C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do GY Runflats get flat spots from sitting

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 08:30 AM
Flyboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do GY Runflats get flat spots from sitting

Hi folks,

Unfortunately I will have to layup my 99 for about 6 months and am wondering if I will have flat spots even if I have proper tire inflation. I am not really into jacking it up, but if I have to I have to..

Also is there anything I can do to preserve the rotors besides taking them off. If they have any rust build up is there anything I can do to clean them?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Flyboy
Old 06-20-2005, 09:19 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyboy
Hi folks,

Unfortunately I will have to layup my 99 for about 6 months and am wondering if I will have flat spots even if I have proper tire inflation. I am not really into jacking it up, but if I have to I have to..

Also is there anything I can do to preserve the rotors besides taking them off. If they have any rust build up is there anything I can do to clean them?

Thank you,

Flyboy
You will probably notice some bad vibrations for a while. Your best bet is to run the tires through a really good heat cycle. I don't know if they are ruined, but I would try doing a good long couple of water burnouts on the rears, and the fronts-subject them to some hard stopping and turning routines.

I've noticed vibration from tires that have sat for just a few months. I don't know if it completely goes away, or what, because I just sold my car that had sat for a long time.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:45 AM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyboy
Hi folks,

Thank you,

Flyboy
Not to worry the flat spots go away after you have driven a few miles, I know because I store mine all winter in Mich.

As for the rotors a few brake applications will clean off any rust.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:06 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

I would go "curbside shopping" and find some old carpeting. Cut it into 1 foot squares, and put a couple squares under each tire. As long as the rotors don't see any directy water, you should be OK there.

(I store my C-5 during the winter also)

Get notified of new replies

To Do GY Runflats get flat spots from sitting

Quick Reply: Do GY Runflats get flat spots from sitting