said that with 8AN connections/hose they were seeing some pressure drops at startup and while the car is running.

I am concerned that a 6AN size connection might not be enough. I think the Ron Davis radiator comes with a 12AN connection for its oil cooler?

Get notified of new replies

To Ron Davis radiator vs. Dewitts

Old 06-09-2005, 12:24 PM
ONealLaw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by houston-z06
Hopefully we will get an answer back soon...I am ready to buy now, agree O'Neal re: supporting forum vendors ..

OT: O'Neal is your car at MTI now? I am having them install a CLB for me Saturday and KooKs 1 7/8 LT and 3 x 3 hi flow cat x pipe next Friday. Jeff also told me about the Ron Davis, I am reviewing all vendor options now such as the DeWitt radiator. Thanks Jason.
Hello Jason, Yes my car is at MTI now.. It is the Black '04 coupe with black out kit and Z06 motorsport wheels. I am getting a 383 stroker with F1R and etc. installed. --O'Neal
Old 06-09-2005, 01:51 PM
houston-z06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ONealLaw
Hello Jason, Yes my car is at MTI now.. It is the Black '04 coupe with black out kit and Z06 motorsport wheels. I am getting a 383 stroker with F1R and etc. installed. --O'Neal
Let me know about what you went with regarding aftermarket radiators ;Please keep me informed, PM if need be, about your 383 progress...

I will also be gettting a 383 stroker installed by MTI in the next 4 weeks, I plan on putting the new C5 KB on this fall as well....
if the KB is a no show, it's A&A D1SC all the way

I will check your car out Saturday, I only work 2.5 miles north of MTI.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:14 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Ron Davis radiator/o.c. combo from DRM and it works very well. Last year I ran 2 events at VIR where the temps were 100+. During 30min sessions my oil temps never got above 240 and water never above 220. Quality is topnotch.

Quick Reply: Ron Davis radiator vs. Dewitts