C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

catch can and oil burning

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 07:09 PM
xxsvtcobrakidxx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default catch can and oil burning

my car is burning a qt every 1200 miles will the catch can do anything for this?? im not sure if the cause is the rings or the pcv. how could i determine what the cause is??? thanks guys
Old 10-01-2005, 07:12 PM
PHPD7102
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

GM told me 1 quart every 1500 miles is "Accepetable", since your under that I would try and get them to pay for a re-ring job. I'm betting its your rings because C5's are notorious for it.

Since I had my car re-ringed I catch about 1/2 inch of oil (in a little dixie cup) in my catch can every 3k miles and I never need to add oil between oil changes anymore.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:34 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PHPD7102
GM told me 1 quart every 1500 miles is "Accepetable", since your under that I would try and get them to pay for a re-ring job. I'm betting its your rings because C5's are notorious for it.

Since I had my car re-ringed I catch about 1/2 inch of oil (in a little dixie cup) in my catch can every 3k miles and I never need to add oil between oil changes anymore.
The catch can won't solve this problem but it will show you how much blow by your getting as opposed to ring leakage.

Get notified of new replies

To catch can and oil burning

Quick Reply: catch can and oil burning