C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Nomar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best Spark Plugs

I have a 99 Coupe with black wing intake, Magnaflow exhaust with Xpipe, getting ready to install new headers, thought I would change the plugs while I"m in there. Bought MSD plug wires, any suggestions as to which spark plugs to install?
Old 06-16-2005, 07:48 PM
SGT. PYLE
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NGK TR55's work fine for me. I have the same MSD wires also. IMO your not gonna get a HP increase from any plugs or wires so go with whats $ensible. You can find a good set up at www.corvettegarage.com. Make sure to get some heat sleaves to keep your wires from melting from your headers.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:01 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NGKTR55IX Corvette plug
41952 ngk 2885
Old 06-17-2005, 12:07 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

NGK TR55s are officially the best spark plugs you can get for a C5.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:16 PM
chiefDave
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by eamador11
I run the same in my car. When installing headers, it is a good idea to swap out plugs as they can get banged around durring the install. No HP there...
Dave
Old 06-17-2005, 12:45 PM
MHVette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eamador11
I also run the NGK TR55ix w/ MSD Wires
Old 06-17-2005, 01:17 PM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Manchester - Political correctness is tyranny with manners.
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SGT. PYLE
NGK TR55's work fine for me. I have the same MSD wires also. IMO your not gonna get a HP increase from any plugs or wires so go with whats $ensible. You can find a good set up at www.corvettegarage.com. Make sure to get some heat sleaves to keep your wires from melting from your headers.
I agree...this is what I did...seems to idle smoother.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:32 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

NGK TR55's here also!
Old 06-17-2005, 02:10 PM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much better are the TR55 over the stock Delco iridiums? Also, how often do you need, or should, change the TR55's?

Inquiring minds would like to know.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:59 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KFRC5
How much better are the TR55 over the stock Delco iridiums? Also, how often do you need, or should, change the TR55's?

Inquiring minds would like to know.
Personally, I believe that if a sparkplug is of the proper physical size, of the proper heat range and has proper gapping there will be absolutely no measurable difference in performance Just MHO.. I have never seen actual, documented and verified, performance proof (acceleration, dyno, quartermile, etc) that one brand, or type, is better than another, other than the pucks falling off the original Delco platinums. All I've ever seen is opinion and I guess we're all entitled to one. I run the Delco Iridiums, have been more than satisfied and don't have to change them out every year. It works for me.
Ed
Old 06-17-2005, 04:37 PM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C5XTASY
Personally, I believe that if a sparkplug is of the proper physical size, of the proper heat range and has proper gapping there will be absolutely no measurable difference in performance Just MHO.. I have never seen actual, documented and verified, performance proof (acceleration, dyno, quartermile, etc) that one brand, or type, is better than another, other than the pucks falling off the original Delco platinums. All I've ever seen is opinion and I guess we're all entitled to one. I run the Delco Iridiums, have been more than satisfied and don't have to change them out every year. It works for me.
Ed
My thoughts almost exactly. That's why I asked the question. I'm still on my original platinums, 44k. Don't know if they're Delcos or Densos. My mileage, and my G-tech pro readings are virtually identical from 2000 to 2005 (I keep track). Haven't been back out to WSIR in a couple of years, so can't compare those times. I admit, I've never pulled my plugs, afraid I might knock a puck off. The Vette idles great, and runs great. Wondering how much benefit I would get from the TR55's.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Lingenfelter383
Advanced

Are you guys using the cheap V-power TR55's or the high $ Iridium TR55ix's? Does it really matter if I don't care about changing plugs every couple years?
Old 06-21-2005, 10:26 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

V-power TR55's, they cost about $13.00 for the set!
Old 06-21-2005, 11:27 PM
CVETTE98
Instructor

Originally Posted by C5XTASY
Ed
I have been running Autolight double platinum in my 98 and it is running real well. So I agree with the proper heat range and proper heat range opinion.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Spark Plugs

Quick Reply: Best Spark Plugs