C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street racing in N. Cal and the law.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 12:56 PM
mdchaser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Street racing in N. Cal and the law.

As a new vette owner I haven't had much chance to take it out. I live in N. CA and finally got out last night to go cruisin around town. The usual compliment of very festive looking ricers were out making lots of noise and getting pulled over for being stupid (my friend even warned one that a cop was RIGHT THERE and he STILL got pulled over for driving poorly). I followed a friend of mine WAY out of town to where they apparently have spontaneous stree racing every weekend. Most of the cars were festive little civics that sounded terrible but there were a couple of quick Mustangs and so forth. One kid managed to drop his car in a ditch while turning around which added a bit of humor (he got pushed out by some friends, no harm done). All in all it was a fun/interesting experience. So now my question is what are the consequences for getting caught racing or even just watching? I know it can be pretty harsh depending on where you live. They kept telling me cops rarely show up and never end up tagging anyone but I'm not willing to risk my vette just for a show.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:05 PM
White99FRC
Pro

whether you are a spectator or involved in illegal street racing does not matter, the cops will view it that both parties are supporting and contributing to illegal street racing. therefore a spectator will get the same punishment as a racer. from what i hear now a days if you are caught, possible jail time or fines, license being suspended, as well as having your car impounded. definitely not worth it.

Also, IBTL!!
Old 06-12-2005, 01:10 PM
mdchaser
Burning Brakes

Thats what I figured. Do you know if I could actuall lose my car? I've got a perfectly spotless record so it would end up being a first offense no matter what they charged me with. It was so much fun I'd like to go back but if I could actually lose my car then it's just not worth it (I don't mind risking fines as I've been told it has yet to happen). This place is so far out of town that I need to follow someone out, I can't remember all of the turns .
Old 06-12-2005, 01:33 PM
mdchaser
Burning Brakes

BTW, I believe this is very dangerous stuff and I'm not recommending it in any way shape or form to anyone (including myself). I'm NOT a street racer, I think it should be taken to the track (no track around here unfortunately). I do not zip around town racing from light to light or exceed the speed limit (ok, maybe once in a while). Just wanted to clear that up .
Old 06-12-2005, 01:48 PM
JH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by White99FRC
whether you are a spectator or involved in illegal street racing does not matter, the cops will view it that both parties are supporting and contributing to illegal street racing. therefore a spectator will get the same punishment as a racer. from what i hear now a days if you are caught, possible jail time or fines, license being suspended, as well as having your car impounded. definitely not worth it.

Also, IBTL!!
Excellent counsel. An organization I founded brought to Colorado two law enforcement officers from San Diego to present their program to curb street racing. ANYONE who street races in California is putting themselves at risk for significant police action. Don't do it. Take your car to a track during test-and-tune night to see what it will do, or autocross if you want more than a straight track to run on.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:42 PM
ONealLaw
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by JH
Excellent counsel. An organization I founded brought to Colorado two law enforcement officers from San Diego to present their program to curb street racing. ANYONE who street races in California is putting themselves at risk for significant police action. Don't do it. Take your car to a track during test-and-tune night to see what it will do, or autocross if you want more than a straight track to run on.
As a member of the legal system. I can tell you that you put yourself at risk for a number of charges. The most serious could be manslaughter, vehicular homocide, negligent homocide and etc. A bystander can be charged for anything that the actors do as a principal to the crime. The least of your worries will be if they take your car away... they wil take away your freedom, youth and your life. A zealous Prosecutor will charge you with these crimes especially if a life is lost and it becomes highly publicized. There are way too many risks to get involved with street racing... It is far better to pay a few dollars admission fee at your local dragstrip. Just my .02. - O'NEAL
Old 06-12-2005, 03:55 PM
RoHo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And that is no BS, they will and do impound your car
Old 06-12-2005, 04:01 PM
b98
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 06-12-2005, 04:39 PM
Mr. Lucky
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I can't offer any advice that hasn't already been provided, but your reference to the ricer-mobiles as "festive" cracked me up.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:07 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Track days for road racing in CA & NV

http://track-days.org/
Old 06-12-2005, 06:40 PM
White99FRC
Pro

If you are nearby Sacramento, Sacramento Raceway has Test-N-Tune every Friday night from 6pm-10pm. I go at least once a month and get 8-10 runs a night.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:48 PM
OutlawDon
Drifting

Where exactly in NorCal are you?
Old 06-12-2005, 07:10 PM
427CPE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OutlawDon
Where exactly in NorCal are you?
Im in Folsom too. I go out to the track once in a while usually on test n tune night. Also, no street racing! There are only kiddies out there mainly anyway. Most of the real cars are at the track.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:43 PM
White99FRC
Pro

Originally Posted by 427CPE
Im in Folsom too. I go out to the track once in a while usually on test n tune night. Also, no street racing! There are only kiddies out there mainly anyway. Most of the real cars are at the track.
Nice to see a fellow Folsomite on here in CF!!
Old 06-12-2005, 11:17 PM
mdchaser
Burning Brakes

I am about 1.5hrs north of Sac. That might be an option, I could just head down there after work. Do they have a web site I could check out? There were a total of THREE nice cars out last night, my vette included. I don't think I"m going to make it a regular thing, not worth the risk. Especially when all of the "festive" "tuners" decide to do burnouts right in the middle of a crowd of people (NOT smart but no one would listen to me, I'm about double the average age).
Old 06-12-2005, 11:33 PM
rickko
Drifting

San Diego:
Illegal street racing is becoming an increasingly serious problem in San Diego. Just in 2002, 15 young men and women have been killed in San Diego County. An additional 19 people have been severely injured due to illegal street racing. It is not rare to be driving along the freeway and have a few cars speeding past you at 80, 90 or 100 mph while racing against each other. And it is much more organized on the streets. There are a number of underground clubs and a wealth of information about where to race on the internet. On weekend nights a desolate street can turn into a scene of 500 kids willing to race or be a spectator, all of them risking their lives.

The City of San Diego is taking a couple of approaches to help put an end to illegal street racing. The first is passing a Spectator Ordinance within the City. ... this ordinance makes it illegal to be a spectator at an illegal street race. If caught offenders will be prosecuted, fined upwards to $1,000 and eligible for up to 6 months in jail time.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:18 AM
White99FRC
Pro

Originally Posted by mdchaser
I am about 1.5hrs north of Sac. That might be an option, I could just head down there after work. Do they have a web site I could check out? There were a total of THREE nice cars out last night, my vette included. I don't think I"m going to make it a regular thing, not worth the risk. Especially when all of the "festive" "tuners" decide to do burnouts right in the middle of a crowd of people (NOT smart but no one would listen to me, I'm about double the average age).
there is a drag strip up in redding, it may be a little closer to u. they have street legal race nights as well as test n tunes. check it out!!

www.reddingdragstrip.com

Get notified of new replies

To Street racing in N. Cal and the law.

Old 06-13-2005, 01:07 AM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

I have heard they can/will confiscate your car in Los Angeles. Ouch!

Old 06-13-2005, 02:54 AM
MacC5
Advanced

I got busted for racing in Sacramento 2 years ago. I only did it once and that's all it took. I ruined a spotless record with a misderminor traffic charge. It was a little unfair I thought, undercover cops watched the ricers racing for over an hour. I was incline to just watch too. But after a motorcycle dude asked me to race, I said what the he11 why not, I had NOS. After a dead even finish, it was something out of the movies with cops coming from every direction. That whole operation rounded up a grand total of 2 people. Me and the guy on the bike. Anyway, they took my Vette for 30 days. After spending 6 hours in cuffs, took me to jail for 24 hours. The fines, impound & legal fees were about $3500. So, for anyone thinking about racing, think about spending the night with the 20 -30 of your closest drunks, crack heads and gang thugs in one small room. I personally didn't like watching people getting the **** kicked out of them on a dirty cell floor by a big fat gang banger as crooked cops looked the other way. Thats the Sacramento County Jail. Oh, and if you try to fight the ticket and lose, you get to go back and visit those friends for 6 months....

For those who just watch, it's not as harsh. But still a fine. But no one here on the CF would do that...

Last edited by MacC5; 06-13-2005 at 03:25 AM.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:17 AM
Jeffyvette
Drifting

Default go fast

MD,
You want go fast check this out:

www.openroadracing.com

Jeffy'

Last edited by Jeffyvette; 06-13-2005 at 04:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Street racing in N. Cal and the law.