C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMW PVC Oil Catch Can -- where to buy for good price?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 06:11 PM
H20Vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMW PCV Oil Catch Can -- where to buy for good price?

The AMW website wants $160 and by the time you buy the bracket and pay for shipping its nearly $200! Seems much too high for what it is.

Is there a cheaper place to order one, such as a forum vendor or whatnot?

Thanks

Last edited by H20Vette; 08-16-2005 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:53 PM
EFI-1
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got mine from ECS. Great bunch of guys there.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:00 PM
H20Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by EFI-1
I got mine from ECS. Great bunch of guys there.
What's their website? Can't find it with search (don't know what "ECS" stands for). And what did it cost you?

I've seen other posts saying it was under $100 but they are sure not under $100 direct from ACW......
Old 08-16-2005, 08:09 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

they decided to double their fricking prices after seeing they sell to corvette people. I will never buy their crap..
Old 08-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I have been dealing with them for awhile. They recenty have increased their price by a pretty wide margin. When they first priced the cans they did not think they would sell any where close to the number they started to. The cans are very well worth $160 if you have ever seen the workmanship. I have to find out what we are now going to be paying since the price increase but I believe we as a dealer should be able to sell a few bucks under the retail and still make a couple bucks for ourselves. Feel free to call me if anyone has any questions and I will find out some pricing tomorrow.

Home of the Fastest Supercharged C5 8.4 @ 158mph
Home of the Fastest Supercharged IRS GTO 9.0@ 155
Home of the Fastest Supercharged C6 9.7 @ 143mph

Proud Sponsor of the ECS Corvette Challenge
http://www.corvettechallenge.info

609-752-0321
Old 08-16-2005, 09:13 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

all they have done is prove they are producing them for well under 65
bucks and sticking it to us. you can buy the exact same thing from greddy for 40 bucks..

dave
Old 08-16-2005, 10:43 PM
H20Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by CHRIS NJ C5
I have been dealing with them for awhile. They recenty have increased their price by a pretty wide margin. When they first priced the cans they did not think they would sell any where close to the number they started to. The cans are very well worth $160 if you have ever seen the workmanship. I have to find out what we are now going to be paying since the price increase but I believe we as a dealer should be able to sell a few bucks under the retail and still make a couple bucks for ourselves. Feel free to call me if anyone has any questions and I will find out some pricing tomorrow.
No oil catch can is worth $160. That's like saying a CNC machined coffee pot is worth $160. It's still just a coffee pot. To nearly double the price is just wrong. I would have snapped one up in a hearbeat at their old price... wish I had.

Do post your price on them, though. It'll have to be lower.... Thanks!

Does no other company make a oil catch can for the C5?

Last edited by H20Vette; 08-16-2005 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:46 PM
H20Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
all they have done is prove they are producing them for well under 65
bucks and sticking it to us. you can buy the exact same thing from greddy for 40 bucks..

dave
Do you have a link to the greddy product? I can't find it on greddy.com.
Thanks
Old 08-16-2005, 11:10 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://store.titanmotorsports.com/grcacan15hob.html

$84+ship (whatever that is) Looks like their prices have gone up too. Here's an article to help you install it.

http://www.2phast.com/Corvette/catchcan.htm

Here's a boat load more for you.

http://www.prostreetonline.com/store/engine/catch_cans/

If you REALLY want to save form $$$

http://www.nissansilvia.co.nz/tech/g...hettocatch.htm

Dont know how many of these would work for the LS1, so you're on your own, but there are a few options.

Disclaimer: Im not responsible if you blow your car up trying anything Ive posted.

Last edited by VetteNoob; 08-16-2005 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:20 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

dont have any handy but ebay has buy it nows all over for 34-44 bucks

dave
Old 08-17-2005, 12:50 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Wow I was going to buy one when they were $65......

DH
Old 08-17-2005, 05:04 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I had been e-mailing AMW for some time, as they weren't in stock. I got an e-mail a few weeks back stating they would be available to those who had requested one at the old price, but that the new price would be higher. The piece is very well made, has machined O-ring surfaces and looks like a high quality piece on the motor when installed. I have to admit I was blown away by their new price and glad I got it at the old one. I guess with the new price folks are going to have to decide if it is worth the money or shop elsewhere, but the part is very nice if you are considering it at all. By the way, the f-body guys over on LS1Tech had the same reaction as here, so it isn't just the Vette folks who have gotten burnt on the new price.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:46 AM
sprinter
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What the corvette tax!!! I bought mine for $80 I think which included shipping (not so good memory). You would think that AMW could maintain or lower the price as volume went up but no... This Pi**** me off and I would recommend everyone to boycott them. If Elite Engineering can bring quality products to the market at a resonable price, we should ask them to make us a catch can.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:43 AM
The Batman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You only have the market and your fellow LS1 owners to blame for the high cost. There are many alternatives, AMW doesn't monopolize the market for this type of product.

When I was looking for one, it was always out of stock. I finally got one used for a great price from the Parts forum here. Honestly, if I ran AMW, and saw that I was always out of stock on it and could not or did not want to keep too much stock on hand, I'd raise the price, too.

Some of you talk like AMW owes you a quality product at a low price. Don't take it personally, it's just business. I'm disappointed that the price is that high, too, but honestly, what would you do if you were in their position?

On the other hand, if enough of us voice our complaints and concerns about price gouging, AMW may cave in to the perceived customer base and future potential customers...drop 'em a line, can't hurt.

Last edited by The Batman; 08-17-2005 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:46 AM
H20Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by The Batman
Some of you talk like AMW owes you a quality product at a low price. Don't take it personally, it's just business. I'm disappointed that the price is that high, too, but honestly, what would you do if you were in their position?
If they want to sell them, it does not make sense to raise the price that much. As you raise the price, you will sell less. There is a point where you can maximize profits by raising the price, but past that point you will sell fewer and fewer and not make as much money as possible. At $80 I think they'd sell a ton. At $160, they will sell some, but most people will balk at that price and try other approaches.

Waiting to see what price CHRIS NJ C5 comes up with....
Old 08-17-2005, 10:15 AM
SpeedyZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad I seen this thread! I just ordered a AMW Catch Can yesterday and didn't even notice they doubled the price! I had been looking at their site so long waiting to get one I didn't even notice the price had doubled. I just canceled my order. Some of the cans in the above post look really nice for a lot less. I don't blame AMW for making money, but doubling the price is excessive. I agree with TT_Vert, AMW prove they are producing them for well under 65. The more you build the cheaper they should cost to build. It don't make since to raise the price because your making too many unless your just gouging the customer.

I was really looking forward to getting one of these cans but I will look at some of the others on the market. They can price them at what ever they want, we don't have to buy them.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:41 PM
MHVette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I had been e-mailing AMW for some time, as they weren't in stock. I got an e-mail a few weeks back stating they would be available to those who had requested one at the old price, but that the new price would be higher. The piece is very well made, has machined O-ring surfaces and looks like a high quality piece on the motor when installed. I have to admit I was blown away by their new price and glad I got it at the old one. I guess with the new price folks are going to have to decide if it is worth the money or shop elsewhere, but the part is very nice if you are considering it at all. By the way, the f-body guys over on LS1Tech had the same reaction as here, so it isn't just the Vette folks who have gotten burnt on the new price.
I too received this email and purchased mine at the old price! Great quality, great looking under the hood, and great insurance! I believe one of the LS1 forums is having a group price at around $140. It's worth $160 but glad I have the left over funds for the endlinks, coupler, & t-stat I just ordered Gotta love the parts for sale forum!

Get notified of new replies

To AMW PVC Oil Catch Can -- where to buy for good price?

Old 08-17-2005, 05:35 PM
04c5ragtop
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only way to make an impact is to stop buying them. If they can't sell them at $160, they will come back down in price. If they sell like wild-fire at $160, they will be $200 in 6 months.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:39 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Glad I picked mine up used from a forum member for $85--he never installed the part and now I am very glad that I got this as the price for this is way to high at $160.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:41 PM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

I had one of these and they are very well made and look great under the hood but I don't think they look good enough to pay $160, time for an alternative.

Quick Reply: AMW PVC Oil Catch Can -- where to buy for good price?