C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Rattle Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 11:25 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Clutch Rattle Question

So I had my clutch replaced recently and I cannot remember if the old clutch rattled when the car was idling in nuetral.

I know the car makes a weird noise when it shuts down and the clutch is out with the car in neutral, but I am not sure if I remember the car making a noise when just sitting in neutral.

I know it is the clutch because when I press the clutch pedal in the noise stops. In gear, of course, I can tell what is going on because the clutch is either in or out, but definately there is a noise in neutral with the clutch out.

Just wondering...

thanks
Old 07-30-2005, 02:19 AM
Johns07Z
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine rattles and always has, so I think yours is fine. Sounds almost like a thin metal rattling/vibrating?

I've got a question for you - did you replace it with a stock plate, if not what type? I got stuck on the freeway for an hour tonight in stop 'n go and took the last life out of my clutch and or something went south on the hydralics - pedal went down to near the floor and just barely made it home into the garage before it was completely shot. It seemed to go pretty fast so I'm think a seal may have gone on the hydralics. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
John
Old 07-30-2005, 07:56 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Johns01C5
I've got a question for you - did you replace it with a stock plate, if not what type? I got stuck on the freeway for an hour tonight in stop 'n go and took the last life out of my clutch and or something went south on the hydralics - pedal went down to near the floor and just barely made it home into the garage before it was completely shot. It seemed to go pretty fast so I'm think a seal may have gone on the hydralics. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
John
I replaced the entire clutch with the RPS clutch and replaced the stock flywheel with an aluminium flywheel. This clutch is so much better than stock. I was having issues with mine too. When it heated up the clutch would stick to the floor. The new clutch is more reponsive and no more problem.

Chris the owner of ECS is using the same clutch in his road racing car and stated that he ran all day at Watkins Glenn and the clutch felt as smooth at the end of the day as it did at the beginning. I believe he has 3.90 gears and over 450 RWHP on that car.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:15 AM
Johns07Z
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the info - I'm going to check things out tomorrow and if it's still bad, I'll be in the market for a new clutch. I live in Arizona near Xtreme Corvettes - they put on my Corsa Indy's - so I'll probably go see them.
thanks again,
John
Old 08-07-2005, 07:30 AM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Im needing a clutch. does the RPS chatter ?
do you have to rev it hard to start rolling in first gear, or is it like stock ?
Old 08-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by phils C5 vette
Im needing a clutch. does the RPS chatter ?
do you have to rev it hard to start rolling in first gear, or is it like stock ?
My RPS drives like stock with a little stiffer pedal.. Mine has been working great..
Old 08-07-2005, 04:59 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

chris,
how is it on the street
you rcommended LUK
then Aussie
and now RPS

Your killing me !!!!
Old 08-07-2005, 09:34 PM

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by phils C5 vette
chris,
how is it on the street
you rcommended LUK
then Aussie
and now RPS

Your killing me !!!!

Its kinda funny how every 6 months there is a new "clutch of choice" The Luk is nice for a bone stock engine or a very mild one. They drive nice and all but I would go a little beefier. The Exedys were last years clutch of choice untill we came upon a bunch of issues. I really like the aussie clutch. Its a bit on the heavy side but it works pretty well. After I tried a few RPS clutches in customers cars I had to have one. Awesome pedal and very, very smooth. I have about 750 miles on mine and am very happy with it so far.. Maybe next week it will be a Spec stage 3 or something
Old 08-08-2005, 08:15 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Phil I sent you another PM.

FYI
As I mentioned the RPS clutch is great. I ran it all day Saturday at ETown with no issues (though this is my last 1/4 run - I hate beating on the car like that - and Chris talked me into Road Racing anyway).

Rattle? Well there is some noise when the car is idling. The noise is not much, but from what I have read and heard some others clutches make a lot more noise. I did not hear the noise until I was working on the car inside my garage where it could echo off the cement floor.

Again I will give you better feedback after the H/C package that ECS is putting in soon, but since Chris already has it in his car with almost the same setup I see no problems (of course that could be the reason he is looking to sell it )
Old 08-08-2005, 10:05 AM
vetteamerica
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Wicked Weasel]

FYI
As I mentioned the RPS clutch is great. I ran it all day Saturday at ETown with no issues (though this is my last 1/4 run - I hate beating on the car like that - and Chris talked me into Road Racing anyway).

WW, Sorry to hear that your not going to drag race anymore, but
do you really think road racing is not beating on the car??

I would think road racing / auto crossing is more were and tear on the car than drag racing, just my thoughts
Old 08-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by vetteamerica
WW, Sorry to hear that your not going to drag race anymore, but
do you really think road racing is not beating on the car??

I would think road racing / auto crossing is more were and tear on the car than drag racing, just my thoughts
Well I am not quitting 1/4 mile racing I am just not focusing on it. I will still come to the CC, but that is it. I will also not drop my clutch at 5K rpms. I will most likely leave the line around 2K rpms or so and just see what the car can do.

My thoughts about wear and tear on the car is something like this:

1/4 mile is like getting up at 5am and jumping out of bed and going for a full sprint.

Road racing is more like getting up, putting your shoes on, and then going for a jog which turns into a run. This just seems to be a bit less harsh on the car.

Regarding parts - well I would say that typical 1/4 mile cars go through tires, transmissions and clutches while typical road racing goes through tires, brakes, and rotors. I would rather pay for brake pads and rotors then clutches and transmissions (though I still have to do more research on what parts break most often on road racing cars).

I do agree that any racing (even street racing) is hard on your car and if you can't afford to break things then you should not be doing it.

Another influence is that I want more than 12 seconds (soon to be 11 seconds ) of excitment. Road race sessions can be 20 mins. turning, braking and accelerating.

Finally I don't think that I would be ever good a bracket racing. Not that I am bad at RTs (many in the sub .05 range), but having a 6 speed I can not be consistant with 1/4 mile times. If I miss 1 shift point I am missing my ET which when it comes down to the Big Boys you can't afford. In a road race I can make up time through being a better driver by braking later or exiting turns better.

I guess they are just different forms of racing. Who knows I might really stink at road racing and then I will have to move to Water sports like that ZR1 this weekend
Old 08-09-2005, 07:45 AM
tomg38
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Rattle 2004 C5

2004 C5 6 speed.
Recently purchased very low milage C5 with 6K miles. I have clutch rattle in neutral that seems to be clutch related because it goes away or changes pitch with activation of clutch. Also sounds like a metal cage rattle when accelerate in first gear or when lugging in higher gears.

Dealer says " normal and usual" condition. Showed me a tech sheet.

I am still skeptical

Any thoughts
Old 08-09-2005, 07:48 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by tomg38
2004 C5 6 speed.
Recently purchased very low milage C5 with 6K miles. I have clutch rattle in neutral that seems to be clutch related because it goes away or changes pitch with activation of clutch. Also sounds like a metal cage rattle when accelerate in first gear or when lugging in higher gears.

Dealer says " normal and usual" condition. Showed me a tech sheet.

I am still skeptical

Any thoughts
That is normal. The "Marbles in a Can" sound happens to all vettes. The rattle in neutral with the clutch out is also normal. If you push it in and the noise goes away that is good.

Have you tried shutting the car off in neutral without the clutch in that noise is really loud...
Old 08-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Mad_Maxxx
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
So I had my clutch replaced recently and I cannot remember if the old clutch rattled when the car was idling in nuetral.

I know the car makes a weird noise when it shuts down and the clutch is out with the car in neutral, but I am not sure if I remember the car making a noise when just sitting in neutral.

I know it is the clutch because when I press the clutch pedal in the noise stops. In gear, of course, I can tell what is going on because the clutch is either in or out, but definately there is a noise in neutral with the clutch out.

Just wondering...

thanks
I believe it's either the throw out bearing or the ball shaft/clutch fork area has a little clearance between them, which seems common on some Chevrolets (my s-10 does the same thing, and I do get some rattles from the vette from time to time). I think this is considered normal for this car.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:44 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CHRIS NJ C5
Its kinda funny how every 6 months there is a new "clutch of choice" The Luk is nice for a bone stock engine or a very mild one. They drive nice and all but I would go a little beefier. The Exedys were last years clutch of choice untill we came upon a bunch of issues. I really like the aussie clutch. Its a bit on the heavy side but it works pretty well. After I tried a few RPS clutches in customers cars I had to have one. Awesome pedal and very, very smooth. I have about 750 miles on mine and am very happy with it so far.. Maybe next week it will be a Spec stage 3 or something

You know I love to hate you ! you know what I want to know about cars.
You made your passion your living. I make a living on killing people with a passion . Lets trade ! My car never answers me back
Old 08-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

The Exedys were last years clutch of choice untill we came upon a bunch of issues.

Old 08-10-2005, 10:00 AM

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Geneus
Hey, yours is one of the 2 good ones
Old 08-10-2005, 11:05 AM
joghotrod
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

The noise you hear when the clutch is out is the spinning of the driveshaft and the gear rattle of the transmission. The main shaft of the trans is spinning and causing the gears to bumb into each other. This is a normal noise which we all hate but is normal. When you push the clutch pedal in everthing stops rotating and the noise stops. Jimmy
Old 08-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Hey, yours is one of the 2 good ones

hey get back to work so I can get my H/C package done before Pocono......

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Rattle Question

Quick Reply: Clutch Rattle Question