C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Column Lock FAQs Part II

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 03:29 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Steering Column Lock FAQs Part II - Please Read

Q I had the recall done and now after a few weeks my car is getting the dreaded “Service Column Lock” error message and I can’t drive it because the fuel is shut off. What should I do?
A You have three choices: 1) return to the dealer and make them fix it; 2) go into your passenger footwell, locate the relay added by the recall mod and replace it with a working one; 3) remove the relay altogether and bypass the circuit as described below.

Q What happens when I install an aftermarket CLB and it doesn’t work?
A You probably have the GM recall mod installed on your car already. This can happen either from the dealer installing it OR on some years it was installed at the factory.

Q How can I tell if I’ve had the recall mod?
A Inspect your column lock harness. If the four wires in your ECL harness going toward the BCM are Orange, Purple, Green, Black then you DO NOT have the mod. If the four wires in your ECL harness going toward the BCM are White, Purple, Green, Black then you DO have the mod.

Q Why is there sometimes a conflict between the recall mod and my CLB?
A The recall added a second relay (different from the Harness K which is the GM version of the CLB) between your BCM and your ECL in series with the orange (LOCK) wire. This is to safeguard against a spurious glitch from ever locking your ECL while you are driving (clearly GM is paranoid now). The problem is that this second relay is causing a timing glitch, which resets your CLB immediately after it switches states. The reason it works with your stock ECL is because your ECL motor (being mechanical and slow compared to solid-state logic), is immune to these timing glitches whereas the latching relay inside your CLB sees these glitches and reacts to them. Furthermore, I think the GM Harness K CLB is equally susceptible to this problem as well.

Q What can I do if this situation occurs?
A Go into your passenger footwell. Remove your BCM and locate the recall mod relay, remove it and add a jumper wire between the white wire (pin 30) and the orange wire (pin 87). Note that there are two orange wires, so make sure you get the right one!

Q If my CLB fails, will it damage my BCM?
A Possibly, but extremely doubtful; there have been some claims of this happening, however after personally researching it and talking with many forum members, I have yet to see where a BCM actually experienced electrical damage. GM put fuses into their designs to protect the BCM from short circuits and failures.

After many conversations with many CF members who are dealing with the dealer recall mess, I studied up on the recall instructions and wiring diagrams for the MN6/M12. I've come to the following conclusion: GM is NOT concerned with your being stranded with a column lock. They are ONLY interested in protecting themselves from a lawsuit in the event your steering column were to lock while driving. On the A4, they completely eliminated the column lock function by replacing the lock plate and installing a CLB of their own which looks exactly like the aftermarket CLBs available for $50. They were able to justify this because on the A4 cars there's a second theft deterrent which locks the tranny. We MN6 drivers were not so lucky. Since the ECL was the only theft deterrent, GM decided to leave it active. They did two things to protect themselves: 1) if for any reason the column lock activates while driving above 2 mph, your PCM is re-programmed to shut off your fuel pump and 2) they install another relay in series with your ECL which prevents any spurious glitch to your ECL telling it to lock while driving. Unfortunately the relay they used seems to be of poor quality as I've worked with several now that have had this relay fail in the unlock position so that the BCM always gets the wrong status. Though the column is not actually locked in this situation, you will get the "Pull key and wait 10 seconds" error message, you can start your car, but you cannot drive it because you have no fuel to your engine. It seems many are having more problems after the recall than before they took it in. Hope this helps some of you with your on-going ECL problems. MN6 folks should put in the aftermarket CLB and NOT do the recall in my opinion. Again beware that the dealer recall which re-flashes your PCM will eliminate any tuning mods you may have made!
Cheers
John

Last edited by Cscokd; 07-06-2005 at 03:04 AM.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:55 AM
FLL-Mike
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On That Note!!

Some threads Ive read suggests that the bypass will not work if the vehicle had the recall.

I just got off the phone with a tech from Kelley Chevrolet in Hallandale, FL. Recommended the bypass kit even if your C5 has had the recall.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 06-28-2005, 11:14 AM
FRCTony
Drifting

Originally Posted by FLL-Mike
Some threads Ive read suggests that the bypass will not work if the vehicle had the recall.

I just got off the phone with a tech from Kelley Chevrolet in Hallandale, FL. Recommended the bypass kit even if your C5 has had the recall.

Hope this helps.

Mike
The bypass will work with the recall because the bypass (CLB) merely simulates the column lock. Since GM is apparently afraid your column MIGHT lock while driving, your best protection on a manual car is to eliminate the possibility with a CLB.

As John says, if you have a manual car and have NOT had the recall done, DO NOT get the recall done. Get a bypass installed. Then your covered

Finally, if your unfortunate enough to be forced to take your car to the dealer, tell them in no uncertain terms to NOT reprogram your ECM. If you don't, they likely will do so...

Last edited by FRCTony; 06-28-2005 at 11:17 AM. Reason: addition
Old 06-28-2005, 11:16 AM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FRCTony
The bypass will work with the recall because the bypass (CLB) merely simulates the column lock. Since GM is apparently afraid your column MIGHT lock while driving, your best protection on a manual car is to eliminate the possibility with a CLB.

As John says, if you have a manual car and have NOT had the recall done, DO NOT get the recall done. Get a bypass installed. Then your covered
Right but if for some reason your car (particularly an older one) doesnt like the CLB and throws the "service column lock" message, if you had the recall done it will shut off your fuel... where as before the recall, the car will still run.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:20 AM
FRCTony
Drifting

Originally Posted by eRiCdWoNg
Right but if for some reason your car (particularly an older one) doesnt like the CLB and throws the "service column lock" message, if you had the recall done it will shut off your fuel... where as before the recall, the car will still run.
Yep. Just say NO to PCM reprogram!
Old 06-28-2005, 12:02 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Cscokd
Unfortunately the relay they used seems to be of poor quality as I've worked with several now that have had this relay fail in the unlock position so that the BCM always gets the wrong status.

One way to troubleshoot this condition is to go into the passenger footwell and find this relay. Remove it from its socket and jumper the white wire to the orange wire. Note: there are two orange wires to this relay. You want the one that is NOT connected to the coil. John
I agree that GM has had quality problems with the relays used in the recalls, BUT it appears you are talking about a different relay. You refer to a relay next to the BCM in the footwell. The relay that gets installed in the recall is located under the steering column between the factory wiring harness and the column lock actuator.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:37 PM
FRCTony
Drifting

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
I agree that GM has had quality problems with the relays used in the recalls, BUT it appears you are talking about a different relay. You refer to a relay next to the BCM in the footwell. The relay that gets installed in the recall is located under the steering column between the factory wiring harness and the column lock actuator.
In my case, this is what was done:

06/26/2002 265311 # V0743 - ECL RELAY HARNESS REPLACE

Hopefully someone who knows can indentify the parts used in this operation.

I believe from reading previous posts that currently only the PCM reprogram is performed if presented with a manual car that has never previously been seen by the dealer.

Clearly GM doesn't have a clue anyway you slice it.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:34 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

In my case, this is what was done:

06/26/2002 265311 # V0743 - ECL RELAY HARNESS REPLACE

Hopefully someone who knows can indentify the parts used in this operation.

I believe from reading previous posts that currently only the PCM reprogram is performed if presented with a manual car that has never previously been seen by the dealer.

Clearly GM doesn't have a clue anyway you slice it.
Since they installed a relay, I take it that you have an A4.
If so, they probably installed the Harness K relay kit, PN 88952427.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:47 PM
FRCTony
Drifting

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Since they installed a relay, I take it that you have an A4.
If so, they probably installed the Harness K relay kit, PN 88952427.
Nope. MN6.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:45 PM
TrueBlueCoupe
Burning Brakes

Here is what I want to do. I want to change the profile on the locking plate to a very mild cam profile. If the pin gets stuck engaged, just turn the wheel to drive it back in. I know the pin is driven by a worm gear, not sure if this would work, but I may try it.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:30 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Nope. MN6.

It looks like one of the recalls on the MN6 that used PN 88952428 wiring kit, may also have replaced the relay in the BCM.

Here are part of the instructions:

10. Remove the relay.
11. Remove the orange wire from position C1 on the ECL relay connector.
12. Remove the white wire from position A2 on the ECL relay connector.
13. Swap the two terminal positions and re-insert, orange wire to A2 and white wire to C1.
14. Add the new purple wire from the jumper to terminal position B2.
15. Install the new single pole, double throw relay.
16. Install the Green 16-way connector to the BCM.
17. Secure the BCM to the electrical panel.
18. Tape the new purple wire neatly to another group of wires along it's path.
19. Install the electrical center kick panel cover.
20. Return to Step 25 under ECL Upgrade 1997, 1998 and 2000 Models with Manual Transmission or Export Vehicles.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:11 AM
FRCTony
Drifting

That appears to be what they did...Notice how 1999 is NOT included?
Old 07-06-2005, 03:10 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

TTT - Added new edits to FAQ II

John
Old 07-07-2005, 02:09 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Ttt
Old 07-15-2005, 04:20 PM
C4Bud
Heel & Toe

After 30,000 trouble-free miles I decided to have the recall done on my 2000 MN6. (If it ain't broke... what a schmuck) The column lock-up struck today, confirming what members have said - the GM "fix" seems to limit only liability, not exposure.

"Remove Key for 10 Sseconds" followed by "Service Column Lock" was delivered today, and the steering was indeed locked. Some forum suggestions enabled me free the lock, clearing the way for the CLB install. I think.

1. Can the CLB be successfully installed once the K-Harness is installed? Does the K-Harness have to be removed?

2. This thread indicates that some of the relays installed by GM as part of the recall were failing. Mine was an April recall - the same time frame. If the relay is defective what effect will it have? The GM service manager has no idea (candor at last).

3. The dealer service bulletin says "In order to complete the repairs, you must order P/N 26056108 Nut, Steering Wheel and P/N 26050960 Lock, Strg Whl Theft Dtrnt." The invoice lists only the 88952428 Wire Kit. This sounds suspiciously like the recall was only partially performed. Can anyone shed any light there?

4. On automatics they replace the lock plate with with a "cam orientation plate" eliminating locking capability. Recognizing that automatics have a transmission lock, is there any reason this same procedure can't be done to an M6? I could care less if the wheel never locks - as of today I actually prefer it.

My objective is to get the car up and running again, with as little GM contact as possible. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:52 PM
FRCTony
Drifting

C4Bud,

Bypass the relay, and install a CLB.

If you have specific questions, ask away.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:58 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Originally Posted by C4Bud
After 30,000 trouble-free miles I decided to have the recall done on my 2000 MN6. (If it ain't broke... what a schmuck) The column lock-up struck today, confirming what members have said - the GM "fix" seems to limit only liability, not exposure.

"Remove Key for 10 Sseconds" followed by "Service Column Lock" was delivered today, and the steering was indeed locked. Some forum suggestions enabled me free the lock, clearing the way for the CLB install. I think.

1. Can the CLB be successfully installed once the K-Harness is installed? Does the K-Harness have to be removed?
Many folks are now experiencing problems with CLB operation once the recall has been performed. After studying this and successfully helping several of you troubleshoot and fix your MN6/MN12 cars, I have come to the conclusion that there may be a timing and relay switching problem which will occasionally cause your CLB to change states to the wrong state and give you all the same symptoms as before (the steering will not be locked) but now you're still stranded because your fuel is shut off (thanks to GM).
2. This thread indicates that some of the relays installed by GM as part of the recall were failing. Mine was an April recall - the same time frame. If the relay is defective what effect will it have? The GM service manager has no idea (candor at last).
In several cases, the recall was done successfully and working just fine. However after a short time, the car failed with all the old column lock symptoms. Once the relay that was added by the recall was removed and bypassed, the car was up and running again. So this leads me to believe that the relays used in the recall mods are defective and/or of poor quality.

3. The dealer service bulletin says "In order to complete the repairs, you must order P/N 26056108 Nut, Steering Wheel and P/N 26050960 Lock, Strg Whl Theft Dtrnt." The invoice lists only the 88952428 Wire Kit. This sounds suspiciously like the recall was only partially performed. Can anyone shed any light there?
For A4s they replace the lock ring to eliminate the steering lock function. For MN6/MN12 I believe they add this relay mod behind the BCM and check your ECL module for proper clearances, but do not replace the locking plate.

4. On automatics they replace the lock plate with with a "cam orientation plate" eliminating locking capability. Recognizing that automatics have a transmission lock, is there any reason this same procedure can't be done to an M6? I could care less if the wheel never locks - as of today I actually prefer it.
You can disassemble and install this locking plate if you wish. Personally, I would simply install the CLB and never do the recall....or if I already had the recall, I would remove the relay that they added. Trust me, it does absolutely nothing to prevent you from being eventually stranded and just adds another reliability problem for you to deal with someday when you least expect it.

My objective is to get the car up and running again, with as little GM contact as possible. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
I hope this was a help to you
Cheers
John

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Column Lock FAQs Part II

Old 07-16-2005, 12:40 PM
C4Bud
Heel & Toe

FRCTony,
At the risk of sounding dumb - when you say bypass the relay - doesn't installation of the CLB do just that - or are there other specific actions needed on an MN6? As I think I understand this, I can install a CLB and eliminate fear of another lock-up, while retaining fear of the fuel shut down introduced by recall compliance. Have I got that right?
Old 07-16-2005, 12:57 PM
C4Bud
Heel & Toe

Cscokd;

Thanks for your detailed response...but more questions.
I'm all for removing the relay the dealer installed, and have located it under the passengers floor, but unfortunately, the MN6 relay appearently lacks the plug-in simplicity of the A4 mod and involves jumper wiress, splices and swapped terminals, along with a reprogramming of the BCM. How is removal successfully accomplished? Is there a reversing procedure anywhere? Is restoration of the original BCM programming required? Failing that, can the recall installed relay simply be ignored, a CLB installed, and just hope the fuel flow remains?
Old 07-16-2005, 01:11 PM
FRCTony
Drifting

Originally Posted by C4Bud
FRCTony,
At the risk of sounding dumb - when you say bypass the relay - doesn't installation of the CLB do just that - or are there other specific actions needed on an MN6? As I think I understand this, I can install a CLB and eliminate fear of another lock-up, while retaining fear of the fuel shut down introduced by recall compliance. Have I got that right?
Not dumb at all.

John (Cscokd) is the expert. Hopefully, we can get a condensed faq together, as the sheer volume of stuff here is overwhelming.

If your column is unlocked, then get a CLB installed ASAP.

Since you have now had your PCM reprogrammed, if the harness relay fails, you will still not be able to drive your car.

If you get the service column lock after installing the CLB, then you will have to replace or bypass the extra relay that your friendly dealer has added. If you had not had your PCM reprogrammed, then you could drive happily with only an annoying message on your DIC...

There is a picture in one of the threads which shows the relay and harness location near the BCM in the passenger footwell. If you read Johns comments above, it tells you which wires to jump in order to bypass the relay.

This is how I bypassed mine (the red line in the diagram):

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot...cat/500/page/1

The purple wire in this pic leads you to the relay in question:

http://spinn.net/~muncie21/ECL_1.jpg

Per John "Go into your passenger footwell. Remove your BCM and locate the recall mod relay, remove it and add a jumper wire between the white wire (pin 30) and the orange wire (pin 87). Note that there are two orange wires, so make sure you get the right one!"

Note that you must remove the relay to see the actual pin numbers, because they are marked right where the pins come out of the housing.
This is much easier than it sounds

Quick Reply: Steering Column Lock FAQs Part II