C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Master tech says my Tranny is shot....any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 12:13 AM
Y2KC5NBM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default GM Master tech says my Tranny is shot....any suggestions?

Well I had previously posted that after an aggressive 1-2 shift I am now getting a loud whining noise in the drive line. The whining is only noticeable when maintaining a constant speed. If you accelerate, decelerate, or push in on the clutch the whining goes away. The whine is mostly in gears 2,3,4,5,6. In 1st or reverse, the noise is hardly noticable. With the reputation of the T56 I still find it hard to beleive it's the transmission. When I made the shift I didn't grind the gear or anything. The transmission still shifts fine, very smooth. What in the transmission would cause this whining noise?

Does anybody think it could still be the rear end? He put the car up on the lift and had somebody run through the gears as he listened to the rear end and tranny with a stethoscope. He says he could hear the noise in both the rear end and the transmission, but was louder in the tranny. He also drained the fluid in the tranny and said there were small amounts of metal burrs in the fluid, but nothing substancial.

I hate to spend the money to replace the transmission and it actually be the rear end that's making the noise. Has anybody experienced a loud whine like this? The whine is loud enough that turning the radio almost up to full volume is not enough to drown out the whine in 3rd and 4th gear.

Man this sucks........

BTW - The car is a 2000 M6 with 51,000 miles on it.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:23 AM
Scubanme
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO you hear the noise just sitting there in neutral? Do you hear the noise if you coast downhill without being in gear? I hope you get this resolved. Do a full batery of tests and then so you could post more info.

Old 07-08-2005, 04:59 AM
blktie8
Drifting

Default Transmission

In Indiana
Rodney
Crashed 94 he's your neighbor
Call Him ..........
Old 07-08-2005, 10:12 AM
Y2KC5NBM
Pro

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Scubanme
DO you hear the noise just sitting there in neutral? Do you hear the noise if you coast downhill without being in gear? I hope you get this resolved. Do a full batery of tests and then so you could post more info.

No, you do not hear the noise at all when sitting in neutral. And no you do not hear the noise when costing. The ONLY time you hear the noise when you are applying enough gas to keep the vehicle at a constant speed. If you push on the accellerator to increase speed the whining noise goes away, if you let off of the accelerator the noise goes away. This whining noise is NOT normal. I had a 2000 Trans Am that had the T56 and it whined very little. This whine is so loud it's annoying. I don't even want to drive the car.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:44 AM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 92LT1Auto
Well I had previously posted that after an aggressive 1-2 shift I am now getting a loud whining noise in the drive line. The whining is only noticeable when maintaining a constant speed. If you accelerate, decelerate, or push in on the clutch the whining goes away. The whine is mostly in gears 2,3,4,5,6. In 1st or reverse, the noise is hardly noticable. With the reputation of the T56 I still find it hard to beleive it's the transmission. When I made the shift I didn't grind the gear or anything. The transmission still shifts fine, very smooth. What in the transmission would cause this whining noise?

Does anybody think it could still be the rear end? He put the car up on the lift and had somebody run through the gears as he listened to the rear end and tranny with a stethoscope. He says he could hear the noise in both the rear end and the transmission, but was louder in the tranny. He also drained the fluid in the tranny and said there were small amounts of metal burrs in the fluid, but nothing substancial.

I hate to spend the money to replace the transmission and it actually be the rear end that's making the noise. Has anybody experienced a loud whine like this? The whine is loud enough that turning the radio almost up to full volume is not enough to drown out the whine in 3rd and 4th gear.

Man this sucks........

BTW - The car is a 2000 M6 with 51,000 miles on it.
The Mechanic is a moron.. That completely sounds like a rear Ring and Pinion problem...

Especially when reverse mades the sound go away... that means the pinion teeth are meshing with the opposite side of the ring gear teeth.

By the way.. Running the car through the gears on the lift was a stupid idea.. YOu already told him it made no noise when coasting.. With no load on the wheels you cannot duplicate the problem.. Maybe if you strapped it to a dyno drum you could......

Last edited by chuckster; 07-08-2005 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Scubanme
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 92LT1Auto
No, you do not hear the noise at all when sitting in neutral. And no you do not hear the noise when costing. The ONLY time you hear the noise when you are applying enough gas to keep the vehicle at a constant speed. If you push on the accellerator to increase speed the whining noise goes away, if you let off of the accelerator the noise goes away. This whining noise is NOT normal. I had a 2000 Trans Am that had the T56 and it whined very little. This whine is so loud it's annoying. I don't even want to drive the car.
I'm thinking it's your tranny, not the diff. from your info. Since it does not make noise at an idle or in neutral or after you push in the clutch,
it would say it's not the clutch. it does not make noise while coasting in neutral, so I would think it's not the rearend. I'm thinking it's in the tranny. But it does not sound major because you can still go through the gears and no noise accelerating or decelerating.

good luck.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:12 PM
sugarwolf
Pro

Its the differential, i had the same problem on my car. Thought it was the tranny but it was the rearend doing it.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Pull the plug on the Diff and see what the fluid looks like. You can change the fluid (dont forget to add the fluid addative) and see if that changes the sound. I would drive it and see if you can narrow it down!

bill
Old 07-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Y2KC5NBM
Pro

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by blktie8
In Indiana
Rodney
Crashed 94 he's your neighbor
Call Him ..........
After some research I found his phone number and read about his reputation. I think this was the answer I needed. I left him a voicemail and I'm anxiously awaiting his return phone call! Thanks!!!

Get notified of new replies

To GM Master tech says my Tranny is shot....any suggestions?

Quick Reply: GM Master tech says my Tranny is shot....any suggestions?