C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well it broke again!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 11:48 AM
BuzzZo6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well it broke again!

Can you freakin believe this GM sent me a new crate motor for my Zo6 after a valve spring broke and destroyed the #5 cylinder. With the new motor installed in the car and while the car is still on the lift the engine is cranked up, runs for about five minutes to check for leaks and then something let loose in the bottom end of motor. It started making a loud slapping noise first. We shut down the motor and pulled off the valve covers to see if a rocker had come loose,nothing was out of place. Called the service supervisor, crank up the motor still making the slapping noise, he crawls up onto the motor while it's running and says after he climbs off the motor to raise it on the lift. He grabs a screw driver and places it against the oil pan and clutch assembly area and states he thinks it the clutch assembly. Yeah right before putting the motor I had the tech install a new Luk pro gold clutch kit on the motor.Well we drop the entire tranny assembly,fire it up again slapping noise still there. Well another new motor is being installed, they have never seen this before and I cant believe my luck.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:59 AM
MHVette
Burning Brakes

That 's! The third time is the charm!
Old 10-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Jstyle
Burning Brakes

Wow damn thats pretty bad luck.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:20 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Don't go to Vegas!
Old 10-04-2005, 01:51 PM
roSSco
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Don't go to Vegas!
or waste money on a lottery ticket. Bummer dude!
Old 10-04-2005, 04:59 PM
ZO6guy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is crazy - coonsidering that these motors are hand built and tested prior to shippment. In Fact I read an article on the build of LS6 and the LS7 motors and they are claiming these are actually built by a third party in a GM plant in Michigan. I hate to hear that but like we all know it is mechanical and all mechanical things are subject to failure. One ould think you could have at least drove the car first!

Get notified of new replies

To Well it broke again!

Quick Reply: Well it broke again!