C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV Oil Catch Can Questions -- AMW vs homemade

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 10:15 AM
H20Vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV Oil Catch Can Questions -- AMW vs homemade

I've read some people say that the AMW catch can is a lot better than the campbell-hausfield homemade version. What makes the AMW version better? Is there something inside the AMW can that breaks up the air flow and forces the vaporized oil to seperate from the airstream better than the homemade version? If so, what is inside the AMW can that makes it so good?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2005, 10:32 AM
SpeedyZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was really disappointed in the AMW price increase. I waited a long time for them to get the cans in stock again just to find out they doubled their price. I too am looking for another option now.

I think the main thing you need in a catch can is something to get the oil out of the air. A screen is what I think AMW used. I would think something like stainless steel wool would work great. Anything that you can pull the air through and let the oil gather on will separate it from the air. Once it is out of the air and gathers on what ever is in there then the oil will drain to the bottom of the can keeping it from entering the air stream again.

If you find other options please let us know!

Good luck!
Old 08-17-2005, 10:48 AM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The AMW version has a larger surface area within to slow down the speed of the air and a large field of SS wool as a filter to separate the oil from the vapors. It's worth the money. But I bought mine at $80. Greddy has no filter and will not be as effective IMO.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:57 AM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Could you put some steel wool inside the Greddy? It's really similar to the stuff inside the AMW can.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:04 AM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

You'd have to cut it open because the can is sealed and then extend a hose into the wool fabric. Keep in mind how tight the engine compartment is.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:16 AM
H20Vette
Pro

Looks like there is a group purchase going on over at ls1tech.com right now. But there are a LOT of people flaming about the price increase to $160. The group purchase price is $140, but I am not sure if they have enough people. It ends the 19th.
Link:
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...&highlight=AMW
Old 08-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I also purchased mine at $80 approx. one year ago. Even with the price increase I would buy it! Its a quality unit that works and looks great. You would be amazed how much oil that catch can collects after a weekend of road racing/HPDE. Keeps your intake manifold clean. Definitely a good mod!

Originally Posted by IM QUIKR
The AMW version has a larger surface area within to slow down the speed of the air and a large field of SS wool as a filter to separate the oil from the vapors. It's worth the money. But I bought mine at $80. Greddy has no filter and will not be as effective IMO.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:20 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by IM QUIKR
You'd have to cut it open because the can is sealed and then extend a hose into the wool fabric. Keep in mind how tight the engine compartment is.
Thanks for the info.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:08 PM
C5dream
Racer

I also have the AMW catch can. This is probably one of the better mods you can do to an ls1. You would be amazed on how much oil that thing will catch. Gives you a much cleaner air and won't puddle up in the intake like stock will.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:36 PM
MHVette
Burning Brakes

I just purchased my AMW a few weeks ago. They sent out a mailing to everyone who had emailed them with previous interest & also stated to buy it now b/c they were raising their rates. I purchased mine @ 80 but purchased the LS1 bracket for 25 I believe as well. (Anodized Red) Looks great but since I've only had it on a few weeks and haven't really had a chance to run the Vette hard for any extended amount of time. Therefore, the only time I checked it, the can was still clean as a whistle! (I guess thats a good thing - & yes I installed it correctly.) It's worth the group purchase price without a doubt!
Old 08-17-2005, 04:51 PM
joghotrod
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

If you want to find out how well the catch can is working, put a G3 Fram fuel filter after the can and see how much oil gets past the can. You will be supprised at how much oil vapor get past the can. I run a oil separator that I bought from Grainger, plus a filter. Much cheaper than a pretty can that is overpriced. Jimmy
Old 08-17-2005, 05:04 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by joghotrod
If you want to find out how well the catch can is working, put a G3 Fram fuel filter after the can and see how much oil gets past the can. You will be supprised at how much oil vapor get past the can. I run a oil separator that I bought from Grainger, plus a filter. Much cheaper than a pretty can that is overpriced. Jimmy

How about some part#'s and prices..

Also some pics of your setup would be great!!

DH
Old 08-17-2005, 05:17 PM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

That's probably true, which is why I mounted mine up front on the right side frame rail where it's cooler and the hoses drain down hill into the can. The mount up on the engine is too close to the port IMO. It looks nice but is less effective IMO. If you can strain out most of the oil you will be just fine. To eliminate all the oily vapors you need to just disconnect the system all together. If you put on a highly restrictive filter and slow down the air flow then you have hampered the PCVs effectiveness IMO. Those filters from grainger operate at much higher PSI and air volumes. 20mmHg is roughly 10psi and under those conditions will struggle to draw much air thru your system.

Old 08-17-2005, 05:21 PM
joghotrod
Burning Brakes

The separator I use cost me about $40 from Grainger and it is used on air compressors. The fuel filter is a G3 Fram that you can get from Wal Mart for $3.00. The point I was trying to make is most of these catch cans and oil separators don't remove all of the oil vapor. That is why I use the fuel filter after the separator. When its get dirty I change it. Jimmy P.S. I wrap mine in insulation and stuff it next to the Batt. to keep it cool.

Last edited by joghotrod; 08-17-2005 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:13 PM
arkansascorvette
Instructor

Default Oil vapor entrapment

Same here, air line oil separator and fuel filter with 3/8 barbs...no oil vapor in my manifold!
Old 08-23-2005, 02:38 PM
screw991le
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

The separator I use cost me about $40 from Grainger and it is used on air compressors. The fuel filter is a G3 Fram that you can get from Wal Mart for $3.00. The point I was trying to make is most of these catch cans and oil separators don't remove all of the oil vapor. That is why I use the fuel filter after the separator. When its get dirty I change it. Jimmy P.S. I wrap mine in insulation and stuff it next to the Batt. to keep it cool.

Part # ect, please

And pictures!!!!!!!

Last edited by screw991le; 08-23-2005 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:11 PM
joghotrod
Burning Brakes

I don't have part numbers other than the G3 Fram filter from Wal Mart. Just go to Grainger and look in their book and find one that you like the price of. Mine cost me about $40. It is black with a black plastic cover around the glass. Good Luck, Jimmy
Old 08-23-2005, 04:42 PM
98C5RT
Burning Brakes

Location: Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Republic of Texas

Try www.grainger.com and look for the following:

P/N 4RA15 (3/8"; 150 psi; 25 cfm; 125F max temp) $48.00
P/N 4RA16 (3/8"; 250 psi; 25 cfm; 175F max temp) $52.20

Get notified of new replies

To PCV Oil Catch Can Questions -- AMW vs homemade

Quick Reply: PCV Oil Catch Can Questions -- AMW vs homemade